SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short- I have an S60 R-design 36 month/15k miles a year. Payment is $380 a month (A-plan pricing). I want to get out of the lease so I can re-lease an S60 with the sports chassis. ANy workarounds since Volvo does not allow lease transfers? This is obviously an incredible deal and I am sure if Volvo allowed transfers I could get rid of the car instantly. I may try carmax today since my selling price was so low.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wow, what was the MSRP of the car you are trying to get out of? Did they take a huge amount off/you put a lot down? I put down 4K and got A-Plan pricing, and an additional 3K off, same terms and mileage, and my payment is $480... Though the car's MSRP was 56K

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what was the MSRP of the car you are trying to get out of? Did they take a huge amount off/you put a lot down? I put down 4K and got A-Plan pricing, and an additional 3K off, same terms and mileage, and my payment is $480... Though the car's MSRP was 56K
MSRP was $45,530. I paid zero down. Just first month’s payment and DMV/doc fees. I had some other dealer incentives and also had Volvo loyalty cash to work with.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think all you can do is find out the current buyout/payoff from Volvo and see if you can sell it for that or close to it. You could get offers from Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom I think all three would write a check directly for the payoff for you. Too bad no transfers because you have a great payment!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sport chassis seems to be firmer shocks and lowered springs. Seems like it'd be a really easy thing to add if you can just buy the parts. Yah, Volvo may not do it, but I'm sure a third party would. Probably be way less out of pocket then getting out of the lease and into a new one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sport chassis seems to be firmer shocks and lowered springs. Seems like it'd be a really easy thing to add if you can just buy the parts. Yah, Volvo may not do it, but I'm sure a third party would. Probably be way less out of pocket then getting out of the lease and into a new one.
I think it would cost about $1,000 or so but i am not even sure where I would take it or what parts to buy. Secondly, since this is a lease, can i even alter the suspension or will that void warranty, etc?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Long story short- I have an S60 R-design 36 month/15k miles a year. Payment is $380 a month (A-plan pricing). I want to get out of the lease so I can re-lease an S60 with the sports chassis. ANy workarounds since Volvo does not allow lease transfers? This is obviously an incredible deal and I am sure if Volvo allowed transfers I could get rid of the car instantly. I may try carmax today since my selling price was so low.
Can't do a lease transfer? That seams like a sweet deal others would love to take on.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
His car is T5 FWD and $10K less, so yeah. #s make sense.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Can't do a lease transfer? That seams like a sweet deal others would love to take on.
Not every manufacturer allows lease transfers AFAIK. Not sure about Volvo. Try swapalease.com. Sites like this take their commission of course, which may be more than the cost to change your suspension.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Depending on the numbers and your buy out price, could try to sell car privately to pay off the purchase price. Otherwise, could ask dealer about trading up. If the car you have is an easy sell or you buy a better vehicle that'll make dealer money, they might budge. Never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it would cost about $1,000 or so but i am not even sure where I would take it or what parts to buy. Secondly, since this is a lease, can i even alter the suspension or will that void warranty, etc?
Yes, the parts are probably going to cost you around $1000. If you wait a little bit for the volvo parts sites to update, you can plug in the vin of a car with the sport chassis (7JR102FM2KG001351 for example) and it should tell you which struts/springs are for that vehicle. Any non dealer shop should have no difficulty swapping the parts out. Also, with the number of S60s coming onto the market, I'd be shocked if there weren't some aftermarket options available in the next few months.

Your warranty doesn't get voided for changing out parts. One must prove that damage is a result of those parts being changed out to invalidate a warranty claim. That's going to be next to impossible to do if the parts are changed out for OEM Volvo parts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think all you can do is find out the current buyout/payoff from Volvo and see if you can sell it for that or close to it. You could get offers from Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom I think all three would write a check directly for the payoff for you. Too bad no transfers because you have a great payment!
This is the best place to start. Carvana, Vroom, and Shift will all give you a quote over the internet too. It'll literally take 5 minutes. Then, compare that to your pay off. With that data, you can see if it's better financially to sell the car or to just install the parts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the best place to start. Carvana, Vroom, and Shift will all give you a quote over the internet too. It'll literally take 5 minutes. Then, compare that to your pay off. With that data, you can see if it's better financially to sell the car or to just install the parts.
Thanks, appreciate the info- super helpful. My payoff is $37,000 if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Did you drive a S60 with the sport chassis and did you notice a big difference? I’m think8ng about a V60 in the future and wondered how much of a difference it made.

We were shopping for a XC40 last year and test drove the Momentum and the RDesign and the stiffer springs and shocks in the RDesign did not make a substantial difference in normal handling. Maybe on a track the limits are higher in the RDesign, but it’s a SUV so we went with the Momentum because my wife fell in love with a color scheme only available on that model.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Did you drive a S60 with the sport chassis and did you notice a big difference? I’m think8ng about a V60 in the future and wondered how much of a difference it made.

We were shopping for a XC40 last year and test drove the Momentum and the RDesign and the stiffer springs and shocks in the RDesign did not make a substantial difference in normal handling. Maybe on a track the limits are higher in the RDesign, but it’s a SUV so we went with the Momentum because my wife fell in love with a color scheme only available on that model.
If you read the sports chassis thread on here, you’ll see what happened to me. Long story short - on the US spec s60 R design, the sports chassis is not standard as advertised. It’s an option.

I can’t imagine they would add it to the US spec XC40 standard either and then not do it for the S60 which is their “sports sedan”.

My strong hunch is that they felt exactly the same to you because the XC40 R design and momentum/inscription models have the same exact dynamic suspension. R design is just purely cosmetic differences. Only the Europe bound xc40 r design gets the sports chassis. You can confirm this with Volvo customer care but I’m 99% sure this is the case after researching this issue for the last 2 months and reaching out to corporate.

I don’t even see a sports chassis as an option for the XC40 R design but my guess is Volvo decided no US buyer would want it anyway so didn’t bother offering it even as a sub option like they do on the S60 R design.

As for the difference - yes, sports chassis S60 vs dynamic suspension is a significant and noticeable difference. I suspect it would be noticeable on an xc40 as well.

Volvo is seriously all over the place with their product description / advertisement vs reality.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A
If you read the sports chassis thread on here, you’ll see what happened to me. Long story short - on the US spec s60 R design, the sports chassis is not standard as advertised. It’s an option.

I can’t imagine they would add it to the US spec XC40 standard either and then not do it for the S60 which is their “sports sedan”.

My strong hunch is that they felt exactly the same to you because the XC40 R design and momentum/inscription models have the same exact dynamic suspension. R design is just purely cosmetic differences. Only the Europe bound xc40 r design gets the sports chassis. You can confirm this with Volvo customer care but I’m 99% sure this is the case after researching this issue for the last 2 months and reaching out to corporate.

I don’t even see a sports chassis as an option for the XC40 R design but my guess is Volvo decided no US buyer would want it anyway so didn’t bother offering it even as a sub option like they do on the S60 R design.

As for the difference - yes, sports chassis S60 vs dynamic suspension is a significant and noticeable difference. I suspect it would be noticeable on an xc40 as well.

Volvo is seriously all over the place with their product description / advertisement vs reality.
Thanks for the issue. I’ll have to try the sport option before I order my V60.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts