SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
921 - 940 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #921 · (Edited)
After Dinosaur Provincial Park we 'bridged the gap' so to say. We spent one night in Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park then drove the length across the prairies in one shot to Winnipeg. Spent the day in Winnipeg then camped in a Place just outside of Kenora, ON. Took the following 8 days/1800km to trip home across the north shore of Lake Superior. Here's a few of our stops.

Sandbar Lake Provincial Park

We had a fox visit us for dinner...

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #922 ·

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #923 ·

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #925 ·

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #927 · (Edited)
Trip totals
Time: 25days
Distance: 5992mi / 9643km
Fuel Economy: 15.2mpg / 15.47L/100km
Fuel: 394gallons / 1492L fuel
Fuel Average Price (91): $3.36/g / $1.19/L
Fuel Total Cost: $1348US / $1798CAD

The XC performed flawlessly. No issues at all and had plenty of power to pull the load up hills and on the highway, and most importantly had the stopping power to bring it to a stop quickly. A lot of time in boost at cruise and on hill climbs, but she handled the abuse without fail! We faced some nasty head winds across the prairies which caused the fuel economy to tank. On a 1000km stretch it was averaging 12mpg / 19.3L/100km at 95km/h . It was worked hard on a few side trips, up steep grades, and across hard terrain. I'm really pleased with its performance and I'm looking forward to taking it on many more adventures in the future!

Cheers!
Anthony

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Looks like a great trip! I've always wanted to do the east shore of Lake Huron and the north shore of Superior. Maybe, someday.

Yes, the winds across the plains can suck. Remember getting 6 MPG with a 25ft TT going across OK at 60-65 MPH. The truck would drop to 3rd gear on level ground. $120 in gas to go 180 miles (in 2008).

·
Registered
182 Posts
The XC performed flawlessly.
Awesome!! Loved following along with all the pictures, inspiring trip for sure

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
When we were young my dad used to rent an RV and take us up to the mountains. Catskills or PA. You've seriously got me remembering those days and wanting to recreate those memories now that we've got young kids around again in our family. (Not mine! lol!)

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #934 ·
Took the XC bombing down some dirt roads today to get a feel for the 25mm wheel spacers I installed last week. It definitely was rubbing like mad on drop off and large bumps. Got it home and up on ramps to see where it was making contact.

Well, that's tight!

I removed the wheel well liner and with a little bit of trimming and a few body rivets I was able to get a little more clearance while maintaining the wheel well liner.

It just barely tucks in there. Loaded up some tool in the back and took it for a drive over a few large speed bumps and there's no more rubbing at bottom. Things could be different with a trailer load or the new Toyos I've got waiting, but for now it's clear. Alternatively I could drop down to 20mm spacers, but that means getting 17mm extended bolts which I'm not thrilled about.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #936 ·
Moar pictures! I was going to get 235/70R16, which are 29" as well, and you made me very sad.
I've been through this when I originally fitted the 235/65R17. Fronts had a little rubbing at full lock, but the rears would contact the wheel wells which need to be worked to fit.

Read this here.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?p=4080081

While tight, they fit perfectly after the modification. The rear could be loaded down the to bump stops without rubbing.

I have no pics of the recent modification as I was rushed, but because of the spacers it needs more clearance at the outer edges. I removed the wheel well liner, cut off the tabs for the body trim peices, trimmed the outer lip that tucks under the trim, trimmed and cut the retaining tabs back to make the liner seat flush to the innee lip, and cut the two bump outs for the trim rivets on the liner so that they can tuck in (I'll need to seal these holes). Pop rivets to secure it all back into place.

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
LOVE the new teeth! They look so good!
You make 31x10.5's work, and I'm buying an 07 XC somewhere and doing this trail of mods...
It would then become my new favorite over my 88 Toyota 4x4.

I've been through this when I originally fitted the 235/65R17. Fronts had a little rubbing at full lock, but the rears would contact the wheel wells which need to be worked to fit.

Read this here.

While tight, they fit perfectly after the modification. The rear could be loaded down the to bump stops without rubbing.

I have no pics of the recent modification as I was rushed, but because of the spacers it needs more clearance at the outer edges. I removed the wheel well liner, cut off the tabs for the body trim peices, trimmed the outer lip that tucks under the trim, trimmed and cut the retaining tabs back to make the liner seat flush to the innee lip, and cut the two bump outs for the trim rivets on the liner so that they can tuck in (I'll need to seal these holes). Pop rivets to secure it all back into place.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Read this here.

Yeah, seen that. I guess, the only way to know if it'll fit is to buy the rubber and have no way back :)

I also got a Tundra TRD Offroad to deal with the reconstruction of new to us house, but man it is unprepared to leave the asphalt! :( XC70 is way better protected, plus as capable as Tundra 4x4-wise. Or, better said, Tundra is no better than XC70. Volvo strong! ?

921 - 940 of 1289 Posts