SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I mean is that every site I look at for replacement tires lists my car as having 235/40/18, but I have 235/45/18. The 45 is the size also listed on the door B-Pillar.
I see both sizes are listed in the manual. Anyone know what the deciding factor was for which size they would be equipped with from the factory?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Seems like the 235/40 should be on 19" rims and not 18" to get approximately the same overall diameter.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What I mean is that every site I look at for replacement tires lists my car as having 235/40/18, but I have 235/45/18. The 45 is the size also listed on the door B-Pillar.
I see both sizes are listed in the manual. Anyone know what the deciding factor was for which size they would be equipped with from the factory?
Definitely follow the door sticker if you'd like to stick with factory equipment. Between the 40 and 45 sidewall, you're looking at almost an inch difference in diameter. I run 45 on my RD.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Seems like the 235/40 should be on 19" rims and not 18" to get approximately the same overall diameter.
Agree 100%, good point.

·
Registered
775 Posts
And just to check, I looked up tires on tire rack. They suggest 235/45/18 OR 235/40/19.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Volvo used 235/45R18 on '15 R-Designs. Tire Rack lists it correctly.

To add, I run 235/45 on my '12 T6. Speedometer is off by +3 MPH at 70 MPH. Not a huge deal.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Deliberately ordered 235/45-18s instead of 235/40-19s (same overall diameter) on our ‘16 V60RD for a better ride and lower pothole risk. Ended up getting 225/55-17s Xi3s on steel wheels for winter tires to keep overall diameter (and lower costs) and they have been great.
If you are increasing your tire diameter from 235/40-18s, believe Volvo has an ‘accessory’ software load you can order to keep your speedometer accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
It must be tire change-out season. I came to this page to ask the same exact question. Tire Rack and CARiD are both telling me that P235/45/R18 is not a "verified fit" and are trying to sell me the 235/40. I looked at http://www.rssportscars.com/cars/2014-volvo-s60-t6-r-design , and they too say 235/40/R18. I was beginning to think I got the wrong doorjamb sticker until I found this post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The overall wheel size should be the same as a 215/55-16 wheel, the standard size wheel, 235/40-18 is the recommended size in Europe and I know this might be different in North Amercia. For a 19 inch wheel 235/40-19 is recommended here aswell even though it's actually too big a size, Volvo has the same size recommended for S80/V70 etc. The software fixes the speedo anyhow!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a 2012 s60 I’ve been running 245/40/18’s for years & I love it. Feels a little more planted in the corners.

That’s also something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
It must be tire change-out season. I came to this page to ask the same exact question. Tire Rack and CARiD are both telling me that P235/45/R18 is not a "verified fit" and are trying to sell me the 235/40. I looked at http://www.rssportscars.com/cars/2014-volvo-s60-t6-r-design , and they too say 235/40/R18. I was beginning to think I got the wrong doorjamb sticker until I found this post.
Well... yeah! Winter to spring my man.

As a side note, I have no idea what you guys are entering into tire rack...

·
Registered
775 Posts
I take that back.....

LOL, well someone needs to give tire rack a call and dispute that. Maybe cross check with the dealership first. My opinion - Stick to the door sticker. It's printed specifically by vin for your vehicle based on the order specifications. So if the door sticker said 235/40/18, the assembly plant would've put those on your car.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Both 235/x/18 sizes are appropriate for that car. I believe the 235/45/18 was the tire size used in all the later S60s with the 18" wheel option, but the 235/40/18 would fit just fine, too, albeit with a smaller overall diameter (by exactly an inch, if memory serves) compared with the 235/45/18 version or 235/40/19 tire. The only fitment worry would be if you were very lowered. On stock suspension, either tire will fit just fine. I am pretty sure they went with the 235/45/18 in later years to add some extra sidewall. This is likely a corner-cutting measure to make the flinty ride a little better and to reduce the rather surprising levels of road noise for a modern entry lux family car without having to engineer a lot of actual mechanical changes to the car to address these problem areas. The good thing about the 45s is they should ride better with less road noise. The bad news is, they worsen the effective final drive ratio and potentially add unsprung weight, both of which could slow the car down in the quarter mile. Whether or not it's a performance different you'd feel, the larger tire diameter would probably add a tenth or three to the car's quarter mile time, if you care about such things (I do).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine is just a regular V60 T5, and it calls for 235/40-18 tires. When I upgraded my 17"s to 18"s, I chose to get 245/40-18 just to gain a little bit more sidewall for both ride and rim protection. A very small speedometer error results, but it doesn't bother me. Plus the slightly wider tires give the car a very cool stance, particularly on my older Mirzam wheels, which sit about a centimeter further out than OEM 18"s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts