SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I'm starting on my ViVA FMIC install, in my garage. I've turned a wrench or two before but so far nothing this involved (mostly brakes and interior).

I've read the several threads I can find, as well as the instructions. I think I can get away with the install without draining the coolant or the A/C.

Any tips before I start? I figure tomorrow I'll get the bumper and covering panels off, Saturday I'll pull the OEM cooler and hoses, Sunday I'll install the hoses and clamps. I'm a little nervous about the throttle popping off. I'll be using the hairspray trick, but has anyone every tried Teflon tape? Could it be detrimental? Also, I wasn't going to paint it, at least not at first. I can't find any concrete reasons to do so other than cosmetic ones.

Thanks all, wish me luck!

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
viva (aka gsx todd) doesn't require you to drain the A/C. Best thing is to read over the instructions well.. Don't try to rush through it.. Be careful when you bend the A/C Dryer.. Some people are saying you don't have to drain the coolant either.. But I drained mine.. Since you are going to have everything off, take the opportunity to clean your throttle body. And make sure the silicone couplers that you will install, especially to the throttle body is clamped on securely.. or it will come off when you hitboost.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Get any crying, kicking, screaming, etc. Out of the way far prior to ripping things apart....It helps in almost any fix!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Just the tip :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,417 Posts
just read the original post, in my opinion dont plan to ration it like that over three days. Do as much as you can before sunday. Monday will sneak up incredibly fast.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
6,436 Posts
You can do it n a day. Read my how to.
DISCONECT THE BATTERY AS STEP 1
Do not drain the coolant....not needed
Take everything off and my suggestion is to not remove the throttle body pipe but rather cut it and insert a pipe in it so it doesn't collapse when you join it with a coupler. The pipe viva sells dangerously touches the starter cables...I would have saved myself two hours by doing it...
Also...make sure you align everything or you will kick yourself in the ars later. A crooked inter cooler is a big eyesore
Be sure to tighten all the clamps really tight or you will have to take everything off again when they leak
Handle the intercooler with care....don't bend any fins
Don't forget to cut the bumper cover at the end

Oh and DO NOT follow their instructions....they are useless

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
You can do it n a day. Read my how to.
DISCONECT THE BATTERY AS STEP 1
Do not drain the coolant....not needed
Take everything off and my suggestion is to not remove the throttle body pipe but rather cut it and insert a pipe in it so it doesn't collapse when you join it with a coupler. The pipe viva sells dangerously touches the starter cables...I would have saved myself two hours by doing it...
Also...make sure you align everything or you will kick yourself in the ars later. A crooked inter cooler is a big eyesore
Be sure to tighten all the clamps really tight or you will have to take everything off again when they leak
Handle the intercooler with care....don't bend any fins
Don't forget to cut the bumper cover at the end

Oh and DO NOT follow their instructions....they are useless
Crooked fmic is an eye sore...right Aggrorider :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone.

Tomedkaz I'll look into using the OEM throttle pipe, but I don't have any spare tubing. Maybe I'll try to find some at Lowes.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3.5 hours in.

Bumper off. Crash bar off. Top black metal plate off. Passenger headlight out and after some wiggling, OEM IC out. Now, sleep.

Tomorrow I'll mock up the tubing, mount the radiator/A/C with the supplied bolts and eventually mount the new IC.

These are some really poor directions, but mostly I'm just undoing and unbolting whatever looks helpful.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
3.5 hours in.

Bumper off. Crash bar off. Top black metal plate off. Passenger headlight out and after some wiggling, OEM IC out. Now, sleep.

Tomorrow I'll mock up the tubing, mount the radiator/A/C with the supplied bolts and eventually mount the new IC.

These are some really poor directions, but mostly I'm just undoing and unbolting whatever looks helpful.
You took off the bumper bar?!?? Whyyyyyy

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, update.

I got everything out, not disconnecting the A/C or the coolant systems. I got the IC installed, had to make a trip to Home Depot for long carriage bolts because I could not get the included screws to work. Got the tubing installed, some of which was a challenge. Two critical connections simply could not be made with the included t-clamps, but normal sized hose clamps did work. These two spots are the junctions that connect the 90's on either side with the rest of the tubing.

My first big problem came when tightening the clamp on the throttle inlet, the damn screw in the T-clamp snapped in two. Crappy chinese hardware. Not having any spares, it was back to Home Depot a second time. Did I mentioned I can only get there on my bicycle? and it's over 90 degrees? Anyway got an assortment of normal screw down clamps and a flexible driver extension to make life easier. It's reinstalled and pretty damn tight. I used brake cleaner too.

Got it back together, so far only 2 extra bolts but I'm not done yet. My biggest concern is the A/C dryer, I have it bent slightly but the electrical connection at the top is still impacting the tubing. Here are two pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/BVdPb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GsNpE.jpg

Is it good enough? Or do I need to bend more? I was thinking of creating some 90 degree connectors so it wouldn't matter at all but that would take a few days. Any advice?

What's left, install headlights, cut down the front bumper, test it all, drive around the block. After that, celebratory drinking.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts