SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The part listed below. My 2005 AWD is leaking along the seam above the oil sensor. I'm going on my 5th round of JB Weld, but the leaks just keeps moving down or up the seam.
I really don't want to pull the motor out, but at least I do have my own engine hoist. ;-(

enginecomponents.jpg

After try #3
IMG_20190607_1537299.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did do that glove test. My vacuum not as good as the video guy, but still sucking in. Initially I tried many different methods to seal the new sensor to no avail. When I finally removed the intake tube to the Throttle Body and started the engine I could see it leaking out of the seam right above the sensor. I was able to find 3 other instances on the web of this block leaking and all were 2005 models like mine. This car has relatively low miles with 118k so I thought I might be spared some major issue like this. ;-)
Going to remove the starter today and JB Weld the seam as far as I can to the right. If that doesn't do it, I could drop the oil pan and re-torque all the intermediate block bolts. If that doesn't do it, then it is pull the engine or park in the dirt all the time and top off the oil every gas fill up. ;-)

I'm no expert but wonder if it's possible, I guess the engine mounts are attached to that lower block half. Basically, it's like tearing up the engine.

But are you sure it's not the sensor itself leaking, not sealing properly ? Is the PCV working fine ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8kUQxhT_8

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removed the starter and engine mount for better access.
IMG_20190609_1141433_1560106923877.jpg

Then laid in all the JB Weld I could. Will give it a 24 hour cure and start the motor to check for leaks.
IMG_20190609_1154474_1560107107639.jpg

·
Registered
512 Posts
Removed the starter and engine mount for better access. Then laid in all the JB Weld I could. Will give it a 24 hour cure and start the motor to check for leaks.
View attachment 52051
Looks like a good good. Fingers crossed. For the PCV, I would recommend replacing it anyway at 120k miles (even well before that), replace or clean well/inspect all components including the ptc nipple. Part clogged ptc or any PCV component will cause internal engine pressure and oil seals leak. There should be quite a strong vacuum at the oil filler cap, not just a little.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I might as well since it is not much work at this point to remove the intake manifold for access. Even though it has only 118k I know the previous owner did not live far from work and did not need the freeway to get there. Her husband also said she never drove fast either. It could then have had many cycles where it did not get up to full operating temp.

Looks like a good good. Fingers crossed. For the PCV, I would recommend replacing it anyway at 120k miles (even well before that), replace or clean well/inspect all components including the ptc nipple. Part clogged ptc or any PCV component will cause internal engine pressure and oil seals leak. There should be quite a strong vacuum at the oil filler cap, not just a little.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I promised myself I would stop if it leaked again, bu it was such a small leak, so one more time! :)

IMG_20190612_1102356.jpg

I did take off the turbo plastic intake to check the PTC and it is clean as a whistle. Blew some air back up it's hose and it came right out the oil filler oil no problem.
If the block leaks again I'm just going to drive it, park it in the rock part of our driveway and check the oil level to top it off as needed. Have a big deck project going on at the house, so that has priority.

while other things are off, will take of the TB and clean it.
IMG_20190605_1137292.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts