SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was detailing my car and happen to be cleaning the engine compartment when I noticed what looked like a leak of antifreeze coming from a plastic connector that goes from the top of the engine to the radiator. It is not a running leak but what you might see associated with a crack. You can see blue crystals rather than a wet area. I wonder if it will turn into a major break. It makes a 90 degree turn and appears to be pressed on like an elbow. Any ideas

Here is a picture to give some perspective.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Bing it to dealer.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
This is 100% a warranty issue. Because if there is a cracked block, you want it diagnosed while the vehicle is covered..

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not the block that is leaking. It is a plastic connector that looks like it is a T. It connects to another hose that is fairly large and attaches to the engine. Not sure what it is. I tried looking it up in parts but cannot identify it based upon the pictures they typically show. I was hoping someone would recognize it. I will take the car in tomorrow and see if they can identify and order what ever parts are required.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It is not the block that is leaking. It is a plastic connector that looks like it is a T. It connects to another hose that is fairly large and attaches to the engine. Not sure what it is. I tried looking it up in parts but cannot identify it based upon the pictures they typically show. I was hoping someone would recognize it. I will take the car in tomorrow and see if they can identify and order what ever parts are required.
Why not take it in to have it checked before it gets worse? There is a known failure of a coolant hose (VIN based I believe). Mine had a leak from down low/front (behind the hybrid system cooling fan), and later from behind the engine block. Both were minor leaks and during one of them a recall was performed to replace a coolant hose likely to fail.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not take it in to have it checked before it gets worse? There is a known failure of a coolant hose (VIN based I believe). Mine had a leak from down low/front (behind the hybrid system cooling fan), and later from behind the engine block. Both were minor leaks and during one of them a recall was performed to replace a coolant hose likely to fail.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the radiator hose. I've done a couple.
Thankyou, I was kind of surprised that there was no clamp that I could tighten. It appears to leak at the junction of what looks like a 90 degree elbow. It is a very slow leak but is right above one of the orange cables for the Hybrid system. So I will take it to the new dealership in Calabasas, CA Bob White BMW/Volvo Dealership. They took over from another dealership that closed sometime last year.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the car in today. This is my first time going to Bob Smith Volvo. The dealership is located in Calabasas a few miles south of the auto center. They took over the former Mini dealership site. I understand in talking to the Advisor that they are getting ready to spend some more money on the facility. They have about 20 loaners. I was able to make the appointment today for noon time. So that was nice being able to drive in and have a loaner available. I was given a XC60 T5. So that was kind of interesting to drive. The facility is really modern and everything seems relatively new. Very clean. They seemed to have a lot of Volvos in stock.

In addition to the leaking upper radiator hose (glad to have spotted it early) I also had a situation where the paint burned/pealed off the lower valence directly above the exhaust outlet. I believe it happened a couple of weekends ago when we got stuck in traffic on the freeway for hours in really hot weather. We were towing a 5'x9' open trailer with a sofa and love seat inside. So the weight was not too bad. I drove the whole time in Power mode. Mileage dropped a lot. However, the car seemed to pull the trailer without any hesitation. I had to watch my speed as I easily hit 70+ mph when traffic allowed. Otherwise it was a crawl for hours. I will try and take some pictures of the dealership when we go to pick up the car in the next day or two.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The XC60 seems to have a lower door height as I have hit my head a couple of times getting into the car. It has decent acceleration especially when in the dynamic mode. In Eco mode it seems very unresponsive. It has the standard stereo and that sounds ok, lacking the volume of the B&W. The car is a bit louder when driven. I think the XC90 T8 has a lot of sound insulation. The standard suspension seems well planted. The car appears to be less top heavy than the XC90 T8. The seats are standard. The leather is nice, but not as soft as the Napa Leather in the Inscription. The rear compartment is a lot smaller than the XC90. I had once looked at a XC60 T8 and thought the opening was too small for our dog. I checked out the opening in the XC60 T5 and it is also small and similar to the XC60 T8. I guess that makes sense as the battery does not take up space in the rear but is placed in the tunnel area. I still prefer the XC90 size wise.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
the all bust. My shop has done all of those....some barely out of warranty. They make earlier coolant hoses look like a piece of cake.

this engine is an unmitigated disaster for out of warranty repairs.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The advisor indicated that the hose is complex and is not an easy job. I caught this leak before it was of any significance. It was a very slow leak forming crystals around where it exited from the hose.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The XC60 seems to have a lower door height as I have hit my head a couple of times getting into the car. It has decent acceleration especially when in the dynamic mode. In Eco mode it seems very unresponsive. It has the standard stereo and that sounds ok, lacking the volume of the B&W. The car is a bit louder when driven. I think the XC90 T8 has a lot of sound insulation. The standard suspension seems well planted. The car appears to be less top heavy than the XC90 T8. The seats are standard. The leather is nice, but not as soft as the Napa Leather in the Inscription. The rear compartment is a lot smaller than the XC90. I had once looked at a XC60 T8 and thought the opening was too small for our dog. I checked out the opening in the XC60 T5 and it is also small and similar to the XC60 T8. I guess that makes sense as the battery does not take up space in the rear but is placed in the tunnel area. I still prefer the XC90 size wise.
Thanks for the review :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dealer indicated that they were not able to get my lower facia replaced under warranty. However, he did tell me to contact Volvo. I did in fact give them a call and they opened a case. So hopefully they will cover the damaged lower facia. I would post pictures but forgot to take one before taking the car in. Very strange that the facia just above the exhaust would melt and burn. I have to think it was because we were towing and the day was really hot. I also had the car in Power mode which would have opened the exhaust outlet on the passenger side. Perhaps the hose leak and the burn event occurred simultaneously which would make sense. The car did not get hot enough to throw a check engine but hot enough especially when we were at idle for what seemed like 15 minutes or more sitting on the freeway at 100 degrees F.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up the car today. They replaced the hose and let me take a picture of it. I was very surprised that it was not just the one hose but a whole system of hoses. Yea think this hose cost a lot of money?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Interesting. Are those clamped joints not supposed to be opened? Or just safer to replace all the segments for car this new.

I can see this is quite involved and expensive to replace on old cars out of warranty.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts