SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking either the Euro-spec suspension tuning, or just the chassis mods from the XC90 sport with out all the cosmetic tricks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Any chance of sport suspension option one day? (rfkuehn)

I am new owner of 2006 xc90 V8. I have always found the suspension a little soft and really want to beef up the cornering ability, purely for the purpose of making street driving a little more fun. I have been looking at Eibach lowering springs, and maybe also a set of beefier sway bars. Anyone have any experience with these mods? <p>The new sport model, due out later this year, uses modified springs, shocks, and sway bars, according to volvo.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the idp sway bars installed on mine, with no other mods done. Made a BIG difference. Start there. <p>It wasn't until very recently that I learned that Euro-spec XC90's have a tigher suspension, although I don't know how much of a difference there really is.<p>Still, I won't buy another Volvo that's been detuned from the European-spec suspension, or doesn't at least offer that spec as a low-cost option. So the spec on the XC90 Sport might due, I just don't want all the gaudy cosmetics.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rfkuehn</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the idp sway bars installed on mine, with no other mods done. Made a BIG difference. Start there. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Is installaton of IPD antisway bars really the biggest bang for the buck in terms of firming up the ride ? If so, I might be inclined to invest as the car is a bit 'slushy' in the turns. Would this also improve high speed maneuvering ? I assume that it would have minimal impact on 'harshness' of ride (i.e. as you would get when stiffening suspension).<p>Anyone else got 2-cents worth ?<p>Thanks

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'Invest' is a very good term... the sways cost $350-ish, along with $600 for installation-- a big job.<p>But yes, the effect is well worth the... investment. Tightens up the ride, but not harsh. Makes your wonder what Volvo could have done at minimal additional cost.<p>I'm still incredulous that Volvo actually softens up is cars for export. I had no idea when I ordered mine. No clue. Either my next Volvo comes with the Euro-spec suspension or there won't be a next Volvo. Period.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

I plan on installing myself. It looks like a bit of work. I also wonder about those Eibach springs. I wonder if anyone has ever installed them? My guess is bigger sway bars, progressive "sport springs" and low profile tires would improve handling to a more sport level. The springs and bars are relatively inexpensive, and I would not add wheels (too expensive).<p>Then add a little beefier brake, maybe some more horsepower, and you have a porsche cayenne with integrated booster seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts