SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2004 Volvo S60R with an automatic transmission in near perfect condition inside and out. It has a great maintenance history with 87,000 miles. I test drove last night and noticed right away the transmission clunks and the car bucks a little when it down shifts from 2nd to 1st gear. It shifts great at all other times. The selling dealer said they had disconnected the battery that day to do a minor repair on the seat and he thinks because the battery was disconnected the tranny was "relearning" it's shifts points. I then drove it 60 miles to my local Volvo shop to have it inspected. On the way there the transmission smoothed out was was acting perfect. I could not get it to clunk or buck. Any ideas? I'll know soon what my Volvo shop says. Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That is a hallmark symptom of the linear solenoids having wear and the pressure regulation not being as desired. There is no pressure sensor so the pulsed control of the solenoid is inferred by the upshift adaptation. The problem is the learning on upshifts makes the pressure too high for downshifts as it isn't exactly the same.
Disconnecting battery is not supposed to drop the adaptive control memory, it has always been retained when I have batteries diesconnected, even for long periods. Volvo says it and fluid life counter only reset via commands using VIDA.
The most successful fix in my experience is a reman'd valve body. Reamman.com is one of the suppliers that has a test bench and can calibrate the solenoids once they are repaired with new tougher bodies. The preload of the return spring is adjustable and you won't know if the replacement solenoid new or rebuilt solenoid is set correctly until it is all back together and you drive it. Ream Man VB's are $500 +/-. New solenoids are not much cheaper. There also is a risk of one of the valves in VB itself needing attention and that is done on a reman'd VB but replacing solenoids doesn't address that. New VB from Volvo is $1300 ballpark plus labor and fluid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts