SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's always an excitement associated with new wheels, but I'm curious as to opinions of those that are/have run 19's on their R for some time now. I've read previous posts but most seem to be right after the switch to 19's. Do you still like the ride/ Have you bent any rims/ etc?

I'm currently running 17" Pegs, and I'm looking to move up in size. I love the look of 19's, but not sure if it's the wise decision.
Another aspect that makes this tough is the wife doesn't understand the need to move up just an 1" for 17's to 18's. If I'm going to get new wheels she thinks it shoud be 19 or nothing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: Any Long Term Update on 19" wheels? (Case)

Consider the cost of the wheel and also the ongoing cost of 19" tyres. There are also comfort issues. I am only on 18's and have hit some pot holes that rattled me so badly that if I was on 19's would have cost me a wheel a tyre and a trip to the chiropractor, but you gotta love the look of 19's though
Just a thought.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Re: Any Long Term Update on 19" wheels? (Case)

I have had my 19" H5's for nearly a year now. To me there is no difference in the ride quality than with the stock 18" Pegasus wheels and the look is just incredible! In my opinion if you hit a pothole that is big enough and deep enough, you are going to bend the wheel no matter what the size. I did it on my stock wheels and had to replace tires and I have done it on my 19" wheels and had to replace tires. Just goes with having low profile tires. Now if you do 19" wheels go with the 235/35-19 tires. Do not do like me and go with 245/35-19 tires as you will not be able to get springs for the car as there is not enough room on the front to drop it. The only downside to having a 19" wheel is if you bend one it may be more difficult to find a shop with a straightening machine that will accept a wheel that size. Other than that they are awesome, would not go back to 18" for anything!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: Any Long Term Update on 19" wheels? (Tigers81)

Can anyone post their pics of their cars wearing 19's? That would be great to see...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: Any Long Term Update on 19" wheels? (Tigers81)

I have run both 18 and 19's on several of my cars and I can tell you there is minimal difference in ride quality and strength between the two. You get what you pay for, that is the bottom line when it comes to bending. I will put a set of 19" 3-piece HRE's against many 17" rims from tirerack.com in a pothole contest anyday.

In my opinion, tires play a larger role in ride comfort then does the difference between 18" and 19" wheels.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Any Long Term Update on 19" wheels? (awd)

Not the best view.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Well let me say that I had the stock 18's tires on Pegs and the ride was comfortable however it wasn't the best for handling.

I then switched the tires to PS2's on the Pegs and I noticed that the ride quality suffered a bit but they were definitely much better tires.

Then I replaced the 8" Pegs with 8.5" Evolve H5's with the PS2's and noticed a big difference in ride quality.

With that being said, I can't imagine that you guys can't see much different between 19's and 18's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts