SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any T8s been delivered to US customers yet? I have been told that the EPA issue will not delay deliveries by my sales rep, who querried Volvo HQ.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My dealer told me that he had to call everyone who was expecting a T8 in December & January to tell them that it would be February.

(although this may be at least partially a California thing)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My sales rep did mention delays for CA customers, however, my at port date is 30 Dec, so I make the assumption it will not take over a month to make it from the port to dealer. Just not sure where the disconnect in info is, as she told me she spoke with Volvo HQ, who held a meeting on this topic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My T8 has been sitting at port in CA since Dec 5th waiting on EPA clearance. You can see from fuel economy.gov that the car isn't cleared yet. EPA issue is for sure holding deliveries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
My sales rep did mention delays for CA customers, however, my at port date is 30 Dec, so I make the assumption it will not take over a month to make it from the port to dealer. Just not sure where the disconnect in info is, as she told me she spoke with Volvo HQ, who held a meeting on this topic.
Maybe she means your car probably will not be delayed by EPA. Many earlier T8's have been delayed already.

What is your rep's exact word? If she said EPA will not delay T8 deliveries, then she is at best not well-informed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is exactly what she said....

"No delay for you with EPA clearance, but there is a software upgrade that will hold your car up when it gets to the US, just while they carry that out.

If it was going to CA it would held there waiting CA certification."

She was not able to tell me what was included in the software upgrade. She had previously told me it was delayed at factory in order to recieve the big software update in Nov, so I really don't know what other software upgrade has been released??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not yet, but been at the port in Baltimore as of 12/15. Hoping it makes its way to Chicago soon.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Waiting on mine which is at port as well (east coast) ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealer told me that he had to call everyone who was expecting a T8 in December & January to tell them that it would be February.

(although this may be at least partially a California thing)
RPM and Transitwill.....did you recieve a call from your dealers informing you delivery would be delayed until Feb? I don not doubt what you are saying CBM, i am just curious if this reached all dealers. I just can't believe Volvo HQ is unaware all of the T8s are stuck at the port and are not communicating this to all customers/or pushing hard on EPA to give a date of when the review will be finished.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How much more subtle a message should Uncle Sam send you guys. Buy American - US manufacturers' distribution channels are completely stuffed and there is only so much government can buy. No new foreign cars. If I was Volvo I would stop making US T8s full stop and stop taking the blame for being inefficient. Of course no foreign manufacturer would dare to even peep against this nonsense as they would be instantly made target of the next investigation. In the meantime the batteries are probably degrading from lack of use, Volvo has tons of working capital tied up in all those cars they can't deliver and consumers are fizzling. What if come February they say - April?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Many states (pennsylvania is one) require that their cars meet california qualification, so i expect that CARB certification holdups will affect t8 deliveries beyond california.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How much more subtle a message should Uncle Sam send you guys. Buy American - US manufacturers' distribution channels are completely stuffed and there is only so much government can buy. No new foreign cars. If I was Volvo I would stop making US T8s full stop and stop taking the blame for being inefficient. Of course no foreign manufacturer would dare to even peep against this nonsense as they would be instantly made target of the next investigation. In the meantime the batteries are probably degrading from lack of use, Volvo has tons of working capital tied up in all those cars they can't deliver and consumers are fizzling. What if come February they say - April?
I'll wait...best design out there; besides, anticipation is half the fun. Hopefully get a few free goodies/accessories for perseverence!
Epa is being especially alert since the vw cheating.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
This is all nonsense.

EPA is in a tizzy over VW scandal. Delaying everyone - including US manufacturers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
RPM and Transitwill.....did you recieve a call from your dealers informing you delivery would be delayed until Feb? I don not doubt what you are saying CBM, i am just curious if this reached all dealers. I just can't believe Volvo HQ is unaware all of the T8s are stuck at the port and are not communicating this to all customers/or pushing hard on EPA to give a date of when the review will be finished.
No call from dealer. I've tracked it using our VIN and 2wglobal. But I've contacted our dealer and asked about whether they heard anything about EPA delays, or anything else we should expect in terms of delay (our rep is pretty no nonsense) and here is the latest response:

"We have had some vehicles coming in later than the ETAs, right now your vehicle (As of today -12/18 ) *is showing a 12/23 dealer ETA. There has been no other info"

I'm not expecting to get it Wednesday and am prepared for at least a several week wait.

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1. Many of these European manufacturers employee thousands of US workers in the South and prop up those local economies. State and Federal govt are bending over backwards to entice them to open factories in the US - they arent going to jeopardize that with a scheme that you suggest.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Call me paranoid but first thing that popped into my mind when I heard EPA was holding newly delivered xc90 T8s in the ports for such long time was totoyota carpet gate in 09 - I trust my gut. US carmakers were getting destroyed in a free market back then and needed a helping hand. Remove the channel stuffing and look at subprime auto loan figures and they are in even worse shape now.
Also you see euro devalue a third against the greenback - the prices you guys get charged on European imports are crazy cheap - so conveniently the biggest European competitor gets a knock out punch and everyone else gets put on hold whilst EPA ponders.

I don't know if US manufacturers are also on hold for new models but I know that even if that's the case all new models on hold favours a guy with tons of unsold stock onshore.

Regarding American jobs - Given the choice between us own carmakers going out of business and foreign ones not building US factories - no contest what's better for US jobs.

I hope I am wrong and you get your cars soon though. It's a real shame.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Maybe the big software update is so the cars will MEET EPA testing. Ever think of that?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Maybe the big software update is so the cars will MEET EPA testing. Ever think of that?
If this is the case, those T8's at port now should be able to get the software update and be released to dealer.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 93 Posts