SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new CO resident I've been loving the ability to slip and slide though appropriate places to do so are bit limited in my neck of the woods.

For that reason I'm interested in a little competitive ice fun on a wide open closed course and ice racing certainly fits the bill.

For that reason the following event has caught my eye and I'm thinking about attending their late January event.

Are any of my fellow R members interested in joining me and making this a group R event? :cool:

http://ourgangiceracing.com/

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't have an R but that looks awesome. Most of my winter fun is delegated to finding big, empty parking lots to slide around in. Luckily I found a community college in Lakewood earlier this month whose lot was completely empty and snow-covered.

Do you need studded tires to race?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too have a state college nearby with about the only suitable parking lots that allow me to hone my snow donut skills, then again they also have campus security so I use it quite frugally, lol.

And studs are not required, they have different race groups, the bare rubber class being one of them.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Awesome! I'm down to go up one day- if not for a race day, definitely for their fun days. Looks like Georgetown is only an ~hour away from Golden too!

I just read over their website and it sounds like some people race on all-seasons- though I imagine jeep AT tires have better bite than my 1/2 worn Coopers. Time to start shopping Craigslist for winter wheels/tires...I just wish the 5x108 bolt pattern was more common.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot closer than me, I'm over 3 hours away, weather permitting.

Found a good vid of someone running the course with bare rubber while looking for stuff on youtube, certainly looks like my kind of fun . . .

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Real ice racing or just driving normally between the Springs and Castle Rock on I25 when the road is iced up?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I have a friend who does this here, I looked on the site you linked and didn't see any pics of his car so I'm not sure it's the same event. The one he goes to has large berms around the track, and he said you definitely don't want to do his event in a car you like, as if it goes into a berm you're digging and towing it out, with likely body damage. But either way he said it was loads of fun. None of my cars are AWD or I'd be interested.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I ever get my car running and escape florida I'm in, always wanted to hit that course but when I lived in CO I only had one wheel drive :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I may join in with you guys. Im not to far (3 hour 45mins). If we want to make this a weekend event would anyone want to split a hotel?

I just dont wanna buy and put on my snow tires right now!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If i still lived in lakewood I'd probably be interested in joining. Could "borrow my moms 05 xc70 out there haha

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heads up CO and nearby states R gang.

I got struck down by mechanical fate on my way up to the races a little over a month ago, but it looks like I will at least make the last event of the season now that I'm back on the road again.

Anyone else care to join me? :cool:

http://ourgangiceracing.com/schedule/

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Crap, I already have plans for sunday. I wouldn't race but I'd just come along for fun. Sorry man.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts