SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first car was a Mitsu Eclipse turbo. You could get more airflow noise by removing the silencer from the air filter can. This also boosted airflow a bit as the silencer was a mild restriction.

Wouldn't mind a bit more turbo noice from the 2.5T, basically airflow or the wastegate popping.

Is there an easy way to do this on the XC90?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: Any way for more "turbo noise"? (rfkuehn)

I'd like to know too as I want to hear more turbo noise as well. My first turbo was a '82 Saab. Man that thing would turn heads. Very cool sounding. Just like a jet taking off when it kicked in.

I then got a '86 Saab Turbo and they really quieted it down. I asked my dealer why they did that and he said "because people were getting into accidents trying to hear their turbos spin up". Don't know if that was true or not, but I sure loved to pump the gas in the '82 just to hear it. Never got into an accident over it though…

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
get an ECU upgrade. it will force the turbo to make more boost. you'll get not only more noise, but a bit more power...and when you get on the gas, or get off the gas .b/c there is more boost being made, you should hear more turbo whistle under boost, and more "whoosh" when you let off gas as the boost bleeds off...

check with IPD or EVOLVE. i beliee they both offer upgrades for the turbo XC90s

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already got the ECU done, not sure if it came with more noise or not. Too bad noise isn't a mod you can do eletronically...

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rfkuehn »
... removing the silencer from the air filter can.... basically airflow or the wastegate popping.
You could eliminate the stock airbox and replace it with an exposed performance air filter such as K&N. That would let quite a bit of noise out.

The wastegate doesn't pop, perhaps you are thinking of a blowoff valve? The Volvo turbo is equipped with a different technology - a CBV or recirculation valve. To change that to a blowoff would be a big mistake.

Tom.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I meant the blowoff valve... prior car sounded great.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Get yourself a nice 3" DP from IPD or EST and an EST cat-back exhaust. I did so on my R and the overall sound of the car is WAY nicer.

Turn up your subwoofer and click on this pic to hear it:

From the front of the car (and inside the car) you can hear the rush of the turbo much more than stock and you get a nice gurgle when reving.

LTA

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. I'm looking at exhaust but waiting for one with a single set of twin tips, prefer the low-key OEM look.

Anyone know if an exposed cone air filter will fit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts