SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
781 - 800 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 · (Edited)
Well ladies, got to it today and finally, FINALLY! installed the front end XC90 bits that I've been hoarding.

Just to recap.

What we have here:
- Modified XC90 L&R Control Arms
- 2.5T XC90 L&R Axles
- 2.5T XC90 L&R Spindles c/w Hubs and balljoints.

What's been done and required to complete the conversion:
- XC90 336mm brakes
- XC90 Neptune 67.1mm bore wheels with 235/65R17

Control Arm Modification:

A press is required to modify the front bushing. Comparing the two pictures above you can see that the front bushing needs to be pressed in to match the stock XC70 bushings location. This allows the arm to fit into the XC70 subframe.

Installing the arm on to the subframe requires a washer to space out the front bushings slightly. The bushing is much larger than the XC70 bushing, a true HD upgrade, and with the washers places the ball joint in the proper location when comparing it to the XC70 arms. Also, some metal may need to be cut away from the weld around the bushing area.

Other than the control arms the rest of the install is straight forward. I had a hell of a time removing the driver's side axle, but when it finally popped it was all gravy. Alignment was way off post install, the wheels were toed out quite badly, had to adjust them enough to test drive it. Only took it once around the block and alleyways and so far no issues over the rugged pothole riddled roads of Toronto. Going to get it into the shop ASAP then give it a proper test drive.

Ride height seems unchanged and this is preferred as I didn't want the front end rake. The wheels are slightly more spaced out and just like I predicted, the spindle increases the tire/spring clearance by +12mm

So much room for activities... 245/75R17s...??? If any of you have followed or have read Team Ken's XC70 build you will notice that they took a new set of struts and modified them to increase the clearance. This modification allows for the same amount of clearance with mostly bolt on parts.

Quite a bit of work, but some of it was needed. Previous to this I was running the IPD HD arms... Enough said. The axles are a supporting modification thats required when lifting the vehicle as the stock axles can't handle the angles. While this modification will allow for the install of larger tires upfront, the rear would need to be further modified to accept a larger tire. I'm quite happy with the 235/65R17s as they handle well enough for my usage and they look quite balanced for the vehicle. I'll post back with alignment and test drive results. This is not a successful install just yet... Stay tuned!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You’re a beast, Antherzoll! This is awesome! Can’t wait to hear how it drives after you get it aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 · (Edited)
I made my own bushing press using a 12ton bottle jack. Had an old clapped out 4ton press and frame, used the frame to mount the jack to. Because the bottle jack only works in the upright position I had to drill a hole into it to extend the pickup. Mounted it to a plate then to the frame. Using threaded pipe connectors as press tools . Cheap, easy, and works.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
What about rubber lips on the subframe bushings, do they rest on the spacer? Not clear on the picture, but does it makes sense to make front spacers slightly bigger? Don't want to introduce any engine vibrations...
I tried to match the mount footprint as best as possible. You could go slightly larger but not too much.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 · (Edited)
Wellz, it just went into the shop for an alignment, won't get it back until tomorrow. Took it for a quick boot around the back alleys and on some main streets. Good things to report is that everything feels tight and there's no noises. Really tried to load the suspension at odd angles by rolling it off of curbs and hammering speed bump straight on and at an angle . Yeah, so, anyways. Getting it back tomorrow evening then hopefully pulling the camper out for the weekend.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 · (Edited)

Well there it is. Besides front caster, which isn't adjustable, everything else is within spec. From the measurements, the left front camber is just positive, but on the XC90 spindle there's no adjustment. I do have camber bolts, but are they necessary? It's drives well and true, feels solid, and looks square. No contact with the control arm and subframe and it handles quite well so far. I assume as a bushing soften up I may need to cut some more out of the pinch weld, but for now everything is well.

Post alignment printout shows that the front axle is spaced out +2.87" from stock without wheel spacers. Adding 2" to the rear axle will help balanc the front/rear track width as well as the overall aesthetics.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 · (Edited)
Took it out for a another test drive last night. People! Remember to re-torque those lugs ... driver's side wheel got a little loose on me during the run. Anyways, I tired to thrash the hell out of it last night as a way of stress testing. No issues to report, does all the things a car should do, but better . A small vibration I had attributed to tire balance may have been caused by the old passenger's side axle as I noticed it had some play, so good thing that's solved. The steering feels a bit heavier at low speeds, and the extra weight from the cast arms and cast spindles is noticable. I'm calling this a success! We will see how things wear as they get worked in.

I posted this over in the XC90 forum, but so far no bites. The swap has spaced out the front wheels nicely, but I feel the rears look impacted compared to them. Toying with the idea of set of 20-25mm spacers with 67.1mm bore for the rear wheels. I've seen a bunch on eBay and from other sources that range in price, but I'm wonder what y'all are using or if there are any recommendations. While I'm not a fan of the 17mm heads, I know I'll need longer lugs as well. I'd plan on swapping over all the lugs to have 17mm all around so if there's a source for quality lugs let me know.

I know 67.1 is not the correct size, but what I'm planning on doing is adding a hub ring to the adapt the spacer to the hub. As it is right now, the front hubs are 67.1mm and the rear hubs are the stock 65.1mm. This will allow me to remove the hubrings from the rear wheel and mount/rotate them without issues.

Cheers
Anthony

·
Registered
2007 Volvo Xc70 & 2019 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar
518 Posts
I've purchased ebay spacers for a previous car and over time one of the studs broke off when I was torquing my lugs after swapping wheels. Less than 10k on it too. I only torque wheels to 80-90ftlbs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
I've purchased ebay spacers for a previous car and over time one of the studs broke off when I was torquing my lugs after swapping wheels. Less than 10k on it too. I only torque wheels to 80-90ftlbs.

Do you think that was due to the quality of the studs or caused by stress from the spacer?

·
Registered
2007 Volvo Xc70 & 2019 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar
518 Posts
I would say quality probably. I had purchased 1x pair for like 55$ 20mm spacer. I guess you could always hammer in new stronger studs by a reputable company?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
I would say quality probably. I had purchased 1x pair for like 55$ 20mm spacer. I guess you could always hammer in new stronger studs by a reputable company?

Should be grade 10.9 for wheel lugs from what I know.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The Dutchman is back!

I think I need to drop the hitch ball a little bit. So damn high I had to jump into the cargo area to hitch up. Still on the lookout for an OE tow bar with a 2 inch receiver.
Or just lower it a bit in the back... that wheel well is atrocious

my 2003 has an oe hitch with the plugs, but you'd have to give me a reason to take it off :p

781 - 800 of 1289 Posts