SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
521 - 540 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 · (Edited)
Changed out the sway bar bushings today after a year or 25k mi of use as the IPD bushings were well worn and had no grease at all, this caused the most annoying knocking over any and all road imperfections, not too impressed with their durability. I purchased 2 set of bushings as I was unsure which one would work. One set of MOOG 25mm (left) bushings and Energy Suspension 24mm bushings (right).

I installed the MOOG bushings first, but the bushings place the bar too low causing it to rub against the fuel line. The energy suspension bushings mounted the bar high enough, but there is no adjustment on the mounts to slide the bar back so the sway bar end link contacts the control arm. Not a big issue, just cut off a few threads on the endlink to provide more clearance. The 24mm bushings grasp the bar firmly and fit quite nicely. The grease zerks are a great feature and will make servicing the bushings in the future a breeze. The reason I went with 24mm bushings is that the sway bar has a bit of wear at the mount so I figured the 24mm would be a better fit. Took it out for a test drive and I can almost cry! No more clunking, rattling, or banging! Hopefully the energy bushings last as this isn't a fun job, but I am so glad to have a solid ride back!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Awesome. Thank you for posting this. As I'm kinda copying your setup and will be installing ipd sways and wanted the biggest and beefiest parts I can get.

So far I got the battery.

Suspension and brakes are getting mounted tomorrow.

Then badswede lift and shoes

And the 16T.

Edit:swype keyboards lol

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
2.5t xc90? I know you hang with youngsatchel....

Have you seen the setup or install first hand? I've been considering it to after reading your threads.

Front and rear? Or just front?

Wondering if I can squeeze 225/75r16 with the lift.

Do xc90 LCA fit?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
2.5t xc90? I know you hang with youngsatchel....

Have you seen the setup or install first hand? I've been considering it to after reading your threads.

Front and rear? Or just front?

Wondering if I can squeeze 225/75r16 with the lift.

Do xc90 LCA fit?

I helped Satchel install the springs. He has a shop install the axle and they required spacers to work at the hub. More information on his thread.

Only the front axles.

Anything is possible with a grinder and a welder . I'm running stock XC90 tires with a 29" diameter. Took some work, but the biggest issue going bigger would be the front spring perch. There's less than 1/2" clearance between the tire and the perch with the current tire.

XC90 LCA would not work alone, you would need the whole XC90 front end suspension, which from my understanding would swap over, but the rear suspension is completely different.

·
Registered
16,558 Posts
Changed out the sway bar bushings today after a year or 25k mi of use as the IPD bushings were well worn and had no grease at all, this caused the most annoying knocking over any and all road imperfections, not too impressed with their durability. I purchased 2 set of bushings as I was unsure which one would work. One set of MOOG 25mm (left) bushings and Energy Suspension 24mm bushings (right).

I installed the MOOG bushings first, but the bushings place the bar too low causing it to rub against the fuel line. The energy suspension bushings mounted the bar high enough, but there is no adjustment on the mounts to slide the bar back so the sway bar end link contacts the control arm. Not a big issue, just cut off a few threads on the endlink to provide more clearance. The 24mm bushings grasp the bar firmly and fit quite nicely. The grease zerks are a great feature and will make servicing the bushings in the future a breeze. The reason I went with 24mm bushings is that the sway bar has a bit of wear at the mount so I figured the 24mm would be a better fit. Took it out for a test drive and I can almost cry! No more clunking, rattling, or banging! Hopefully the energy bushings last as this isn't a fun job, but I am so glad to have a solid ride back!
I have the same problem with mine. How did you isolate the problem to the sway bar bushings?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 · (Edited)
Grab the vehicle by the roof rails and rock ir back and forth forcefully and listen for a knock. Jack it up, disconnect one endlink, drop it, and repeat test or take it for a easy drive. Unless they are completely shot I find it's hard to inspect or test for worn swaybar endlinks/bushings in the air without being loaded. The picture below is the old IPD bushing.

Another way of singling out sway bar issues, road imperfections that hit both front wheels straight on simultaneously like speed bumps or low curbs will not cause a loud knock or no knocking at all because the swaybar isn't loaded, only side loads or imperfections affecting one side of the vehicle will cause a loud knock or rattle. Not a perfect test, but something easy you can try on your daily drive.

·
Registered
16,558 Posts
Thanks. I think I am going to just disconnect the endlinks (so no swaybar loading) and take it for a little drive - however can't do that until the car gets back to me for son's spring break. I have already done outer tie rod ends, spring seats and end links. Thinking next course of action is LCA's and struts if it's not the swaybar bushings.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I helped Satchel install the springs. He has a shop install the axle and they required spacers to work at the hub. More information on his thread.

Only the front axles.

Anything is possible with a grinder and a welder . I'm running stock XC90 tires with a 29" diameter. Took some work, but the biggest issue going bigger would be the front spring perch. There's less than 1/2" clearance between the tire and the perch with the current tire.

XC90 LCA would not work alone, you would need the whole XC90 front end suspension, which from my understanding would swap over, but the rear suspension is completely different.

Can you expand on what type of spacers? I read something about washers or something for the ABS sensors... But that's about all I saw.

Also, what end links and bushing combo has worked best for you? Any part #?

Are you still running the moog end links?

Got IPd Sways in the mail, looking for a tough setup.

My 16T is in the mail also....i have a s60R exhaust and manifold waiting to be attached.... Would you say a R DP would cut it? Or a Bigger aftermarket?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Can you expand on what type of spacers? I read something about washers or something for the ABS sensors... But that's about all I saw.

Don't know. Check his tread.

Also, what end links and bushing combo has worked best for you? Any part #?

Currently using Energy Suspension bushings with grease Zerks and Mevotech endlinks. Check through my recent post and you'll find the enlinks. Alternatively, front endlinks from a 2000 Concorde will work just fine.

Are you still running the moog end links?

Only in the rear

Got IPd Sways in the mail, looking for a tough setup.

Elevate is also another option, but the IPD Guarantee is tough to beat

My 16T is in the mail also....i have a s60R exhaust and manifold waiting to be attached.... Would you say a R DP would cut it? Or a Bigger aftermarket?

Bigger is always better

See above

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
Thanks to the guys over on the P1 side, purchased and installed a DEM, sensor, and valve from a 08 XC90 V8 onto my 05 XC70. Can't say I notice much difference, but the fronts don't chirp when launching from a stop, need to test it on something loose to see how it really performs. Only issue, VIDA is unable to communicate module, otherwise the AWD seems to be working flawlessly. Going to test it out some more over the next few days, but this may be a worthwhile upgrade for Gen 2 haldex to gain instant traction and the XC90 V8 AWD torque split.

...stay tuned.

P1 Thread
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=558890&share_fid=17438&share_type=t

XC90 DEM Module and components

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·
Was raining last night so I took it out for a rip. AWD works quite well and feels predictable. Thought I'd notice a bigger difference around turns, but that could be because I'm running XC90 tires to begin with so maybe the XC90 DEM torque split is just balancing out the imbalance caused by the larger tires? Anyways, more testing required but happy everything seems to be working well. Still no faults codes set in VIDA, but the communication fault remains.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·

Just a quick test of the 08 XC90 V8 DEM.

Launched it at 2.5k RPM, felt quite solid. The video shows some front wheel slip before the rears engage, but comparing it to the video below this seems normal.

I still feel the biggest difference is the torque split. It feels more AWD and less FWD, but of course more testing is required .

As for communications, I feel everything is communicating just fine along the CAN network. It is only VIDA that is unable to communicate with the DEM.

521 - 540 of 1289 Posts