SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned my 2017 XC90 in and leased a 2019 last month. I didn't have an official inspection, but my dealer looked my car over and told me it was good to go. Today I get a bill for one tire being too worn. Anything I can do to fight it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
How much was the bill? I've never leased a vehicle before so I'm not sure how these things work. Is tire wear part of the lease agreement? If it's a legitimate cost to them I'm not sure I'd fight it, but if they're just being petty and trying to bilk you, I'd probably just refuse to pay. What are they going to do, take you to court for a tire?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ll share my experience, yours may differ. I leased a MINI Cooper S about 3 years back, upon return I did go through the inspection process and they charged me $100 for tire wear which i was pretty happy about as I knew some other brand even forced people to replace tires, and 4 tires if awd. And I didn’t want to lease another MINI afterwards. That being said, if you would continue to lease a car from the same dealership, there is always room for negotiation before you sign the new lease, they have ways to wipe out your wear and tear charge as they may have earned enough from your new lease. But once the deal is done, it may become hard as the contract is with the corporate. But worth a try, start from the dealer and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I turned my 2017 XC90 in and leased a 2019 last month. I didn't have an official inspection, but my dealer looked my car over and told me it was good to go. Today I get a bill for one tire being too worn. Anything I can do to fight it?
Ask them to show you the measurement of the tire and define excessive "wear".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They define a tire as worn if it is below 4/32 in treat depth. Apparently one was 3/32. Invoice is for $412. Biggest thing that drives me crazy is that my car was impeccable and I blew it by not selling it to the dealer or another person instead of turning it in. I should have had decent equity in it, but I was turning it in early to get a deal on the 2019 and everything happened so fast that it slipped my mind until literally right after I turned it in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They define a tire as worn if it is below 4/32 in treat depth. Apparently one was 3/32. Invoice is for $412. Biggest thing that drives me crazy is that my car was impeccable and I blew it by not selling it to the dealer or another person instead of turning it in. I should have had decent equity in it, but I was turning it in early to get a deal on the 2019 and everything happened so fast that it slipped my mind until literally right after I turned it in.
These tires are no cheap, the cheapest one I was able to find to replace mine was $300+ from Discount Tires, so the bill seems reasonable.

Can you ask for a discount? Talk to the lease manager that you’re a loyalty customer who leased a new Volvo again. Usually the lease manager plays some role in the sales department too, in my MINI’s case, he was the used car sales manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
They of course have the data. They are not silly.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
But OP has a right to know and be told the data.....Or if you see a charge you don't know, you sit there and pay it.. and move along? Hope not...

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Tires are a normal part of lease deals. They specifically tell you what a worn tire is. After the fact there is little chance of a change in terms. The time to ask for forgiveness would have been during the negotiation for the new car. The lease may not have any effect on that particular dealer depending on where and from whom the lease originated. I have leased approximately four cars now and in all instances I had someone come out and inspect the car. I also checked the tires as that is a common element in most all leases. People will put used tires on a car to turn it in and avoid any charges.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not knowing exactly what transpired but my position would be that I should be notified of any charges then and there upon turning in the car. Who knows what happens to the car after its out of your possession.

It's similar in my mind to turning a rental car. I once returned a rental car, was told I was good to go and given a receipt. Then a few weeks later I got a letter saying they were billing me for damage. I immediately called and stated that there was no damage when I returned it and I should have been told when I returned it if there was damage. After that I'm not responsible for anything. They immediately backed down since they didn't have a leg to stand on. I think these companies just try it scam people based on the fact that a certain number of people won't fight it.

In your case I don't know what you were told or said but I would have got something in writing before I left the car. I suggest you try and fight it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Not knowing exactly what transpired but my position would be that I should be notified of any charges then and there upon turning in the car. Who knows what happens to the car after its out of your possession.

It's similar in my mind to turning a rental car. I once returned a rental car, was told I was good to go and given a receipt. Then a few weeks later I got a letter saying they were billing me for damage. I immediately called and stated that there was no damage when I returned it and I should have been told when I returned it if there was damage. After that I'm not responsible for anything. They immediately backed down since they didn't have a leg to stand on. I think these companies just try it scam people based on the fact that a certain number of people won't fight it.

In your case I don't know what you were told or said but I would have got something in writing before I left the car. I suggest you try and fight it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I take pictures of rentals and nit pick every spot of damage. Rental car companies are notorious for passing off damage onto unsuspecting renters It's profitable, since very little of those cosmetic scraps ever get fixed. And for those that do or do not get repaired, the rental car company also charges you for the vehicle being out of service. Regardless of the situation

So if you scrape a rental and the damage is $1,500, the rental car companies take it as profit. Trust me, my latest rental had enough road rash on it (2018) that clearly had not been fixed. But I am sure the renters were charged a pretty penny.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
But OP has a right to know and be told the data.....Or if you see a charge you don't know, you sit there and pay it.. and move along? Hope not...
He can ask and get the exact data from the inspection report. The lease agreements he signed stipulates that tires must pass the minimum set by the financial institution upon lease termination.

That is why everyone should by the extended waiver warranty available at the beginning of each lease term; I believe it allows for most wear damages (tires, windshield chips, scratches, dents, broken light lenses etc) for up to $1,500. Well worth the cost

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He can ask and get the exact data from the inspection report. The lease agreements he signed stipulates that tires must pass the minimum set by the financial institution upon lease termination.

That is why everyone should by the extended waiver warranty available at the beginning of each lease term; I believe it allows for most wear damages (tires, windshield chips, scratches, dents, broken light lenses etc) for up to $1,500. Well worth the cost
What warranty are you talking about?

·
Registered
8,266 Posts

Charges are probably legitimate, but if the OP is uncertain, he can always ask...Or as you pointed out, get a copy of the inspection report. I am by no means saying these are "hidden fees and/or underhanded" charges. But just as you get a receipt at the store check out, OP should get a copy of inspection report. It'll alleviate any concerns he/she might have over the penalties he was charged.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
What warranty are you talking about?
It's a policy you can buy, through the retailer, facilitated by VCFS; it's designed to cover any wear/damages at the end of the lease (with a $$$ limit, of course). In my opinion, most of the times, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the dealer told you the car was fine when you turned it in. Why are they charging you now, shouldnt they have told you when you had the inspection upon turn in?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the dealer told you the car was fine when you turned it in. Why are they charging you now, shouldnt they have told you when you had the inspection upon turn in?
Exactly. No he says "well, I didn't check the tires". He is "going to see what he can do". Guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
What I don’t understand and perhaps is in the details we don’t know is, if he turned it in, dealer inspected and said, “good to go”, wouldn’t that have included sign off saying, no charges. They should have informed him at the time of inspection/accepting the turn in. If nothing was called out or identified at turn in, he can’t be surprised later with an “oops I forgot”. I would expect to have signed the turn in at which point the dealer or bank has possession and it’d no longer be the OP’s responsibility. They would certainly “be returning the favor” by trying to avoid any payment/compensation if it was the OP coming back later saying, hey I bought this new car and just noticed this ding after a couple of weeks of ownership.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What I don’t understand and perhaps is in the details we don’t know is, if he turned it in, dealer inspected and said, “good to go”, wouldn’t that have included sign off saying, no charges. They should have informed him at the time of inspection/accepting the turn in. If nothing was called out or identified at turn in, he can’t be surprised later with an “oops I forgot”. I would expect to have signed the turn in at which point the dealer or bank has possession and it’d no longer be the OP’s responsibility. They would certainly “be returning the favor” by trying to avoid any payment/compensation if it was the OP coming back later saying, hey I bought this new car and just noticed this ding after a couple of weeks of ownership.
dealership can say whatever they want but the volvo leasing will send an inspector out to look at the car and whatever he says goes. I just returned a lease before buying my xc90. what can also happen is volvo leasing takes too long to send an inspector out and then no inspection is done and you don't have to worry about anything.

the dealer has two options when you return the car. if the residual is low enough, they will buy the car from volvo leasing and put it on the lot. if the residual is too high, they will tell the leasing company to come get it. inspection doesn't happen at turn it. turn in is simply the receiving and declaration the lease has now ended.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts