SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
641 - 660 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Front and Rear subframe spacers

Got hooked up from my brother, gave him all of the dimensions and he fabbed me up a set. Could be done with less material, and I had to increase the ID of 2 spacers because of the subframe locating pins. They are 5/8 16mm thick. I was only able to install them and not really take it for a test drive or check everything over... I got called into work. Anyways, I feel like they're more of a supporting mod opposed to actually lifting the vehicle as they will reduce the angle that the control arms and other parts are resting at, but I'll take some measurements when I get a chance. Only Hardware that was required we're 4 M10x50mm bolts for the front subframe rear bracket. All the other subframe bolts had at least 30 mm engagement into the chassis. I should be good to go ahead and install the XC90 front end now along with a rear spring Mount spacer.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
What's your thought on using hockey pucks? Too tall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
Hahaha. I like it, but I don't think they will hold up well under the torque of the bolts without a metal washer between the puck and the subframe mount. Check the IPD build to get a better idea of what's involved.

https://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/286/team-ken

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I mean, it's a cool display of machining but I don't see why you couldn't find some sort of nut/bolt that fits the same dimensions. Or a stack of washers. Weld them together if anything. Or grind/drill something out of a piece of stock. There's a thousand ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts

When you did XC90 rear 308mm vented brakes did you change the brake dust shield?

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you went with larger brakes, is there a necessity to change the master cylinder or related part? Thought being, I changed to a larger MC when I went with bigger brakes on my Miata. It helped build up the pressure faster and had firmer pedal feel. Lastly, can I ask what components did you salvage from the xc90 to use on your 70 to do this? I’m following and want to do the same for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,495 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #654 ·
Nice!

Thanks. Wonder how much they'd let it go for? Erie has a kit and they are a bit closer to me, but for $300us. Shipping seems cost prohibitive. I wouldn't be against rolling a JY trip into a road trip... Buy May is a long ways away.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
Well I'll share this here...

Dropping my kids off at school today... the popular choice.

...one more not pictured behind me.

Also caught this a few times around the neighborhood.

Also, a bunch of new XC60s and a few XC40s. P2s and P3s are still maintaining a strong presence in the neighborhood, but the SPAs are showing up more and more.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Also, a bunch of new XC60s and a few XC40s. P2s and P3s are still maintaining a strong presence in the neighborhood, but the SPAs are showing up more and more.
The mommies know what's hot. lol

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
What will they all jump ship to when their engines all blow up at 30k miles?

That V90 looks the part though......haven't seen a SPA that cool since I was in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 · (Edited)
In the quest to find a brighter H11 I went ahead and bought a 4 sets of cheap LED lamp from Amazon.ca to test out.

From left to right:

OE Osram H11 - Halogen

Safego - https://www.amazon.ca/Safego-Headli...safego+h11&dpPl=1&dpID=51Wn5EqLPSL&ref=plSrch

FSM
https://www.amazon.ca/FMS-Headlight...ds=FMS+H11&dpPl=1&dpID=51d8iY6ID8L&ref=plSrch

Nighteye
https://www.amazon.ca/NIGHTEYE-Head...ghteye+H11&dpPl=1&dpID=51EbvhBBIDL&ref=plSrch

Sealight
https://www.amazon.ca/SEALIGHT-Upgr...SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sealight+H11&psc=1]

Brand names don't really mean too much. In my searches I've found many lamps, including the ones listed above, under different names or with mismatched emitters and heatsink. The reason I chose to test these 4 is each of the lamps has the emitter positioned close to where the halogen filament would sit on a halogen lamp. Small, narrow, and thin emitters will create a desirable beam pattern. Measuring the emitters show's there quite a difference between them. Was trying to only purchase LEDs with passive heatsinks, but the Safego had good reviews.

H11 Halogen
Height - 5mm
Width - 1.9mm
(tried to break one open to measure the filament, but I forgot how much pressure the bulbs are under . So this is a rough eye ball with the calipers through the bulb)

Nighteye
LED Height - 5.8mm
LED Width - 1.6mm
Split - 4.4mm

Sealight
LED Height - 5.2mm
LED Width - 1.1mm
Split - 3.7mm

Safego
LED Height - 5mm
LED Width - 2mm
Split - 2.75mm *emitter is recessed into housing. True split is less.

FSM
LED Height - 6.7mm
LED Width - 1.7mm
Split - 6.1mm

Beam patterns. I locked the camera settings for all pictures. All test were done only using the left side headlight at 25'. Overall, patterns for all of the lamps look ok. All lamps were quite easy to seat in the headlight and there's adequate room for the heatsinks. The Sealight being the dimmest seems to be the most comparable to the halogen. The nighteye and FSM were ok, but the cutoff did not look as clean. The Safego is by far the brightest, cutoff and pattern is good. I installed the other Safego into the right side and took it for a test drive.

They are very bright, and they look quite sharp. Light is thrown out quite a bit with a clean cut off. With properly adjusted headlights they do not glare. There is a hot spot in the middle, but the halogens also had the same spot, just less intense. I'm going to run the Safego for now as I'm quite happy with them. The H9 I will keep as a halogen, possibly get a colour matched Philips. Testing the LEDs in the H9 seems to have less intensity than halogen. Even though the LED is brighter, the Halogen has a more focused hot spot. I will be swapping out he H1 fogs to LEDs.

All the lamps had a faint flicker to them only really noticeable at low engine RPM, I'm sure there's a fix for that, but it's not too annoying. Also, the low-beam failure is triggered.

Hopefully this was helpful. Was a quick and easy experiment, did it in the grocery store parking lot since I'm there most the time anyways. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

Update:
So I've decided that the Safego are a bit too bright for the lowbeam. While the cutoff is good, there is still quite a bit of light thrown out by them. I've swapped in the Sealight lamps and they are much easier on the eyes, as well as maintaining a decent amount out light output. I swapped in the Safego into the H9 HighBeam position.

Sealight Lows (Alleyway is on a slight downhill)

Sealight Lows/Safego Highs

I've got one more lamp I'd like to test out, as well as one for the H1 fog lights.

641 - 660 of 1289 Posts