SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 08 S80 3.2 has been throwing the P0190 code for a while (fuel rail pressure sensor). All the symptoms of a faulty FPS are there so I ordered the sensor and it is due to arrive today. Hoping to tackle this project tonight. Has anyone done this on their own S80? Any tips or anything I should be aware of, any idea on how easy of a job this is to do?

thanks!

·
3,391 Posts
It's very straight forward to change. It's sandwiched between the valve cover and the intake plenum/manifold. Here is a photo showing its location. Simply remove and replace. Of course, make sure the engine isn't running.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect, that is quite a bit easier than expected. I have not had a chance to do this yet but planning on swapping it out tonight. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looks like I am going to have to take it somewhere to have this done. In the 3.2 I can not find a short enough torx bit or wrence to fit the space. I simply cannot get to the bolt which sucks because this is such an easy job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any tips on replacing the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor on a 2008 xc90 3.2??

I am looking at replacing the fuel rail sensor on Bank A on my 2008 XC90 but honestly I am having a hard time locating it. Also, what should I know to replace it? Seems pretty easy from what I see here and my mechanic wants $208 to do it himself. Just wanted to see if anybody can help out a new Volvo owner. THANKS DEWEY

·
Registered
4 Posts
2008 XC90 V8 Fuel Pressure Sensor

I am looking at replacing the fuel rail sensor on Bank A on my 2008 XC90 but honestly I am having a hard time locating it. Also, what should I know to replace it? Seems pretty easy from what I see here and my mechanic wants $208 to do it himself. Just wanted to see if anybody can help out a new Volvo owner. THANKS DEWEY
The Fuel "Pressure" Sensor is located under the Throttle Body Housing on the driver side of the engine, in the V8. Bit of an ordeal to get at it. That all has to removed to access it. (Relieve the fuel pressure at Schrader valve, before attempting removal of sensor.)
Unless someone else has another procedure that I am unaware of ? The Fuel "Rail" Sensor is at the end of the Fuel Rail. One for each bank. They are readily accessible.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well looks like I am going to have to take it somewhere to have this done. In the 3.2 I can not find a short enough torx bit or wrence to fit the space. I simply cannot get to the bolt which sucks because this is such an easy job.
Yeah, no kidding.

None of my proper tools fit in there.

I was able to find a small enough t25 bit to cram it in there (from a computer toolkit by ifixit, of all places).

I tried twisting it with a small adjustable wrench, but it was stuck on there too good. Ther wrench just wound up spinning around the bit :(

I don't know how the pros do this either.

Whoever is responsible for designing this deserves a few swift kicks to the nuts.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Alright, I was finally able to get mine done.

I went on a mission to find the right tool, which was easier said than done. I stumped the people working in the tool departments of both Lowes and Home Depot when I told them I needed to remove a t25 bolt with ~1" of clearance. The Home Depot guy was very helpful, spent some time walking up and down the aisles trying to find something, anything to make it work, but no dice.

In the end, Autozone had what I needed. This cute little thing:

It wasn't in the tool aisle, but rather up front in the shelves under the register. The package it came in had a few bits, including a t20, but unfortunately no t25's, so I had to buy one of those separately.

I didn't know if it was going to fit leaving the store, as measuring it with my caliper it was right on the hairy edge. I figured worse comes to worse, maybe I can cut off some material on the base of the bit to shorten it. Turns out that was not necessary.

It just barely fit in there, and I was able to use it to overcome the stuck bit and get it loose. After that I quickly ran out of space to work with, so I had to twist the bit between my fingers in the limited space I had to work with, which was difficult, as it was high resistance. With my big hands this was pretty difficult, so I lost my bit to the engine compartment somewhere. It never came out the bottom, and I cannot find it. Hopefully it has not made its way into something where it can do damage. So I had to go off to the store, and get more t25 bits.

Finally back, I decided to use some PB Blaster to loosen the bolt further. It worked. The thing came out with ease.

One thing to note here. Despite pulling the fuel pump fuse, and starting the car, running it until it stalled, and then attempting a few more starts, there is still A LOT of fuel in the fuel rail. I had some paper towels underneath it, but they quickly got soaked as I fumbled to get the replacement back in there.

Because of this, I haven't started the car back up yet. I'm waiting for the excess fuel to evaporate just in case. Last thing I need is an engine fire. I put a big 20" box fan on top of it blowing fresh air in there to speed up the evaporation.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Volvo XC60 3.2, and just replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor. A few tips, in addition to what's on this thread. I used a L-shaped T25 Torx key to loosen the screw, and ultimately to re-tighten it. That's the only thing I could find that would work in such a confined space, and it did the job. Also, and this will make the job much easier, you should first unscrew the air filter cover, and pull it towards the front of the car. You need a torx T25 screwdriver to do this. That will give you more room to work. If you don't do this, you won't have enough room to turn the Torx key, because it will keep hitting the air filter duct. Lastly, it's easy to fumble and drop the retaining screw, as well as the tool you're working with. Keep a rag under the sensor, not just to catch spilled gas, but to also catch anything you may drop. You don't want those things going into the engine. When you are ready to switch the sensor, be prepared. Have the O-ring on the new part all lubed and ready with silicone grease. Pull the old part out with your left hand, and insert the new part in with your right. You won't spill much gas then, and that should be absorbed by the rag underneath. Hope that helps anyone in the same situation.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor on both my S80 and XC60. It is an easy 15-minute job if you have the right tool. Like the last post says you need an L-shaped T25 torx wrench. There is just one screw, but you can't access it any other way. Also, the 3.2 and T6 do no look like the pic above which is a V8. Hope this helps.

Tekton Torx Star Key Wrench Set on Amazon:

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Fuel pressure sensor is located under the plastic engine cover on the right end of the aluminum fuel rail.

2. Relieve the pressure in the fuel rail otherwise you will get fuel everywhere. There is no relief valve, so remove the fuel pump fuse located under the glove box. Step on the brake and start the igintion. It won't start, but will empty the fuel rail.

3. Unplug the electrical connector on the fuel rail pressure sensor.

4. Place a rag under the sensor to catch fuel or the screw if it drops.

5. Use the L-shaped T25 torx wrench to remove the screw. Be careful not to drop the screw.

6. Apply white grease or vaseline to the O-ring on the new sensor.

7. Remove the old sensor and quickly insert the new sensor.

8. Reinstall the screw and electrical connector.

9. Replace the fuse under the glove box.

·
Registered
824 Posts
So my 08 S80 3.2 has been throwing the P0190 code for a while (fuel rail pressure sensor). All the symptoms of a faulty FPS are there so I ordered the sensor and it is due to arrive today. Hoping to tackle this project tonight. Has anyone done this on their own S80? Any tips or anything I should be aware of, any idea on how easy of a job this is to do?

thanks!
1)- Depressurize the fuel rail: Pull the fuse and run the engine until it dies out
2)- Put a towel underneath the workspace
3)- Lube up the gasket on the new one
4)- BE QUICK

·
Registered
2 Posts
The operation is well described here. If you're like me and the screw is jammed to tight or that it stripped, you can always remove the rail and gently go at it with pliers. It's not that complicated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts