SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never heard of this before, but found a press release stating:

"Later in 2005, Volvo's new Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) will be available as an option (late availability, mid 2005 as a 2006 model). A digital camera that takes 25 pictures per second is installed on each door mirror. By comparing the pictures taken, the system can register when a vehicle is moving within the BLIS zone, which measures 31 feet long by 9.8 feet wide on either side of the car. The system is programmed to identify cars as well as motorcycles, in daylight as well as at night. Since BLIS is camera-based, however, it has the same limitations as the human eye does. This means the system will not function in conditions of poor visibility, for instance in fog or flying snow. In such a case, the driver receives a message that BLIS is not in action. It is also configured not to react to parked cars, road barriers, lampposts and other static objects. The system is active at all speeds above 6.2 mph. It reacts to vehicles that are driven a maximum of 12 mph slower and a maximum of 43.5 mph faster than the car itself. If the driver chooses, BLIS can be switched off via a button in the centre console."
https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/documenttext/2088

I know we had parking sensors, but what about blind spot monitoring? If so, it seems as though it would be a very early adoption of the system, and an ineffective one if it used only 2005 camera technology...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think the only P2 model that got BLIS was the xc90, but I’d love to be wrong and have another upgrade to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts