SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched on this forum with a lot of info on V70R/S60R models.
Has anyone with an XC90 experienced any issues with the same message "Anti-Skid Service Required" and the vehicle shutting off after about a minute?

All information I have gathered from search has led me to believe that it is a DEM issue. I jacked it up took a look at it and didn't see any obvious damage or loose connections. My wife did say that after she had driven in some hard rain the back up sensors started acting up and now the side mirrors won't adjust. The button doesn't illuminate and the mirrors won't move. Not too sure how these could be related.

Any troubleshooting tips I can try before I start ordering parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had some kind of ECM fail after washing car with lots of water down windshield wiper debris screen. I think it's on firewall somewhere.

Was also some kind of fuel control module needing to be moved from RR wheel to inside vehicle.

Good luck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm heading to the dealer this morning and hopefully they can fix this problem.

I will this post updated with the outcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i would disconnect the DEM and see if the engine stalls. I have heard of stalling due to a highly defective HS CAN so its possible...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disconnected the DEM and the result was the same. Engine would start normally and then shut off after 1min. Only this time I got several messages transmission service and immobilizer followed with the anti skid service required.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was kinda skeptical about taking the xc90 to the dealership since they just opened up in my neighborhood.

At first they told the that the issue is with a temp sensor and low battery.
After about an hour they called me back and said that wasn't it. It was the DEM but they will confirm.
They call again and told me it's not the DEM but a relay.
So they replaced the relay and the battery and the wife stopped by the dealership and picked it up and drove about 5miles away and noticed the car had no power and she couldn't drive over 60mph. So the xc90 is back at the dealership.

My guess is going to be the DEM...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now my XC90 is back on the road!!!!
The tech stated that the DEM will require replacement in the future but it shouldn't leave me stranded on the road. The relay did fix the issue I was having and they also replaced the battery.

The reason that it didn't want to accelerate faster than 60mph was because the computer hadn't reset itself. But the wife is happy to be on the road again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sinisin63, I had an anti-skid service required once on the XC90, it just shows up the message though the car does not stall or shuts down.
Whenever I switched off the car and restart it, it goes away and intermitently comes back.

I send it to the dealer, and their diagnose it as a faulty sensor in the DEM. The sensor is a small piece like a 10cents coin size and.... bingo... solved the problem.

I would recommend you consider changing all your AWD oils more frequent that required. I change them every 30,000miles and you can feel the difference in that the car runs soooo much smoother - tell me that the oil has degraded since I can feel the new found smoothness with the AWD oil change (AOC - Haldex Oil, Rear Final Drive and the angle gear oil).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my Ocean Race 2005 XC90, only differene is it doesn't shut off.It's a 6-speeddiesel manual.First it displayed Regular Service required; a few days later it displayed Brake Assist Service Required - then it came up with Anti Skid Temporarily Off - Anti Skid Service Required.It's not long passed the MoT & been fitted with new rear brake discs, pads & shoes.It failed the MoT as the handbrake wouldn't hold on a hill;this was repaired & only just good enough to pass the MoT.It had a new Yaw sensor last July & the CEM unit sealed after water in gress was found to be the cause.
Yesterday the loclk Garage tested it with Diagnostics machine - but no fault codes appeared!!!! iHe cleared the Service Required message but was unable to help further.Has anyone any ideas on this problem, please?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
We had some sort of a computer issue in the system on our 2004 2.5 AWD XC90 and it shut down the AWD feature and only allowed the front wheels to operate. I got a chance to see how a FWD XC90 would operate on our steep driveway, and some of it is gravel before it transitions to concrete and for us AWD is a critical necessity as the FWD in that weight of a vehicle just will not work for us. They reset it at the dealershop and off we went.

regads,

P

1 - 11 of 11 Posts