SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this in the v70 section but I shoulda put this here first because im sure there's some of you guys out there. Just trying to get a count of people that are running ST tunes on the newer p2 cars. Loads of information is out there for the 850s and S/v70s but not much for our generation of cars.

I only know of one person that had the ST tune and he started to get ETM problems shortly after. Not sure if the ETM problem was coincidental or as a direct result of the tune(highly doubt it), but that's the only account I have of a p2 car with the ST tune. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: any s60's out there with the Speedtuning flash? (fightinchunk)

I"ll quote what JRL said in the other thread to facilitate discussion:
Quote, originally posted by JRL »
I wouldn't even think about using that in an ME-7 car that needs flashing.
It's one thing to do an E-prom, it's quite another to reflash a car

I don't see how this flash could be fundamentally different than the IPD or RICA flashes(not softloader, you send in the ecu and get it back tuned). the tunes themselves may be different with some being more aggressive than others, but they all load onto the ecu the same way(docking station that flashes the ecu). If I send my ecu to ipd, they would be flashing the ecu the same way oliver at speedtuning would and vice versa with rica/bsr.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im going to be going with a different set up than most... which makes oliver's fine tuning ability valuable. I'm not sure if IPD/rica/bsr have tunes for my t5 with a cutout and fmic since not many have them... and all of those firms are way out of my reach. maryland is much closer and once I get the OTS tune in and run around jersey for a bit with the tune, I could get dyno'd down in maryland and get oliver to fine tune the ecu for my specific setup.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
speed tuning is not a flash but a soldered chip.

Rica you could head up to see George at Viva in boston - not much farther for you than maryland

I am not saying don't do it, i am saying that there are price differences for a reason.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohh wow... than the info that I received is COMPLETELY different from the reality. would I be able to go with the ipd/rica softloader at the later date if I still go with the speedtuning?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
i would think - but i do not know for sure - my guess is it would just over write the programing of the speed tuning chip. my concern would be that when the softloader reads it wouldn't see what it is expecting to see.

that said with a custom tune oliver will charge you what? 600 bucks? you are almost 2/3 the way to a rica anyway...

Note - that i am going off information on speedtuning that is about 3 years old at this point - things may have changed.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: (Bender)

my .02 you could get BSR PPC for about that price and not have to go into the ECU with a chip and could flash and reflash tune as needed .. i couldnt see the difference between BSR Ipd or Rica ..except BSR and RICA being a lil more aggressive ..i think its more personal opinion, experience, and preference. but it beats someone opening up your ECU and sticking a chip in it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: (deerok)

Personally, I would not do any soldering or adding a chip to my ECU. I trust getting it reflashed though.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

Quote, originally posted by fightinchunk »

I only know of one person that had the ST tune and he started to get ETM problems shortly after. Not sure if the ETM problem was coincidental or as a direct result of the tune(highly doubt it)...

The tune would result in increased torque (the whole point of a tune). Why would this not be directly related to his ETM problem? (there is more load on the transmission).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (deerok)

where can I get a bsr softloader for that price? speedtuning is 325 with retunes being 200. rica is about a cool G with free retunes iirc.

·
Registered
513 Posts

I asked this in the v70 section but I shoulda put this here first because im sure there's some of you guys out there. Just trying to get a count of people that are running ST tunes on the newer p2 cars. Loads of information is out there for the 850s and S/v70s but not much for our generation of cars.

I only know of one person that had the ST tune and he started to get ETM problems shortly after. Not sure if the ETM problem was coincidental or as a direct result of the tune(highly doubt it), but that's the only account I have of a p2 car with the ST tune. Any information would be appreciated.

I have the ST tune in my '01 S60.

No problems and it does indeed up the boost level and eliminates the non-moving rev limit.

My only complaint is the older base code they use- after installing the tune my ETM started acting up (it was in need of a cleaning...). The ECU had the latest update from Volvo, masking the ETM problem.

I don't think it is a solder job, no evidence of that on my ECU.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my etm was just replaced so hopefully the problem wont arise again. I've decided I'm going ST cuz getting rica and ipd to get me a tune for a fmic and open downpipe/cutout is probably never going to happen so i'll stick to the local guy that can get me a custom tune no problem for 500 total. Also sounds like a great guy to deal with and i'll take any chance I can get to get out of jersey for a bit

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
? dont have it on a newer car yet but I have it on my 98R and my 98C70 and cant say better things about it other then his shipping sucks

·
Registered
513 Posts
I didn't have a problem with their shipping.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bump

pullin the trigger and getting the tune. In dire need of more fueling with the cutout installed. Once the FMIC is on somewhere in mid to end of june, I'll go get the car dyno'd/custom tuned. I'll keep this thread updated...

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
please do keep this updated - oliver was a good guy to work with so that is a plus.

You should get before and after dyno pulls throughout the process. It has been done with the others but never with speed tuning - i would be curious.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Bender)

unfortunatly I wont be able to get a dyno of my car completely stock... I got a cutout on but I will be able to get dyno's of the car with the off the shelf tune and with the custom tune. car will be tune for phuz's FMIC and the cutout open(essentially a 1.5 foot dump pipe from the turbo). http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Re: (fightinchunk)

unfortunatly I wont be able to get a dyno of my car completely stock... I got a cutout on but I will be able to get dyno's of the car with the off the shelf tune and with the custom tune. car will be tune for phuz's FMIC and the cutout open(essentially a 1.5 foot dump pipe from the turbo). http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
very cool!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bender... r u going to justins meet this saturday? i read on VS about some dude rolling in from doylestown... is that you by any chance?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.