SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
161 - 180 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 · (Edited)
Ha, was going to post later on tonight.

It hasn't changed, having the same issue, also getting a faint coast down knock again (front CV on the driveshaft had made it more noticeable previously). Leaning towards either an issue with the linear soleniods or the valvebody itself. Reason being that I do not have this issues with the cold transmission, it shifts flawlessly.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 · (Edited)
Well attempt #2: FAIL
Cause: Weather

Once again made time for this and yet another hang up. I checked the forcast and the rain was supposed to hold off until tonight... WRONG. Would have been fine if I set up on higher ground, but unfortunately the eavestrough were clogged up and dumped all the rain right in front of my unit :mad:. I was just about the get at the flange when my ass started to get soaked, so I called it quits. Removed the driveshaft completely (which I'll be replacing soon), hung the exhaust, covered the flange on the AOC to protect it from the elements, and now my XC is officially FWD and I need some dry clothes and a beer.
Attempt #3 & 4: Fail
Cause: Flange nut cannot be removed with typical tool.

Went at this agian then brought it to my mechanic who also had trouble. Trying both an impact gun and a two foot breaker bar, using a strap wrench as a counter hold a soaking it with tons of penetrating oil (even though it's not that rusty), and the damn thing wouldn't loose. I'm reluctant to try heat but may go that route if option 3 doesn't work. My mechanic is going to pick-up the Volvo counter hold and will try agian on Monday. He will also be swapping in the new valve body and servicing the front CV while it's in. Time being what it is I can't dedicate any more towards this at this time of year, and not having AWD is starting to get to me. Has be quite damp around here recently, and due to my driving habits, I'm finding that I'm spinning the tires too often from a stop.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Was curious about how long you could continue to live without AWD! Weather seems to be playing "nice" so far, but it can't last. Sorry to hear about your difficulties man! I'm contemplating an FWD for the new vehicle, but Everytime it gets wet or I go to the woods I end up firmly back in the "AWD FTW" camp...

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Weather seems to be playing "nice" so far, but it can't last.
I'm not a meteorologist, but here's my thought. For anyone around the Great Lakes affected by winter snow squalls, the longer mild weather keeps up, the more heat energy the lakes absorb. Once it dips below freezing and a nice arctic wind blows in (and it should sometime this winter), all that extra heat energy will increase the amount of snow accumulation. Also, if it continues to be mild all winter that additional heat energy isn't let off. Next summer is going to be a humid one and may line up next winter to be a mess. But I could be completly wrong, just me trying add some doom and gloom to this awesome weather. I was out in my T-shirt on my bike today!!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
if you have a welder, weld pipe to flat plate cut into "U" shape that catches the flange holes. Wedge against the ground. I guess if you don't have a welder you could just use a long piece of flat stock and drill two holes to catch the flange.

that's how I remove axle yokes.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
if you have a welder, weld pipe to flat plate cut into "U" shape that catches the flange holes. Wedge against the ground. I guess if you don't have a welder you could just use a long piece of flat stock and drill two holes to catch the flange.

that's how I remove axle yokes.

Issue i can see with that is the vibration damper around the flange protrudes about 1/2". Tried to adapt something similar but bolts would be too long and would just bend with the torque. What I feel is needed and the Volvo tool will accomplish is a counter hold that clears the vibration damper and mates to the flange directly while providing access to the flange nut.

Here is one persons DIY from a VW forum.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)
DIY flange tool +impact takes that right off.
I guess I forget that most people haven't made the investment and take 500 ft lbs of impact driver for granted.
I agree, it's the strap wrench around the vibration damper that was dampening the blows from the impact driver, but most that I've heard from that use this method have had success.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 · (Edited)
Rock Auto has issued a RMA and is paying for the return shipping. I'll be purchasing a CV kit from Colorado Driveshafts and will service the OE shaft myself.

http://m.eb ay.ca/itm/Volvo-drive-shaft-joint-kit-/151783447715?nav=SEARCH
:thumbup: to Rockauto, not only have they refunded the part, they refunded the shipping and covered the return shipping.

We have issued you credit for RockAuto Order #

PayPal

Amount (USD): $260.01

Refunded Items

API Part # 1701325942: Part: $175.79 + Original Shipping: $60.00 + Tax: $24.22 = Total: $260.01

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Been almost two weeks since I drove my XC...‎

Soooo... Finally got the valve body swapped in and man does it ever shift nice! I don't feel any of the upshifts or downshifts unless I'm using GT and revving high. Still having a slight clunking when shifting N-R or N-D and I'm quite sure that this is just some drivetrain slop from all the miles of abuse (which is to be expected) because say if I shift it in and out of drive twice the second shift into drive is like butter. Really sounds like the angle gear, someone suggest possibly early sign of collar sleeve wear (which I was going to service as a preventative measure...because I really have the time for that now...), but I really think it's just some internal wear in the transmission. Not going to address this unless it gets really aggravating or if something blows up...stay tuned :D

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Where are you going to get the spring seats and strut mounts from?
Replaced about 10k mi ago. Should have done the struts at the same time, but I was being cheep. I got those from eeuroparts with their Canada direct option (duties paid) along with a bunch of other parts, when the dollar was better.

161 - 180 of 1289 Posts