SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread

232K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  Antherzoll 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Not much of an introduction, but I'm Anthony and this is my XC70 build thread. Purchased in December 2012 with only 61k mi, now at October 2019 it's just over 145k mi and still going strong. Just pretty much doing my own thing and having fun with it as I go along. I've recently updated this thread with links to modification, trips, and repairs, but feel free to message me with any questions.

Enjoy!

Engine/Transmission Performance Upgrades:

Suspension/Drivetrain:
XC90 control arms
XC90 spindle/w hub & ball joints
XC90 2.5t front left/right axles

Utility:

Trips/Adventures:

Major Repairs:

01-28-2015 - Steering Rack/Bushings/Spring Seats/IPD Swaybar Install

12-13-2015 - Haldex pump replaced/fluid service
01-20-2016 - Valvebody replaced
04-24-2016 - Angle gear seals/collar sleeve
03-26-2017 - Exhaust manifold gasket/Turbo turbine housing replacement

08-15-2018 - Throttle body failure

01-26-2019 - Bent rear toe arm and wheel

04-02-2020 - Upper Engine Wiring Harness

[

See less See more
#448 ·
You should write a book on how to road trip with kids. Awesome pics and trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#450 ·
You should write a book on how to road trip with kids. Awesome pics and trip!

Thanks man.

Your back wheels are flaring out with negative camber or it's an illusion. Must be loaded up!
Yep, just the way it is loaded, It gains negative camber the lower it goes. I still have room to play with, haven't hit the bump stop yet [emoji33] [emoji23]

The XC has been tripping a P0136 that will clear then trip again after 1000mi. Seems like it trips on extended hill climbs in boost. No other codes with it. Pretty much going to ignore it until a get home. I have a high flow cat and O2 spacer installed, but this fault may be tripped due to a malfunctioning sensor...IRAQ.

#451 · (Edited)
The XC has been parked for a few days while we enjoyed some lazy days with family in Kaslo. Spent a lot of time on the beach.

Took a short hike up one of the peaks, and man I wish I had a mountain bike.

Village of Kaslo

Early morning Sunday we packed up a set sail for new grounds.

This begins our return trip back home, A pretty big travel day along some really nice twisting roads with awesome views. We didn't have much time to appreciate the scenery, but the kids rate the roads 2 out of 2 vomits [emoji23]. Our destination for the night was Mt.Fernie Provincial Park located in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. A beutiful area know for skiing in the winter, hiking/mountain biking in the summer.... My photography is lacking, but trust me, search for yourself.

On the move again this morning, destination Regina via the scenic Crowsnest Pass. First stop outside of Fernie is Sparwood to visit "The World's Largest Truck".

...effin yuge! Riding on 40.00-57 Yokohamas [emoji33]
https://www.otrusa.com/product/40-00-57-76pr-yokohama-y523-e4-tl/

Frank Slide. Hopped around a boulder field for a nice break.

...then it's pretty much back on the praries for miles.

Oh and the XC, it's been doing well. The P0136 hasn't returned, but it did set a P0101 after the last hill climb. Figured it was a boost leak cause a hissing could be heard on boost. Drove it all the way to Swift Current like that, found a large enough park for the family to get lost in for an hour while I sorted it out. A little road side leak test. [emoji23]

I don't know what to think about the damaged O-ring, but the throttle inlet hose at the intercooler had pulled out from under the band clamp just a little bit and that's what set the code. Like not bad for almost 3k mi of sustained boost [emoji33] . Took only 40mins to sort out, had something to eat, then it was back on the road with the XC running strong [emoji108]. Thinking of treating the XC to an oil change while in Regina as it's approx 7k mi on the current 5w40... or maybe I can stretch it until I get home [emoji23].

#452 ·
It's great to document part of this here for yourself and we are happy to get the opportunity to see it. Great pictures even though you think it's just a few.
Can't imagine the effort to change the control arms on that truck. Plus- where is the Spare? [emoji12]

#454 · (Edited)
Started today off right....

...yummm[emoji52]

Yes I know, not camping, but we are only in Regina for a couple nights to visit more family and reorganize for the trip home. Wife will fly home from here, and I will trip with the boys home over the next few days camping along the north shore of Lake Superior.

XC got some much needed treatment!

A quick cleaning of the interior to get all the apple cores, spilled drinks, and gummy bears unstuck from the seats [emoji23], and exterior to wash off the pounds of deceased insect carcasses. Also treated the XC to an oil change at The Great Canadian Oil Change. She got a fresh fill of Valvoline SynPower 5w40 and a Valvoline VO66 filter [emoji108].

With the XC cared for, and the wife and kids keeping up appearances with the old folks, I took to the roads for a solo trip to Saskatoon, sans-kiddos and sans-Dutchman. Gave Legtayor a shout a few days back letting him know I was going to be local, he was able to organize an afternoon meet up with a few enthusiasts.

Saskatoon Shines! [emoji274]

Legtayor has some high milage machines, and his T5 is running a Hilton Tune [emoji108]. Was interesting talking with him as he also had an ARD tune then later switch to Hilton....but we'll leave that right there. [emoji16]

On the way back I took to a back road to see what some of the country side had to offer, and while it wasn't much it was still a nice drive.

Tomorrow I'm off to Winnipeg for a quick vist then we're off into the wild for a few days. Check ya later!

#455 ·
Geez this Legtaylor guy sounds interesting... [emoji1]

Was good to meet you, loved seeing your machine and all the stuff under the hood. Particularly loved your water/meth injection system... I'll keep it a secret. Did you take your XC bombing through the ditch on those grids? That's the true Saskatchewan way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#458 · (Edited)
It has taken me a few days but I'm finally home. We took our time camping at a few Provincial Parks along the way from Winnipeg to Toronto.

Arron Provincial Park

Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park

Rainbow Falls Rossport Campground

Pancake Bay Provincial Park

...did the last 8.5h leg home in one shot.

The drive along the north shore of Lake Superior is beautiful, twisty costal roads, amazing views, and it can be quite mountainous in sections. I love this drive every time!

...home sweet home

Some trip stats for you all.
Distance Traveled: 5519mi 8830km
Travel Time: 110h over 18days
Average Fuel Economy: 16.2mpg
Average Speed: 50mph
Fuel: 340Gal or 1286L

Quite an epic trip, but it's not the most epic I've been on with the family. Some of you may recall the road trip we took In 2015, we did 7000mi in 5 weeks with the same setup. The XC seems to be handling the punishment well. I'm quite shocked that I haven't cooked the engine or broke the transmission yet... knock on wood. [emoji16]

#462 ·
HAHAHA.......I'm working with a girl from Ireland for the summer and she was having a hard time comprehending that I drove 900 miles to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina. Really is a different mindset. I see it sometimes in Rhode Island, too lol.

#461 ·
Kudos to Family Antherzoll for a remarkable journey! It's been decades since I did anything (remotely) similar- but the memories of this great country will be with your children for life. Well done.

#463 ·
Kudos to Family Antherzoll for a remarkable journey!
Indeed. And with the kids I think some sort of medal is in order :D

HAHAHA.......I'm working with a girl from Ireland for the summer and she was having a hard time comprehending that I drove 900 miles to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina. Really is a different mindset.
Not long after we were married the wife and I did Sheffield to Nice which is more or less 1000 miles door to door. I think the drive was the best bit of the holiday. The autoroutes du Soleil were something else.

#471 ·
I did 920ish miles from Madison, WI to Northern NJ in one shot in 2015.

I left Madison at midnight Central time, and pulled in my driveway around 4pm the same day EDT.

I hit traffic in Chicago at around 2am, other than that it was 80mph on a straigh highway for the rest of the trip. I snoozed for about a half hour at a rest stop in Ohio just after sunrise.

I did it in a NA 2005 Subaru Legacy. Fully loaded, averaged 29.7 mpg. On the way out, I averaged 32.1 mpg. (Downhill coming out of the Appalachians vs uphill coming back is one thing I attribute it to.)

It was truly a feat, I slept for 14 hours straight afterwards. I miss doing trips over 6 hours. It's been awhile.

#473 · (Edited)
Canoe camping with the family this weekend in the Halliburton Highlands. This is one of our favourite spots to camp as it is not too well known so the sites aren't overused. With a little boat in boat action and the vehicle loaded up we set off.

Access to the lake is down a logging road, nothing special but I pieced together a video leading out from the launch back to the main road that I will post below.

It was raining pretty hard for most of the weekend, but there were some nice breaks in between storms.

Got hit hard by a storm cloud on the way out.

...beats being at home [emoji16]

#476 ·
The pic in the canoe in the pouring rain....... was an intense flashback to my childhood. My dad would have passionately approved of your travels.

#479 · (Edited)
Saddened that I am not as adventurous as you. My kids have been deprived! This was really nice to see and to read.
I did 850 miles back in the late 80s to Daytona beach to see a friend who had moved to attend embry riddle and stay to work after. My friend and I left north of D.C. Here after work on a Friday evening and we drove through the night in under 10 hours. I'm amazed that we lived, didn't get a ticket and that we lived. Yes, I mention lived twice- at 430 in the morning I just couldn't keep my eyes open any more and slowly drifted into the median and then woke up. I pulled over at the next exit and had my friend wake up so he could finish the drive and we were one exit away...
At one point when we were both awake- probably midnight, we were cruising around 90-95 or so (limit then was still 55) and we were passed by a trans am going north of 140. We were in shock as we had never seen it coming and it quickly disappeared... on the parallel side road to 95!

#481 · (Edited)
Opened up and cleaned out the oil catch can today. ~8k mi since install (6k towing and trips) using Mobile 1 0w40 and while I'm not exactly shocked by how much has accumulated, I'm more surprised at the sludge and varnish that has coated the can and the steel wool.

If this is what collected in my catch can over 8k mi, how are the stock breather and drain ports looking? seems like the PCV is just prone to clogging, or is it that the catch can is placed away from the engine heat and is much cooler, what condensed inside the catch can would not collect in a system that was operating at engine temperature, hence why Volvo has a heated PCV.

Anyways, this can is spliced into the vent hose from the stock breather to the intake pipe which vents pre-turbo, the can is meant to condense and collect the oil vapour that the stock breather did not catch to keep it out of my turbo and induction hoses. I'm glad that I installed it.

#482 ·
#484 · (Edited)
No, stock breather hose is fully intact. It is spliced between the the PCV vent hose and the PTC element close to the turbo using a 5/8" straight barb. Not my picture, but might give you a better idea.

Just want to say again. For the majority of the miles the engine was loaded and in boost while cruising (3-5psi average, plus hill climbs), meaning that the PCV gasses would be vented to the intake pipe instead of the manifold (in boost manifold has positive pressure). I'd guess with normal usage, when the manifold would have a vacuum at cruise, oil vapour vents directly into the intake manifold and not the intake pipe resulting in less accumulation in catch can.

#486 ·
Familiar landscape

Great thread man, read every word, and pleasantly surprised you like my backyard. I grew up in Toronto but settled in Peterborough, where else can you be in 5 lakes within 15 mins?

I used to own an 05 XC70 but it got stolen so we (wife and I) bought Subarus, but I missed the tank. So I bought an 06 and am curious about some of your mods. Will update on condition of wagon and priorities.

Great read and pragmatic mods inspire, thank you.

RC