SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
601 - 620 of 1,490 Posts
Discussion starter · #1,255 ·
Great job! Questio what size alloys are you running will those disks and calipers work with standard XC70 R16 alloys?
No, wheels are 17" and 336mm brakes from an XC90, but there are 316mm brakes from the XC90 that will fit under 16" wheels.

I'll share what I know.

There are 3 different sized brakes, 316mm, 328mm, and 336mm. I'm unsure which models came with 328mm, but from my understanding XC90 2.5T came with 316mm as they'll fit under 16s, and XC90 T6 and V8 came with 336mm, rear brakes are the same size for all models. All calipers require the correct carrier. Most likely which ever caliper you purchase will come with the correct carrier.

The 336mm calipers are larger than the 316mm and also require a different sized carrier. Here's a side by side of a 316mm caliper and a 336mm caliper.

Numbers are:
316mm Calipers: 30639520 and 30636355, or casting number 969 and 970

336mm Calipers: 30657307 and 30657303, or casting number 960 and 959

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #1,268 ·
Hey Guys!

Now that summer has unofficially begun the XC along with the Viking are being put back into adventure duty with a few light trips to start the season to Long Point PP and Sandbanks PP. Both parks offer a mix of easy to access beaches, trails, and waterways to get out with the kids to enjoy a nice and lazy stay. A soft start to the season ahead and a way to get back into the groove.

Long Point

Sandbanks

With an average of 16mpg the XC is performing well. I have a few maintenance items to address such as the timing belt and transmission flush, but there's also a small exhaust manifold leak on cold starts. I have a Japanifold on my bench for such an occasion as I understand that is what all the cool kids are running these days [emoji1]. I also need to get some time to properly clean the interior and inspect/treat the exterior rust that may be forming. It's a proper old car now, but doesn't look or feel that way. Almost 10yrs of ownership and I still very much enjoy my P2 Wagon.

Discussion starter · #1,269 ·
Completed the disassembly phase in exhaust manifold extraction, luckily all the studs were able to be removed with only one stripping out the threads in the head. I have a helicoil repair kit on hand that will support the appropriate fix. Only issue is that I don't have access to an angle drill.... will need to buy one in the Makita flavour tomorrow. For now I'm just preparing everything. Going smoothly so far, will be going better when it's done.😉

Attachments

Discussion starter · #1,270 ·
Phase 2 is complete. Was able to get the stud drilled, tapped and coil inserted. Got all the gaskets in place with the manifold and turbo secured. Tomorrow begins Phase 3! The opposite of removal. [emoji1787]

Anyways. It was the first bolt that stripped. Thanks to the water pipe design it's hard to get at it straight. This is my solution!

It's a tight one!

Of course, what prompted all of this work is once again the exhaust manifold had a leak at #1, seems like I get 3yrs out of a gasket [emoji1]. Both manifolds seem flat tmas far as I can tell. Used a modified P1 gasket last time, this time around I went with the PITA individual gaskets, but really wasn't that bad. Hopefully this will hold until we vaporize all the dinosaurs.

[emoji3072][emoji91][emoji33]

Discussion starter · #1,276 ·
Just pulled the Viking on a 4k km trip round the east coast. The XC is still performing it's duties as a recreational vehicle very well. Had a few stop overs in Quebec, camped out in New Brunswick, rode a ferrie across the bay of fundy, ate crab, clams, lobster, mussels, scallops, and lots of craft beer.

Discussion starter · #1,289 · (Edited)
Got into it and completed the brake job. Rear pads had completely delaminted and ruined the rear rotors, front pads were pretty thin and looked to be lifiting off too. Both front and rear pads are Pagid. I did not expect them to be in this poor condition.

Replaced the rear parking brake hardware and shoes with PN: 31262874 for the XC90. Only difference with the XC90 shoes is the relief cut in the middle, otherwise they are the exact same profile. Not exactly sure how it affects performance, but I had to try them. The parking brake on this vehicle has been pretty weak, so after multiple attempts with servicing and trying different combinations of parts (old shoes being PN: 31262869) I think I've come across a winning combination between the Zimmerman rotors and XC90 shoes. After adjusting the cable and bedding them in the system performs exactly as it should. At two click it holds the vehicle, they grab instantly (no roll to engage), and will lock the rear axle for some sweet handbrake turns to impress the crowds at the local bowling alley... We will see how long that lasts, but for now I'm glad to have a parking brake that works.

I performed this job in two parts, completing the rears last night and the fronts this afternoon. Nothing complicated and rotated the tires while I was at it. I need to give the fronts a proper bed and test drive, but right now it's looking pretty nice with the Z coating still intact, too bad it can't maintain that look.

...it also need a serious wash.

I'll update later on once they are bedded in. If it wasn’t for the rear pads letting go I was going to push this service into next spring as I don't put on that many mile in the winter, but lucky to get this over with now vs. when the snow flies.

Time for a beer and a hot shower!

Cheer!

Discussion starter · #1,290 ·
Hey Guys,

Wow, has it been since October since I've last posted on here... I've been super busy with a new job, kids, and the never-ending home repairs and renovations.

Anyways, passed 10yrs of ownership back in December and to celebrate the Volvo got outfitted with a set of personalized license plates.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

The new brakes have been performing very well and the parking brake still holds the vehicle solid when engaged. Really happy with the corrosion resistance of the Zimmerman rotors.

So spring is fast approaching and I'm trying to get on top of maintenance items, the big one this season is timing belt, water pump, oil pump and seals. I've got a parts list of everything I believe I need to complete the services, but is there anything else I'm missing? Special tools? Tricks?

Font Darkness Screenshot Number Circle

The XC will be at 170k mi come spring. I've seen mention of the VVT hubs needing to be replaced, but for $440ea I'll hold off on them until I can inspect. Other than that I've got trans and brake fluids to flush and it shouldn't need to be touched again for a bit... knock on wood.

This winter has been lacking a good adventure! Hell, I haven't got out ice fishing and winter is almost over. Looking forward to longer days, warm weather, and tripping in the backcountry.

Cheers
[emoji482]

Discussion starter · #1,295 · (Edited)
Got into it yesterday and replaced the timing belt, water pump, and oil pump/front crank seal along with long overdue oil change.

Bag Chair Luggage and bags Auto part Electric blue

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

Had to get a set of small hand in there for the water pump.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Auto mechanic Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Locking hubs Gas

Front crank seal requires a tool to get the seal passed the crank shaft. Cut up a plastic sleeve which works just as well to get to press it in by hand.

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Rim Bicycle part

Gas Engineering Auto part Gear Machine

Wood Gas Tree Door Motor vehicle

Amazingly, all the parts removed flet just as tight and spun as free as new. WP is original with 170k mi on it, tensioner/idler/belt have 100k and 10yrs. Really felt like only item that needed to be replaced was the belt. Had plans to crack into the VVTs and front/rear cam seals, but they dry and the hubs still feel pretty tight so I'll let it be for now as there is some minor oil weaping from around the valve cover so those seals will get serviced if/when I get around to servicing that issue.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Glad to get this service out of the way and looking forward to 10 more years until the next change. [emoji1]

Cheers

Discussion starter · #1,300 ·
Hitched up The Viking and went camping over the weekend.

Plant Vehicle Wheel Sky Tire

Plant community Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle Tree

Long Point on Lake Erie.

Killed the battery using my 12V cooler. Normally the battery would have enough capacity to run the cooler for some time without worry, but after this past winter I'm sure it's time for replacement. It's only maintaining a 12.2V surface charge and the low battery warning has come up a few times, though it is still capable of staring the vehicle. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new H8 battery.

Anyways, the dead battery allowed me to test out my new toy!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Gadget Audio equipment

Picked up a Li-Ion boost pack over the winter. Always thought that these boost packs were a bit of a gimmick, I've had a Noco fail after three uses, but the Gooloo is well reviewed. First time using it on the XC, I have used it several times helping a neighbour in need, and so far I'm impressed with how well it works. It's able to boost completely dead batteries and kicks the starter over hard. Hopefully it lasts.

Discussion starter · #1,308 ·
That was mine. It's a Noco GB40. We have two, one for my dad and me, no issues with either of them.

Will has the pre-facelift version of it.
Had the same one. Thing went up in smoke trying to boost a MerCruiser 165 with a dead flat battery. Ended up pulling the battery from the XC to get it going.

601 - 620 of 1,490 Posts