SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem while braking with my V70. It seems in the final braking there is a metalic click noise. This does not happen every single time, but most of the time. It also is happening when the car goes over a bump or uneven surface without applying the brake. The click is heard in the area of the steering wheel and the brake on the interior of the car . It is also more pronounced when the steering wheel is slightly turned when breaking and when breaking repeatedly for stop signs. The mechanic lubricated the outer portion of the brake parts, but it seems it only has gotten worse. Furthermore when the window is open and the click is not heard inside, I can often hear a click below from the drivers side window. I had my brakes changed recently (two weeks) but this did not change the problem, as it was present before the brakes were changed.<br>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Re: any tips for clicking in V70 1999 (volwoman)

Welcome to swedespeed.<p>Often the swaybar endlinks go on these cars and cause a clicking sound when going over any irregular surface and not just when braking. If yours have not been changed yet, that would be a good place to start. Could also be the spring seat but the sound would be more of a clunk than a click or the CV joints. <p>If you have not already, recommend you take the car to a mechanic who specializes in Volvos- they will be able to pinpoint the issue quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: any tips for clicking in V70 1999 (Wayne T5)

It currently is at a volvo dealership for one day and they still have not found the problem.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: any tips for clicking in V70 1999 (volwoman)

Sounds like the ABS is working with you a little bit.<p>To verify the issue, you can pull the ABS fuse for a while while driving and see if the issue is gone or not.<p>My wife's car does the exact same thing and I have no doubt that it is the ABS clicking once every now and again.<p>Your description is spot-on for the problem, good job on being able to paint an accurate picture for us.<p>Let us know what you find.<p>Cheers,<br>Prospero

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: any tips for clicking in V70 1999 (Prospero)

Did you fix the problem? How?<br>How much do you think such a repair would cost?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: any tips for clicking in V70 1999 (Prospero)

Regional technician seemed to think lubricating the steering column would solve the problem. However it did not and the clicking continues. As well on braking a few times the ABS went on full force on a dry road without skidding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts