SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
841 - 860 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yep, and black flies and mosquitoes. I'd brave them on my own, but now with the kids it's no fun. Limited to day trips are car camping...
Mosquitoes are nuisance, black flies - these are real bad ass creatures! I just keep driving during the light time of the day and camp at dusk. Given that the nights are still cold and the flies hides in moss for night.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I got a wind fairing with the other set of cross bars... I test fitting just for laughs but it looks awful.
Yeah, I bought Yakima wind fairing and didn't like it on the basket: too ugly. Will install it on wife's XC60 when we get her sister's family flying from the other side of the pond to camp with us. Roof box on XC60 is very noisy because of the air gap between roof an box, wind fairing will do it.

I also put a sheet of thick rubber on the basket, for better grip.

G

·
Mosquitoes are nuisance, black flies - these are real bad ass creatures! I just keep driving during the light time of the day and camp at dusk. Given that the nights are still cold and the flies hides in moss for night.
We dont even wanna touch topic of black flies lol. If ya ever get a chance head to STPR in Wellsboro PA. Ya know its bad when 5 minutes after getting out of car without a hat, nature provides one for you 😂 all of the last few years they haven't been that though, the biggest thing you got to worry about is getting dropped on by the caterpillars raining from the trees

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
We dont even wanna touch topic of black flies lol. If ya ever get a chance head to STPR in Wellsboro PA. Ya know its bad when 5 minutes after getting out of car without a hat, nature provides one for you ? all of the last few years they haven't been that though, the biggest thing you got to worry about is getting dropped on by the caterpillars raining from the trees
You tell me! =)

This was in August when they are almost gone. I go there in a week, Odin saves me...

Freaking hate gypsy moth! I live maybe 10 miles away from the outbreak point in 19th century! My deck is usually heavily covered with their poop while they chewing up my oaks :( Actually, chewing down: every year a few large trees die because of complete defoliation year over year. Have to spray insecticide on bark after each rain to keep them under some control.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 · (Edited)
Facking canker worms.

That bug hat... . Family owns a cottage between Huntsville and Parry Sound near a wetland that I'd spend a lot of time at in all seasons growing up. In this season the only way you could stand them is in a full bug suit and drunk enough not to care about the mind numbing ringing of a million tiny blood sucking wings. Great for fishing though as it keep the stocks fed and to tourist away.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 · (Edited)
What did play?
2004 in great condition. Sleeps 6 (more like 5 with Queen, double, single), 3-way fridge, furnace, battery, 1275lbs, for $2300. Never in a million years did I think that I'd succumb to the the convenience of trailer camping, but here we are, with 3 kids. These take 20mins to setup to have a full on campsite and it's still small enough to book in the non-serviced sites.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
2004 in great condition. Sleeps 6 (more like 5 with Queen, double, single), 3-way fridge, furnace, battery, 1275lbs, for $2300. Never in a million years did I think that I'd succumb to the the convenience of trailer camping, but here we are, with 3 kids. These take 20mins to setup to have a full on campsite and it's still small enough to book in the non-serviced sites.
Cool! I wish I had more parking space or bigger yard...

·
Registered
20,495 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #857 · (Edited)
Inside of a week the Dutchman is gone and this took its same tag. Wow!
Looks quite a bit bigger.
I think it's the wheels and the ride height. It's 8in longer closed and 11in longer fully open. It definitely feels heavier, but the vehicle still has no issues pulling it.

I almost bought a 1706, but it was a 2000, no fridge, and they wanted $300 more for it with some body damage. This 1906 is clean, I could probably flip it for $3500.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Bigger wheels are a definite plus!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Same, currently storing it at a buddy's shop, the deal is he get's free use. Saves me quite a bit in storage and it's safer there anyways.
Ten more years of hard work and I can finally afford something meaningful in Boston suburbs! Oh wait, housing prices climb up faster than my salary... :(

I'm keep telling my wife about that Canada thing, that you don't have to pay anything for the cabin along James Bay Road :-D

841 - 860 of 1289 Posts