SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pleasantly surprised to see the LED tail lights are relatively inexpensive but I've been meaning to change out my wife's halogen headlights since we bought the car but people on eBay seem to think the xenon and adaptive headlights are worth $1500. The kicker is that I never see any of them as actually being sold. I think people are just listing them that high because they see others listing them that high.

I don't need the ballasts or anything like that. I can use aftermarket parts for that stuff. I just need the darn headlight. Headlights, tail lights and some larger rims and this puppy would look like new.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Do you just want the housings? If so then the dealer/ IPD/ FCP, etc can help. The adaptive ones are probably worth 1500, but HID should be about a third the price from the dealer (basing this off what I paid for the assembly for the 01XC70 at the dealer).

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
The adaptive HID headlamps are expensive for good reason. Go take one apart.

I do not condone the use of aftermarket HID's if your car was not equipped with them to begin with.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
...I've been meaning to change out my wife's halogen headlights since we bought the car but people on eBay seem to think the xenon and adaptive headlights are worth $1500. The kicker is that I never see any of them as actually being sold. I think people are just listing them that high because they see others listing them that high.
What about doing a projector retrofit in the existing Halogen housing? I've seen several XC90s with this done successfully (both professional ones and DIY ones).

sample: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-41832.html?

i.e.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey guys,

We just picked up a 2010 XC90 and the one option the example we ended up with did not have that I really wanted was the HID lights. How difficult is a direct swap of these if I could find a used set?

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The adaptive HID headlamps are expensive for good reason. Go take one apart.

I do not condone the use of aftermarket HID's if your car was not equipped with them to begin with.
Meh, it's hit and miss. Some halogen capsules can use HID bulbs and get a decent cut-off with no glare while others just spray the light everywhere and are horrible. We've sold thousands of HID kits for use in halogen housings (for a specific car) and for that car they work perfectly with just about no glare. Unfortunately, the XC90 is the latter. I put in HID bulbs and ballasts in the halogen housing and it was wretched.

ss60 said:
What about doing a projector retrofit in the existing Halogen housing? I've seen several XC90s with this done successfully (both professional ones and DIY ones).
I'd be on the hook for projectors, new headlight capsules (the stockers are fogged up and even after professional polishing don't look new), I'd be learning on the job and the results aren't guaranteed. I'm also vain and I don't like the look of the Halogen capsules compared to the HID capsules. The HID capsules, especially the adaptive lights, make the the XC90 look a lot nicer.

Hey guys,

We just picked up a 2010 XC90 and the one option the example we ended up with did not have that I really wanted was the HID lights. How difficult is a direct swap of these if I could find a used set?

Thanks!
There's two ways to go about it:

1. Buy stock HID headlights, stock ballasts, bulbs, etc. Have everything coded (assuming you have to do that on this vehicle).
2. Buy stock HID headlights, aftermarket HID bulbs and aftermarket ballasts that will plug into your stock H7 harness. This is a lot cheaper than buying stock ballasts and potentially having to change wiring/ get the vehicle coded (again, assuming that's necessary). The additional benefit there is that since the ballast is generic, a replacement would cost about $15.

Light output/ spread would be identical with either option but with option 2 your adaptive headlights would not be adaptive, assuming you're running the adaptive capsule and not the older refractor style HID capsule.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
1. Buy stock HID headlights, stock ballasts, bulbs, etc. Have everything coded (assuming you have to do that on this vehicle).
2. Buy stock HID headlights, aftermarket HID bulbs and aftermarket ballasts that will plug into your stock H7 harness. This is a lot cheaper than buying stock ballasts and potentially having to change wiring/ get the vehicle coded (again, assuming that's necessary). The additional benefit there is that since the ballast is generic, a replacement would cost about $15.

Light output/ spread would be identical with either option but with option 2 your adaptive headlights would not be adaptive, assuming you're running the adaptive capsule and not the older refractor style HID capsule.
They won't be adaptive with option 1 either. The system relies on other components in the car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
or you can do what i did, do a retrofit like someone said, turns out amazing and costs the same amount as one headlight.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227
I dig the look on your car because you can pull off the black housings but on most cars it just looks bad. I like the stock look and I like knowing that the capsules themselves were originally fitted for the vehicle. That and as I said before... I just don't want to do the work. I really like the adaptive housings and completely independent of light output, I think they make the XC90 look modern whereas the original Halogen capsules just look antiquated.

They won't be adaptive with option 1 either. The system relies on other components in the car.
No loss really. I have them on my other car and they're more of a gimmick than anything else.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i know this is going to be a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get this upgrade done in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I have a 2006 XC90 and i would like to get the new Xenon headlights and fog lights, like the new 2013 models. I am willing to get a whole new headlight assembly and would prefer it so it all looks original and has OEM parts.

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
i know this is going to be a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get this upgrade done in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I have a 2006 XC90 and i would like to get the new Xenon headlights and fog lights, like the new 2013 models. I am willing to get a whole new headlight assembly and would prefer it so it all looks original and has OEM parts.

Won't work.

·
Registered
621 Posts

I have actually replaced my OEM HID headlight assembly to the active headlamps and it fits perfectly. I did this about fours years ago. Problem is that the "active " part won't work, but IMO it's more intense than the non-projector headlights.

I also changed out my fog light, maybe a month ago to the new 2013 LED fog, works perfectly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Do you have HIDs now or just the standard halogen lights?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it's doable. Ignore the post saying it's not because that's not accurate. The question is how much work is involved to make it happen. One would assume that Volvo uses the same harness between the three different style headlight capsules and that the HID capsules just have more wires to accommodate the extra features. Even if this isn't the case and the harness is completely different, at the end of the day you're still dealing with bulbs and an HID headlight so it's not going to be hard to do.

I think most people get caught up by thinking they have to use the stock ballast but you don't need to do that and if wiring is an issue it actually becomes easier to use an aftermarket ballast and call it a day.

What you most likely won't be able to retrofit (easily) is the leveling ability of the lights and the active bending. So the lights would need to be initially aimed and would then be fixed. For this reason it might be better to go with the older style refractor HID capsule.

I'll be doing this in some form or fashion over the next couple months so I'll update this post when I do. Either way though, yes, it is doable so long as your understand you'll be missing out on some of the features of the light.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
There was a XC70 towed in today at my local Volvo dealer. The car got on fire because the owner retrofitted HID's.

Not only that, most aftermarket HID's are poorly installed, resulting in other drivers being blinded by those ****ty lights.

Cops here in DC have started issuing citations for these. (About time)

If you want the fancy lights, trade up to a XC90 that has them!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was a XC70 towed in today at my local Volvo dealer. The car got on fire because the owner retrofitted HID's.
With all due respect, properly installed HIDs are no more likely to catch fire than stock HIDs.

Not only that, most aftermarket HID's are poorly installed, resulting in other drivers being blinded by those ****ty lights.
That's not poor installation; that's a matter of HID bulbs being used in housings designed for halogen bulbs. It has nothing to do with improper installation though.

If you want the fancy lights, trade up to a XC90 that has them!
It's not necessary if you install them correctly, used stock headlight capsules and make sure they're properly aimed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts