SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I have been googling the forum and found many threads on the topic of "Anti-skid Service Required" fault. It would appear the typical chain of answers points the root cause towards a speed sensor failure or Differential Electronic Module (DEM) failure.

I am bringing the car into the dealer on Thursday and I would like to educate myself before heading in. I would love to get some feedback from those who have been down this path recently.

This fault registered over the weekend. I drove for about 20 minutes on the highway and then it popped up. I turned the car off and restarted and it came back after I started driving again. I have a 06 S60R with about 67K at this time. The weather was fine, no rain, and actually downright hot. Maybe 80's on Saturday. Sunday morning after it sat all night, the error was off until about 10 miles into highway driving again. It was 95 on Sunday. After the error tripped it was on every time I drove on Sunday.

Today I drive to work after the car sat for a day and the temps are in the 60's and I go for 35 minutes on the highway and didn't trigger the fault.

If the error isn't present at the time I bring it in, how long will the previous faults be stored in the cars computer for them to read? I have no associated errors, apparent drive or braking issues when the error appears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
796 Posts
There is no one cause for that message. You would need to have the car hooked up to VIDA and have the codes read. Usually your only choice is a dealer or indy that has VIDA/DICE, or if there are any members in your area that have VIDA they could probably scan for codes. There are all kinds of sensors related to that message and any one of them could be the culprit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When the message pops up, do you have AWD? Traction control? When mine started acting up and displaying the same message, I got a ton of wheel spin and a lot of fish-tailing. DEM repaired by xemodex and reinstalled by dealer. On the way home, I tried and tried to spin the wheels and kick out the back end but it was firmly planted. Since the car is a hand-me-down to a relatively new teen driver, it made me feel very relieved to have the awd and skid control back. Worth every penny (about 700 bucks all in).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I get there isn't one smoking gun. I guess I was just looking for trend data.

Will the BIT codes still be present if the error hasn't been registering for a few days?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keep in mind that the dealer will read the code for free if the error is present when you bring it in. I have been geeting the same thing on my 06 with 61k for the last 3 months. The error comes and goes. I finally got a chance to get it to the dealer with the error showing and they read the code. In my case it is the clock spring or DEM. I have a new clock sping here but have not gotten it installed yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I get the same message, and the DSTC function doesn't work.
But I have yet to take it to the dealer, AWD still works and its summer. I'll try to find time to bring it in, especially if they read codes for free.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Go out start the car. If there is no fault while just sitting there turn your wheel all the way left and right a few times while watching the light. If it trips it (it may flash on then go off right away a few times before it stays on) then it could be your Steering Wheel Clock Sensor. After a local member ran VIDA on my R it looks like I have a bad steering sensor and a bad DEM. I have the same issue you do. Of course that does not mean we have the same problems.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i had mine come on a couple of times when i hit a pothole really hard.
Sometimes the sensors in the wheels can get dislodged or bumpped - If the message goes away and doesn't come back on regularly - i wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This message came on yesterday as I was pulling into a parking lot space. When I turned the car back on it said anti-skid temporarily disabled, but it went away after about 15 seconds (I figured this was normal) - however when I turned the car on this morning and drove 20 minutes to work, it remained off. It sounds like the message has to be present for the dealer to read any errors, right? Hoping it was just a fluke and the message doesn't come back, but I have a feeling it will be back :(

I currently have 59K on the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This message came on yesterday as I was pulling into a parking lot space. When I turned the car back on it said anti-skid temporarily disabled, but it went away after about 15 seconds (I figured this was normal) - however when I turned the car on this morning and drove 20 minutes to work, it remained off. It sounds like the message has to be present for the dealer to read any errors, right? Hoping it was just a fluke and the message doesn't come back, but I have a feeling it will be back :(

I currently have 59K on the car.
I brought my car into the dealer yesterday. The car had not been displaying the message over the last couple days. Regardless, they were able to retrieve stored information. This indicated faults in 2 brake pressure sensors.

Today they will have to dig in and replace these components which are integrated in with the master cylinder. I'll post a full part number and cost breakdown after I pick it up. It's under warranty so I didn't need to see a written estimate.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was gettIng te same error.. Turns out I was missing an axle bolt and the axle kept popping out of the hub during turns.. Fixed it with an axle bolt.
same with my R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts