SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with the middle catch/hinge on my drivers door. I'm not sure what the right term for it is, it has detents in it to keep the door in a fixed position. It has started making a knock when it gets halfway. I tried lithium grease, WD-40, no change to it. It looks like you have to pull the inner door panel off to really get to the part. Any advice on a fix? Thanks in advance if you can offer any advice.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The door check
It's broken (common,) and if you don't replace it now, it becomes worse. It seizes up and when you try to open the door it can pull it right out of the body!
Look in there carefully while opening the door slowly, look where it attaches to the jamb. Make sure it's tight or hasn't already started to break off or is loose.
In the meantime, tighten up ALL the attchment bolts.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The door check
It's broken (common,) and if you don't replace it now, it becomes worse. It seizes up and when you try to open the door it can pull it right out of the body!
Look in there carefully while opening the door slowly, look where it attaches to the jamb. Make sure it's tight or hasn't already started to break off or is loose.
In the meantime, tighten up ALL the attchment bolts.
The jamb attachments are still good. It just started making the noise a few days ago. I just looked it up at Tasca, it was $50 with shipping. I'll have to see what the local dealer wants. Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I replace it right away. Appreciate the help. I figured something had just broken since it never made any noise before & now lubing it didn't change anything. I had no clue what the right term for that part would have been.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I'm having an issue with the middle catch/hinge on my drivers door. I'm not sure what the right term for it is, it has detents in it to keep the door in a fixed position. It has started making a knock when it gets halfway. I tried lithium grease, WD-40, no change to it. It looks like you have to pull the inner door panel off to really get to the part. Any advice on a fix? Thanks in advance if you can offer any advice.
You can get them for around $35 from FCP. To replace, pull the door panel and then there is a translucent plastic panel you need to remove.

In this picture of the drivers door, you can see the opening below the woofer, to the right of the black square.

It takes a bit manuevering to get the limiter in/out of the door cavity, but its pretty self explanatory how it bolts in :thumbup:

Fix it now, before this happens :facepalm:

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
and while you're at it, (you see that it can pull out of the soor jamb) if you have nimble fingers put a pair of thick reinforcing washers behind the door jamb bolts on re-installation

·
Registered
475 Posts
Andy, nice speakers, here's my front door, great choice! How do you like them? At first, I wasn't real pleased with them. I just had to retrain myself, after too many years of turning the bass all or most of the way up and treble about the same, now I just leave them both centered, the balance just a touch toward favoring the rear and I am actually very pleased with the Alpines in the front and the OEM speakers in the rear doors. All of my OEM dash (dont have center) and rear pillar speakers are working quite well. I'm using a SC-901 HU.

I don't want to hijack this thread, I just saw something familiar and thought I would comment. Maybe replies about the speakers should go here...

Speaker Upgrade. What to Get
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48451

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Thanks! I have the SPS components in the front doors and co-axials in the rear doors, and they're pretty good for the price. The tweeters are a bit bright at (very) high volumes in my opinion, and they don't have the best low-end response (doesn't bother me) so no real complaints here.

This is why I'm not worried about low-end response from my Alpine's :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll have to fix that before anything else breaks. I needed to pull that panel anyway to see if I can figure out why the speaker stops working once in a while. I pulled it once already & couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the new door check in today. That wasn't bad at all. Just took a few minutes to figure out how to snake it out of the hole. Thanks again everyone for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts