SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well we finally got our 2003 XC90 T6, and in general we are really pleased with the car. Took it out for a test drive tonight. And it drove flawlessly. Shifted flawlessly. It really seems like a fine car.

We plan on doing some towing with the car, and given that this volvo model has a history of transmission issues, I decided it would be prudent to install an aftermarket transmission cooler.

Have any other XC90 owners done this, and if so what aftermarket units do you find fit the bill particularly well? I'd like to find one with a temperature gauge that can be routed inside the car. In addition, I'd like to hear where you mounted to cooler, and any tips and advice in general.

Oh yeah and one more question. I just checked the ATF, and it was slightly brown. I know this flkuid has 30,000 miles on it and it is ready for a change. It takes Dexron VI, right?

As always, thanks in advance! This has got to be one of the more helpful message boards I have ever been on.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: Any recommendations on Aftermarket Transmission Cooler model?? (tpezzolo)

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the T6 models have an aux cooler already.

Tim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any recommendations on Aftermarket Transmission Cooler model?? (t6tim)

According to my reading on this forum. The XC90 T6 only has one transmission cooler, which is housed in the radiator.

There are a lot of generic aftermarket transmission cooler available. I was just wondering if there was one model that was really well suited for the T6. Perhaps well sized, and easy to install.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Volvo offers one as an option. Check with your dealer.

Tim

·
Registered
760 Posts
Not sure about the T6, but the V8 models come with a very basic cooler, which is a single line with fins that runs in front of the radiator. This can be upgraded to a full blown oil cooler as a dealer add on.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Your T6 might already have an Aux cooler, mine does. But the location of the Aux cooler leaves much to be desired.

Its located behind(covered) the silver coloured guards at the bottom of the bumper. The guards have to come out for you to see & access them.

On my T6, I has bypassed the radiator and routed to the Aux(air cooled) ATF cooler only. But I had my grey coloured guard cut for increased air flow to the aux cooler and had them painted black.

Will post pictures later when I get home.

Bernard

*I have the diagram/schematics on my laotop. If you drop me a PM with your email i can send it to you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Any recommendations on Aftermarket Transmission Cooler model?? (bernardbay)

Mine also has the auxilliary cooler. It split open a month or so ago, and I had to replace it. At least it's an easy job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.