SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had difficulty installing anti-ping axle bolts due to insufficient bolt length? I purchased the correct length bolts from IPD and it looks close when I remove the stock bolt, but the anti-ping isn't long enough to grab a thread.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure your axle is fully seated in the hub.
How is it possible for the axle to not be seated in the hub? I don't have off noises (other than ping) from the axles during normal driving.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Its possible for the splined shaft to pull out of its bore. the tip of the shaft should be just about flush with the end of the bore. If its pulled out a little, reach behind, grab the shaft and push it back in.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its possible for the splined shaft to pull out of its bore. the tip of the shaft should be just about flush with the end of the bore. If its pulled out a little, reach behind, grab the shaft and push it back in.
WTF - both axles (L / R) are flush with the hub and the new bolts arent long enough to engage on either side. It's really close, but probably off by 1mm or so.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Positive on the bolts.. checked the part number to ensure IPD sent the correct parts and they are the same length as my stock bolts, but with the addition of the rubber cone. I've purchased a set of 10.9 grade 75mm and 80mm long flange head bolts from Fastenal and will make a custom set. I cant explain this one, unless the prior owner used a short bolt and pulled the threads out of the axle. Left and right side bolts slide 10mm or so into the hole in the axle before catching a thread. Don't know how else to explain it. I installed the new bolts without the rubber cones an torqued them to 35Nm + 90 degrees and they torqued just fine.

Mystery.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had the same exact problem with mine about a month ago. decided to just use the new bolts and take off the rubber washer.. I will attempt again with the caR on a lift, the wheels off, and a pros attempt lol. even with just the new bolt though I noticed a huge difference. Probably just with the new loctite though.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same exact problem with mine about a month ago. decided to just use the new bolts and take off the rubber washer.. I will attempt again with the caR on a lift, the wheels off, and a pros attempt lol. even with just the new bolt though I noticed a huge difference. Probably just with the new loctite though.
Glad to hear that it's not just me... thank you. I'll let you know how it goes with the longer bolts.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Glad to hear that it's not just me... thank you. I'll let you know how it goes with the longer bolts.
I figured there must have been a different part number for longer bolts. But I thought I followed a different thread correctly and got the same part number... let us know which bolt you end up getting so we can get it too!

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
You might contact IPD and see if they can provide you any guidance.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My bolts.. worked perfectly. Maybe you're not forcing it in enough to grab the first few threads?

·
Banned
35 Posts
Since the depth of the hole in the axle stub has not changed, and the washer stops at the same point on both bolts, the bolt cannot be a different length without causing an issue. You just need to force the little rubber thingy (sorry to get technical on you) to compress enough to start the threads by hand.

Ken

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Pretty technical stuff. :D

·
Registered
8,062 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I tried that believe me. I put all my weight into it while wrenching on it and no bite.. then a buddy twice my size tried. still no bite.. I tried to pull the axle and it barely moved literally a hair till it clicked as far as it goes...

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Hmm, there is a chance that someone might have stripped some of the outer threads out of the CV then. If that is the case just ditch the rubber and use the bolts, as long as its torqued properly you should have no chance of ping. I've gotten by just fine with rubberless bolts for 160K miles after all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.