SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
581 - 600 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
Well, stupid me. There's a small tear in on the CV axle boot. I guess what happened was when I was working on it last I didn't notice that one of the ribs on the boot was folded in and caused that part to fatigue. It's a very small tear, popped it out and just going to monitor if. Otherwise the axle still looks and feels ok.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Gorgeous scenery!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #589 · (Edited)
Bad Swede only suggests using the XC90 2.5t axles, but fitment isn't perfect. The stock XC70 axles have a spacer machined at the hub face where the XC90 axles are machined flat. You will need to add a spacer to the hub face of the XC90 alxe to properly fit in be XC70 hub/spindle.

What I have here is the XC90 lower front end. Still need to test fit, but I did a test run at the JY with it on an XC70 and it all looks promising with a small modification. The XC90 lower front end has cast iron arms and spindle, larger lower ball joint, and larger control arm bushing... A true HD upgrade. Also, the XC90 spindle mounts the strut mounts 0.5" higher which will add a small lift, but will also increase the tire to spring perch clearance (IPD cut up and welded plates to a XC70 strut for the same clearance) to fit larger tires .

Here's another preview of things to come...

...of course, I'm doing all this to avoid buying an XC90 for the ground clearance, and the wife has been eyeballing a 7 seater

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bad Swede only suggests using the XC90 2.5t axles, but fitment isn't perfect. The stock XC70 axles have a spacer machined at the hub face where the XC90 axles are machined flat. You will need to add a spacer to the hub face of the XC90 alxe to properly fit in be XC70 hub/spindle.

What I have here is the XC90 lower front end. Still need to test fit, but I did a test run at the JY with it on an XC70 and it all looks promising with a small modification. The XC90 lower front end has cast iron arms and spindle, larger lower ball joint, and larger control arm bushing... A true HD upgrade. Also, the XC90 spindle mounts the strut mounts 0.5" higher which will add a small lift, but will also increase the tire to spring perch clearance (IPD cut up and welded plates to a XC70 strut for the same clearance) to fit larger tires .

Here's another preview of things to come...

...of course, I'm doing all this to avoid buying an XC90 for the ground clearance, and the wife has been eyeballing a 7 seater

Thanks for the update. And let us know when there are more updates. I am watching your thread and plan to repeat all of this soon. Assuming it's a success.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My understanding was that you had to swap the out CV joint from the XC70 axle to the XC90 axle, is that not true? If adding a spacer to the front of the axle is all that is required that makes this swap quite a bit easier.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My understanding was that you had to swap the out CV joint from the XC70 axle to the XC90 axle, is that not true? If adding a spacer to the front of the axle is all that is required that makes this swap quite a bit easier.
I think we need to put a Guide together after we complete this. DIY axle swap thread.

I've read mixed info, and am confused to. Just need specs on that washer to find or machine one.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 · (Edited)
Young Satchel has already done this to his XC, he had custom spacers made to fit on the face of the axle. Without them the ABS tone ring will contact the XC70 spindle. I'll be installing the XC90 spindle and hub so I will not need spacers to fit the axle, but I was thinking it's possible to get KO reducing washers of the right size to fit the axle face.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-1-in-Rigid-Conduit-Reducing-Washer-68510/100158247

Unsure what sizes will work, but you can buy them in a range of sizes then punch out the center to fit. Custom spacers is the way to go, but the KO washers are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Young Satchel has already done this to his XC, he had custom spacers made to fit on the face of the axle. Without them the ABS tone ring will contact the XC70 spindle. I'll be installing the XC90 spindle and hub so I will not need spacers to fit the axle, but I was thinking it's possible to get KO reducing washers of the right size to fit the axle face.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-1-in-Rigid-Conduit-Reducing-Washer-68510/100158247

Unsure what sizes will work, but you can buy them in a range of sizes then punch out the center to fit. Custom spacers is the way to go, but the KO washers are dirt cheap.

So your saying getting the xc90 hub and spindle will bolt right up? This is including the LCAs right?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 ·
Where did you get your turbo from?
Purchased directly from ARD tuning.

Kinugawa is another option, but I strongly suggest that you try to find an original exhaust housing as the aftermarket housing are poor quality. Read through my thread for more information.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
Purchased directly from ARD tuning.

Kinugawa is another option, but I strongly suggest that you try to find an original exhaust housing as the aftermarket housing are poor quality. Read through my thread for more information.

On that note you want a 00 plus exhaust housing they're 7cm^2 up from
6 cm^2 and flow way better keeping exhaust temps down and power up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

581 - 600 of 1289 Posts