SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
821 - 840 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Y'all have some great adventures! Always nice to see a wagon getting used!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks Man! Would love to go on more deeper and challenging adventures, but camping with a 6mo, 4yo, and 6yo is challenging enough right now.
I've got a 12yo, 10yo, and 7yo (all boys too!)…and I'm not near as ballsy as you are! Big ups for what you *do* take em out to do! Hoping to get the recently acquired XC70 stage zeroed for an all guys road trip to Colorado this Summer. Pretty stoked, actually…

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Testing out an alternative to the Yakima rack mounts for 1" round bars. Got these from eBay, SS 90* pipe locks.
Homebrew gear in the background?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've got a 12yo, 10yo, and 7yo (all boys too!)…and I'm not near as ballsy as you are! Big ups for what you *do* take em out to do! Hoping to get the recently acquired XC70 stage zeroed for an all guys road trip to Colorado this Summer. Pretty stoked, actually…
Hell, myself at any of those ages would have loved to go deep into the adirondacks for a camping trip. One of my earliest camping memories is up there, playing pokemon silver and looking up to see a bird swat a bat out of midair and peck it to death on the pavement. That bird was a death metal genius.

You Volvo guys, all the same...

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #832 ·
Yakima Loadwarrior: 2x Extension, 2x the fun.

First off, thanks to vtl for proving that the double extension works well. I was going to hold off on this one, but that's no fun now is it

What's been done to a accommodate and provide support for the rack is the installation of two additional load bars so that there is one load bar per section of rack. I feel like one additional load bar in the middle would be enough support, but I bought a set of used bars so there were two to use up. The rack is 'flush' mounted, the rack sits below the load bars and is supported using non-standard hardware from underneath. Purchased a set of 1" pipe-to-pipe locks from eBay for the job. I was under the assumption that they were stainless when I ordered them, but they were zinc plated and would need to be painted for use in the rust belt. Also installed between the contact point between the load bars and rack are felt pads for protection.

The rack feels rock solid, no movement what so ever, feels like it's a permanent fixture to the vehicle. The pipe locks work amazingly well and are easy to install, if you plan to use them be careful not to overtorque the bolts as they will compress the rack bars. I'm quite happy with the way it looks and it should function much better with the canoe and pack as the longer span will make the canoe more stable.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #838 ·
If you only put one extension on the basket, do you think you could get away with just two cross bars? I am thinking of adding an extension to mine, but not sure if I want to add an other cross bar.
The Manufacturer designed the extension to work with two crossbars. I was running mine like that for years and it works fine although I'm not a fan of the plastic mounting hardware of the basket.

821 - 840 of 1289 Posts