SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mine is doing fine but shall I get it done with the next scheduled maintenance stop?
Dont touch it if its doing its job nice-n-smooth? Expensive preventive maintenance?

[

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
From what I've read on the discussions here, it's best NOT to touch it if it's working fine. The only reason to flush it would be due to issues. It's also a fairly involved process requiring some special tools or pumps/vacuum thingies. I'm not sure of the specifics.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Mine is going in next week to get the transmission/torque converter looked at, and I'm going to ask about a flush. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I haven't seen many P3 xc70s come in, but the XC60's seem to develop pretty dark fluid by the 40-60k mark, much more so than the 5speed trans on the P2 cars.

My vote is to flush every 40k to keep things fresh. We haven't seen much trouble yet, but I have replaced more than a dozen valve bodies on the early s80's, Rs, and xc90s. I haven't noticed anything on a 2010+, but I use the xc90 as my test subject for expected failure down the road because of their increased weight and because on average they have a more demanding work schedule.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
There has been a great deal of debate on Swedespeed regarding "to flush or not to flush." I PERSONALLY have mine flushed every 30-40K miles. Agree with Prolix about it being pretty dark by that time.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned: how long are you planning on keeping the vehicle???

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2004 V70 with 140,000 miles on it. Bought used with appx 90,000. Started having hung shifts about 30,000 miles ago. Did the 'fluid replacement' from the forum vs the true flush. Major improvement until the last couple thousand miles. Will do it again soon. Can't afford the valve body replacement anytime soon. V70 Brad/Prolix -are y'all back flushing the system or just pumping the fluid and replacing it. Just checking which is best from the pro's side.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
If the fluid was never changed before you got it and you did it recently, it probably improved and then get worse again because the fresh fluid will clean the entire transmission. I've had vehicles that I did a very thorough flush running 14+ qts through it, and the vehicle came back in 10k miles needing it again for this reason.

I traditionally flush the system completely running 10-14 qts through the system, but you can DIY with a drain and refill. If it's a higher mileage car that the fluids not been changed regularly, a drain and re-fill will actually be the ideal choice.

A mate of mine has an 01 Xc70 that needs a valve body and probably transmission that did a drain and re-fill a half-dozen times over a 30k period and dramatically prolonged the life of his transmission. In his case it's doomed to failure eventually, but I wouldn't be to worried about an 04 failing completely as I can't remember ever replacing one that didn't have holes punched into it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
you can DIY with a drain and refill.
Is it worth doing it half-arsed? It's a flush because there are parts of the gearbox containing old oil that wont be drained unless you're flushing it with new oil while shifting through R N D or something like that.

CrossingCountries: Do flush it. By the same argumentation you shouldn't change the engine oil either if you're not having any issues with it but as everyone knows, you should. The transmission oil does get contaminated over time and from what I've gathered I have yet to hear a good reason not to flush it despite some people claiming it could cause issues.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks, it makes sense what you say. Any other mechanics with some advise on the issue. To flush or not...

T5forLife said he would ask/consider... Any news?

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Thanks, it makes sense what you say. Any other mechanics with some advise on the issue. To flush or not...

T5forLife said he would ask/consider... Any news?

XC70 2011 D5
They didn't flush it, but I'm still having issues with it. They found a bad axle and engine pads (ie: motor mounts) so they just flashed the trans software stopped there. But the deep trembling (best word I can use) is still there at certain speeds and RPMs in certain gears. I am bringing it back in after a family trip next week, and will demand that they flush the torque converter and trans. They didn't even look at the fluid to see what color it was or what condition it was in.

My thoughts are, this being a heavy car with no filter and a fair amount of power (in T6 version) coupled with occasional towing or hauling, the fluid should be flushed as part of the 60k service interval. You can't even check a dipstick to see what the fluid looks like. That doesn't sit well with me at all.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Dont have issues yet but preventive maintenance prevents... I hope. They say the 8 speed is much better... Is that so? Fluid change does make sense... Preventive or not... thats the question in my mind... Hmmm... Dont even know the price of a flush...

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
It's not cheap. I may have read somewhere that it's a $700 procedure at the dealer, if you request it. Should be covered under CPO as a troubleshooting step in my case...if I can get them to do it.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Talked to 5 dealers... On average they all agree its a wise thing to flush but only from 100/120.000km. The cost here is around €400. It holds around 7 liters oil and for a good flush they need 15 liters Needs to be clear red the oil after the Flush. They check the colour of the oil around 90K and at 120K they normally start flushing.

Anybody: can I check the colour myself?

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok will try, if not the stealer. Want them at least to have a look. Good colour is: "Blood-Red" they say... When its black its (almost) too late...

XC70 2011 D5

1 - 20 of 32 Posts