SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The automatic-on function of the Xenons has become annoying.

They fire when I start in the garage, then shut off a few seconds after I back out into the light. They fire when it's cloudy. They fire sometimes when I'm in the shade.

I know when to turn on my headlights! I want the automation off. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: Any way to disable automatic-on for Xenon headlights? (Rick_Auricchio)

If memory serves, a visit to your dealer can get the automatic on function turned off. But in California, you will run the risk of getting ticketed if you fail to turn on the headlights during bad weather. The automatic on function keeps you out of ticketing territory - if the lights fail to turn on, you have a nice manufacturer's defect defense.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any way to disable automatic-on for Xenon headlights? (avolvofan)

Quote, originally posted by avolvofan »
If memory serves, a visit to your dealer can get the automatic on function turned off. But in California, you will run the risk of getting ticketed if you fail to turn on the headlights during bad weather.
Thanks. I'll ask them.

As for turning on the headlights, a) Nobody is going to notice because the halogen DRLs are always on even if the Xenons are off, and b) If it gets reasonably dark, I'll turn 'em on.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: Any way to disable automatic-on for Xenon headlights? (Rick_Auricchio)

Quote, originally posted by Rick_Auricchio »
Thanks. I'll ask them.

As for turning on the headlights, a) Nobody is going to notice because the halogen DRLs are always on even if the Xenons are off, and b) If it gets reasonably [Emphasis added.] dark, I'll turn 'em on.
This is where the issue will occur. If your definition of reasonable doesn't agree with the CHP or local constabulary definition of reasonable, guess who looses? With the factory setting, if there is an issue, you have a defense. The moment you change the factory setting, your defense evaporates.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Any way to disable automatic-on for Xenon headlights? (avolvofan)

I agree, but with the halogen DRLs always on, it won't be an issue. If the DRLs were off, that would be a different story. And this is an issue for every other car on the road without DRLs, so I wouldn't be alone there.

I don't want DRLs off, of course; I just don't want the Xenons automatically firing all the time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The solution for your problem is quite simple. All you have to do is to tell the vehicle its always bright and sunny out.

In the middle of your dash, there is a little red light that blinks when you arm the immobilizer. The red light is attached to a whole unit that Volvo calls solar sensor which also houses two photocells.

As you can see in the wiring diagram, pin 1 and 4 is the photocell anode while pin 5 is cathode.

If you create a jumper made of thin piece of solid copper wire to connect pin 4 and 5, then current will always flow thus tricking your vehicle into thinking it's bright out and will keep the bi-xenon from firing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i've always wondered if this was possible as well. i park in underground garages all the time and my solution to the auto-on xenons was to turn the parking lights on before i start the car (or entering a tunnel), and then turn them off before i turn my car off.

the flaw with my solution was that i'd often forget to turn off my parking lights before getting outta the car.

omg. you're awesome civster. i suppose this'll be the first mod i do to my car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (roykim)

Quote, originally posted by civster »
All you have to do is to tell the vehicle its always bright and sunny out.
I say that all the time, but it doesn't listen!

Excellent, simple solution! Thank you!

I note there are two photocells in the package. Any idea what the other one is for?

I know that the interior-light sensor appears to be right below the climate-control buttons; I found that out one day because I leaned something against the little hole in the panel, and the instrument panel dimmed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I note there are two photocells in the package. Any idea what the other one is for?

Both photocells are used to determine whether to fire the headlights or not.

I chose pin 4 and 5 in my original post because they are next to each other thus minimizing the risk of shorting to other pins.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just picked up a few parts to connect the garage door light to a small spot light directly over the sensor. When the Mrs. goes out to the car and opens the garage, the photocell will be hit with the spot light and not go on before she pulls out. This is a $10 solution.

jib

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: (jib)

Quote, originally posted by jib »
I just picked up a few parts to connect the garage door light to a small spot light directly over the sensor. When the Mrs. goes out to the car and opens the garage, the photocell will be hit with the spot light and not go on before she pulls out. This is a $10 solution.

jib

Does the sensor read every few seconds? What happens the moment your wife moves the car out of the illuminated zone of the spot light while still inside the garage?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (AccuView)

Thanks for the photocell clarification.

And I really like the garage-light solution, which solves a large percentage of the problem.

The challenge will be trying to get the photocell assembly out of the dash. From the drawing, it appears to be a straightforward snap-in unit. But I'll have to find some time to work carefully on it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Rick_Auricchio)

Ah, so easy, but so hard...

The sensor popped out very easily, but:

1) There are only three wires (pins 1, 3, and 5). I don't see any outward evidence of photocells.

2) The auto light control and panel brightness reacts to light presence at the tiny panel hole below the climate buttons. I tested this with a flashlight in the garage, creating artificial "daylight" with the flashlight. The Xenons and panel followed the light/dark cycles.

I was hoping for the easy jumper solution; seems it may be a tad tougher. (And we can't simply keep a light on that interior sensor, because the panel lights would then never dim enough at night.)

Could this have been a change for MY04?

By the way, it appears to be a about a five-second response to daylight or darkness.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

There are only three wires (pins 1, 3, and 5).

From the diagram above, you could use pins 1 and 5 instead of 4 and 5.

I don't see any outward evidence of photocells.

Probably, the photodiode is housed together with the red led used for the alarm function. After all, those two functions are never used together, right?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: (ig_mb)

The other problem may be that the photo cell on the dash may be used for the auto climate control system. Most modern systems use a photo cell on the dash to sense day light and will change the auto climate control depending on outside temps and the climate control settings (ie set at 68 and 90 AND sunny outside, it makes it colder to compensate, if cloudy, it adjusts the temperature a little to the warm side).

Anyone know where those photo cells are located (near the climate control, or in the red led housing)?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (ig_mb)

Quote, originally posted by ig_mb »
Probably, the photodiode is housed together with the red led used for the alarm function. After all, those two functions are never used together, right?
I like the way you think!

Quote, originally posted by need4spd »
The other problem may be that the photo cell on the dash may be used for the auto climate control system.
I agree. I've felt more-than-expected cool air from the upper vents on a cool day. But there was plenty of sun on the upper dash, which would trigger extra A/C to anticipate sun loading.

So, three pins on the dash-top LED unit implies both an LED and perhaps a photocell there. And the xenons and instrument panel respond to the photocell below the climate buttons. We need more study here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
There are only three wires (pins 1, 3, and 5). I don't see any outward evidence of photocells.

You are absolutely right about the 3 wire connection for the solar sensor. I was looking at a 2005 wiring diagram which has an updated solar sensor.

Before MY2005, the solar sensor has only one photocell and it is directly attached to the CCM (Climate Control Module).

The auto light control and panel brightness reacts to light presence at the tiny panel hole below the climate buttons. I tested this with a flashlight in the garage, creating artificial "daylight" with the flashlight. The Xenons and panel followed the light/dark cycles.

According to the 2003 wiring diagram, there are no other photocell type sensor except for the one in the dash. However, if the CCM has a photocell integrated in it, that will not show in the wiring diagram. Maybe in VIDA, by I don't have access to that one.

For those with MY2005 or newer and wanting to disable the automatic headlights, jumping pin 4 and 5 is the solution. Pin 1 is the anode for the photocell that is used for the electronic climate control and should be left alone.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Seems like Volvo really put too much thought into the the lights...
Before I took delivery of my T6, I asked the dealer to disable the DRL's (personal choice, no need to beat this topic to death!).
When I took delivery, the DRL's were still firing, however and the dealer said that they downloaded the appropriate sw. Oh well, not too big of a deal. I did get annoyed at the HID's firing in the garage, however, so ended up putting a tiny piece of electrical tape over the sensor below the air-flow buttons.
I now have full manual control:
In the "O" position, all lights are off.
In position I, only the parking lights are on.
In position II, the HID's fire.

Sooooo, whatever sw the dealer downloaded to supposedly disable the DRL's did something because I've now tricked my T6 into thinking it's dark out 100% of the time, but the HID's do not fire in the "O" position.
Like I said... they over thought this one, IMO.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (Doanster)

Quote, originally posted by Doanster »
... I asked the dealer to disable the DRL's ...ended up putting a tiny piece of electrical tape over the sensor below the air-flow buttons.
I now have full manual control:
In the "O" position, all lights are off.
In position I, only the parking lights are on.
In position II, the HID's fire.
So the electrical tape, as you say, makes it always dark. And because DRLs are disabled, no headlights illuminate. Which is why the HIDs don't automatically fire either.

Then, when you switch to position II, everything fires as it should.

I'll have to ask the dealer whether the automatic HID-firing can be disabled while still keeping DRLs lit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts