SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
Some select dealer personal got to see it out in Calif. last week. A big XC70 was the concenous. <BR>Motors: 2.5T..210HP and 2.8TT..272HP. Not sure isf the 2.5 is a bored out 2.4 5cyl or a V6 from JAg, need help here.<P>5 and 7 (forward)passenger seating<BR>FWD and AWD.<P>Taillights up the back like the V70<P>Center seat of second row can be removed for a childs seat<P>Rear gate will be similier to the Ford Explorer.. 1/3 bottom ..2/3 top.. gate will hold abut 500lb.<P>Not sure which AWD.. I assume Haldex.<P>Car is 30cm (1ft.). taller that current S80.<P>T6 will have different packages to keep upscale from smaller model. Also 7 pass wil be std on T6<BR><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
Aftonbladet says that they will be showing a picture of the XC90 on November 29th. So that means we will get to see it this Thursday hopefully.<P>Phil,<P>Any idea why Volvo would use a turbocharged Ford 2.5 V6 instead of just using their own 2.9 NA liter I6 for 210hp? That just doesn't make any sense to me. I think that the motor choices will be: 2.9 liter I6 210hp, 2.8 liter I6-TT 272hp, and the D5 engine. I guess that we will find out on Thursday!<P>-Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InDy:<BR><B>Aftonbladet says that they will be showing a picture of the XC90 on November 29th. So that means we will get to see it this Thursday hopefully.<P>Phil,<P>Any idea why Volvo would use a turbocharged Ford 2.5 V6 instead of just using their own 2.9 NA liter I6 for 210hp? That just doesn't make any sense to me. I think that the motor choices will be: 2.9 liter I6 210hp, 2.8 liter I6-TT 272hp, and the D5 engine. I guess that we will find out on Thursday!<P>-Drew</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My guess is because they'd need more torque in an SUV for towing than the 2.9 I6 NA, and the 272 hp I6 TT would be too much power (wouldn't want your SUV to keep up with the flagship) It's a marketing and/or cost thing. <P>Let's wait until Thursday.<P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
Although interestingly, we have heard that Volvo intends to use I-5 motors in the next 30/40/50 series cars. It'll be interesting to see that happen, as I'm not sure there'd be room in the current generation Focus platform. Perhaps they'll be growing in size, which only seems natural I guess. Automakers do that with their models as they evolve, and the platform will have to if it is going to provide a successor to the S40/V40.<P>George
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>I'm waiting to see exactly what we'll get, but I am told we'll have pics Thursday as well.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>George,<P>That sounds great, I can't wait to see the pictures. I think that the XC90 has the potential to become a huge success. Just look at the V70 XC, it is outselling the normal V70 by almost 3 to 1, who would have ever thought? It looks like the XC90 will be slotted between the lower RX300, QX4, MDX and the upper X5, ML-Series. I am hoping Volvo does this thing right. <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"><P>-Drew <P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, thanks for the info guys. Any new engine info that you may get, be sure to post it. I'd be really curious to see what they do.<P>Also, can't wait to see those pics. I wonder how much it looks like the ACC?<P> <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/resources/gallery/special_cars/suv/large/02.jpg"> <P>I really like the use of silver on the car, like the roof rack and the door handles. Wonder if Volvo will use that? Those wheels have to go though.<p>[This message has been edited by Evolvo (edited 11-26-2001).]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
Okay, I have some info from my own source at Volvo regarding the XC90.<P>The SUV will be AWD only using Haldex. There will not be a FWD in the US. If there is a FWD, and my contact seemed to doubt it, then it would be a base European model most likely.<P>D5 motors are expected in Europe, but not the USA.<P>The use of the 6cyl motors from the S80 and S80 T6 are correct, though any use of a new 8cyl (specifically a V8) is premature as use of such motors wouldn't be for at least a year.<P>7 Passenger seating was also confirmed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Well, actually the XC90 won't be smaller than the BMW X5 or the Mercedes M-class. In fact, the XC90 will be one of the largest SUVs on the market (at least the european one - in America some much larger "trucks" are still offered) and with the 2.8-litre-twin turbo it will offer a very smooth and powerful engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ransom:<BR><B>Well, actually the XC90 won't be smaller than the BMW X5 or the Mercedes M-class.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What I meant to say by 'slotted between' was price-wise, not in size. The only SUV in that size range that can carry 7 people is the Acura MDX. The RX300, QX4, ML-Series, and X5 only offer seating for 5, so that will be a big advantage for the XC90.<P>The RX300 and MDX only start at $33.9K and $34.7K respectively, but the X5-Series (X5 4.6is) can get up to $70k and the ML-Series (ML55) can get up to $80k. IMHO, the XC90 will fill the gap of those ranges in price.<P>-Drew<BR>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>Okay, I have some info from my own source at Volvo regarding the XC90.<P>The SUV will be AWD only using Haldex. There will not be a FWD in the US. If there is a FWD, and my contact seemed to doubt it, then it would be a base European model most likely.<P>D5 motors are expected in Europe, but not the USA.<P>The use of the 6cyl motors from the S80 and S80 T6 are correct, though any use of a new 8cyl (specifically a V8) is premature as use of such motors wouldn't be for at least a year.<P>7 Passenger seating was also confirmed.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>You are correct in that the XC90 will not be FWD, for North America.<P>And the engines for the N.A. market will be IN-LINE 6 not V6 or I-5. That has been decided. In Europe, you will see 2.0L Hi pressure turbo I-5, 2.4L LPT I-5 and the new Direct Injection 5-cyl Turbo Diesel engine from Volvo generating 163HP.<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,263 Posts
G <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil Pugliese:<BR><B>Some select dealer personal got to see it out in Calif. last week. A big XC70 was the concenous. <BR>Motors: 2.5T..210HP and 2.8TT..272HP. Not sure isf the 2.5 is a bored out 2.4 5cyl or a V6 from JAg, need help here.<P>5 and 7 (forward)passenger seating<BR>FWD and AWD.<P>Taillights up the back like the V70<P>Center seat of second row can be removed for a childs seat<P>Rear gate will be similier to the Ford Explorer.. 1/3 bottom ..2/3 top.. gate will hold abut 500lb.<P>Not sure which AWD.. I assume Haldex.<P>Car is 30cm (1ft.). taller that current S80.<P>T6 will have different packages to keep upscale from smaller model. Also 7 pass wil be std on T6<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Phil,<P>the only engines that we will see here in the US are both in-line 6 cyl., same engine sfound in the current S80s with some slight modifications. In Europe, they will get a high pressure 5-cyl. 2.0L engine, the 2.4T that we know from here, and the D5 which is a Direct Injection Turbo Diesel already in use for the past year or so...<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
Phil and Yannis, thanks for the info. I may include that info with the pics on Thurs. Since you guys are dealers, I am presuming the info is reliable. <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/wink.gif"><P>George
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B>G <BR>Phil,<P>the only engines that we will see here in the US are both in-line 6 cyl., same engine sfound in the current S80s with some slight modifications. In Europe, they will get a high pressure 5-cyl. 2.0L engine, the 2.4T that we know from here, and the D5 which is a Direct Injection Turbo Diesel already in use for the past year or so...<P>Yannis<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yannis, I hope you are right...Tom D. and Frank both said we are gonna see a 5 cyl and a FWD versions, both I think are mistakes for this car. Lets lead not follow. <P>As far as dealers having the info first, we wish... this is usually a better sourse. For the most parts manufactures are very slow in getting info to the front lines.<BR><P>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil Pugliese:<BR><B> Yannis, I hope you are right...Tom D. and Frank both said we are gonna see a 5 cyl and a FWD versions, both I think are mistakes for this car. Lets lead not follow. <P>As far as dealers having the info first, we wish... this is usually a better sourse. For the most parts manufactures are very slow in getting info to the front lines.<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I will agree with Phil on the notion that "because we are working for Retailers we get first crack on upcoming models, etc.". NOt at all! Volvo has been notorious for not educating us ON TIME. We usually have to rely on "outside sources"...Anyway, my own source from Sweden has told me that the AWD is the model we will get. As far as the engines, she doubts we will see a 5-cyl. engine in the US although that is being considered, for marketing reasons. The FWD is under consideration but she, again, doubts it will come since they see that such experiments (as she called them) from other manufacturers have not been successful (see Lexus ES300) with the FWD variant in such a model.<P>I do think that bringing a 5-cyl. model in this segment will be a mistake by Volvo. I love the I-5, it is a great engine but the FAV will need a super-smooth engine as a 6-cyl. The I-5 can generate an amazing amount of power when turbocharged but that is it. Its fuel economy "advantage" is not that significant plus the additional amount of noise that it generates.<P>Yannis<P><P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
Generally, you are correct, however in this case, they were showing dealers before they were showing the usual media outlets from what I understand. Right now, I have no info, just four pics that are embargoed (i.e. I can't print them) until Nov. 29. So, I will update the site tomorrow at 9AM. Our sources at Volvo told us this is the earliest we can print them, so I'll be adhering to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
George,<P>Damn! You are a wanted man right now. Great to know you have the pics now and we will see it tomorrow morning! Anyone know where George lives? <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/biggrin.gif"><P>-Drew
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top