SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my 2009 C70 front axle shafts. Any aftermarket pieces which are known to be good, or known to be bad? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
from what i hear, aftermarket are bad and will only cause problems.. so people usually suggest getting oem unfortunately because they arent cheap.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Auto or Manual? There's a few good aftermarket axles for autos. But if you're manual, do yourself a favor and just go with OEM.

I would really suggest just having your current axles rebuilt though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auto or Manual? There's a few good aftermarket axles for autos. But if you're manual, do yourself a favor and just go with OEM.

I would really suggest just having your current axles rebuilt though.

I do have an auto trans. What are the descent brands?

In the case of rebuilding, what are the options.

Thanks,
jim

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
I do have an auto trans. What are the descent brands?

In the case of rebuilding, what are the options.

Thanks,
jim
I don't know off the top of my head, but check to see what FCP Euro sells. They have a lifetime warranty on all their parts and do pretty good research before adding aftermarket brands to their inventory.

As for rebuilding, a lot of shops can do that for you and will have varying costs. I assume you have torn CV boots?
It's actually not too hard to rebuild them yourself if you're comfortable with pulling axles.
Or you can always have them replaced, then send off your current axles to be rebuilt in case you ever need to replace them again. The CV boots are a weak point on any car, but especially on these cars if they've been lowered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know off the top of my head, but check to see what FCP Euro sells. They have a lifetime warranty on all their parts and do pretty good research before adding aftermarket brands to their inventory.

As for rebuilding, a lot of shops can do that for you and will have varying costs. I assume you have torn CV boots?
It's actually not too hard to rebuild them yourself if you're comfortable with pulling axles.
Or you can always have them replaced, then send off your current axles to be rebuilt in case you ever need to replace them again. The CV boots are a weak point on any car, but especially on these cars if they've been lowered.
Thanks.

One boot is ripped while the other is completely separated. I have no issue rebuilding myself (disassemble, clean, reassemble, grease, new boots/clamps), but I was concerned that the needle bearing and races would be worn. Any thoughts on that?

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Volvo axles are pretty strong and will probably last the life of the car. Do you have any noises or vibrations from the axles, or just the torn boots?

There are some good boot kits out there which come with the replacement band clamps and grease. Check FCP Euro and iPd for quality kits. The $20 ebay kit it goo, but I tried it out and the boot tore after 10k miles.

Here's a good write up for taking apart the CV joints to clean everything: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?198135

It's actually more common for aftermarket axles to develop the infamous axle ping noise, just a light click when changing rotation direction. No harm, it's just from the axle splines of aftermarket axles.
So I would really encourage reusing the original axles if you can.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is almost always better to put new boots on an OEM axle then to go aftermarket. A complete OEM axle is very expensive, And theres a reason why. They are good. I don't understand why shops just want to throw an axle in it and be done. Its because they are parts changers not technicians. I hear a brand named Empire is pretty good if you want to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 08 C30 with 138,000 miles. I noticed that both outer cv boots separated cleanly from the clamps on the narrower side. No clue how many miles ago that was, but probably less than 10k since I did not notice it on my last oil change. I would have no issue putting in aftermarket axles in the car from EuroFCP (lifetime warranty) but my car has a manual transmission and I have found exactly ZERO axles for that online (not just FCP). I can't really justify spending close to a thousand dollars on OEM Volvo axles. No way. I'm afraid though that there may be damage to the somewhat exposed CV joints though. I didn't notice any sounds yet. I'm checking with a family member who owns a shop to see if he can source something. Anyone know of any cheaper options? Should I just replace the boots and call it a day?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts