SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
481 - 500 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 · (Edited)
Opened up and cleaned out the oil catch can today. ~8k mi since install (6k towing and trips) using Mobile 1 0w40 and while I'm not exactly shocked by how much has accumulated, I'm more surprised at the sludge and varnish that has coated the can and the steel wool.

If this is what collected in my catch can over 8k mi, how are the stock breather and drain ports looking? seems like the PCV is just prone to clogging, or is it that the catch can is placed away from the engine heat and is much cooler, what condensed inside the catch can would not collect in a system that was operating at engine temperature, hence why Volvo has a heated PCV.

Anyways, this can is spliced into the vent hose from the stock breather to the intake pipe which vents pre-turbo, the can is meant to condense and collect the oil vapour that the stock breather did not catch to keep it out of my turbo and induction hoses. I'm glad that I installed it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 · (Edited)
I am curious about exactly where you plumbed your catch can in, did you cut into the line going from the oil trap to the intake?
No, stock breather hose is fully intact. It is spliced between the the PCV vent hose and the PTC element close to the turbo using a 5/8" straight barb. Not my picture, but might give you a better idea.

Just want to say again. For the majority of the miles the engine was loaded and in boost while cruising (3-5psi average, plus hill climbs), meaning that the PCV gasses would be vented to the intake pipe instead of the manifold (in boost manifold has positive pressure). I'd guess with normal usage, when the manifold would have a vacuum at cruise, oil vapour vents directly into the intake manifold and not the intake pipe resulting in less accumulation in catch can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Familiar landscape

Great thread man, read every word, and pleasantly surprised you like my backyard. I grew up in Toronto but settled in Peterborough, where else can you be in 5 lakes within 15 mins?

I used to own an 05 XC70 but it got stolen so we (wife and I) bought Subarus, but I missed the tank. So I bought an 06 and am curious about some of your mods. Will update on condition of wagon and priorities.

Great read and pragmatic mods inspire, thank you.

RC

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 · (Edited)
Wife and I have contemplated a move to Peterborough "The Canoe Capitol of The World" for that very reason, cash out of Toronto and find a nice spot with a bit more land... and a garage, but where we are right now with our lives and kids it is much easier to live in the city and brave the 3-4h drive in traffic to get to our favourite lakes.

...one day.

Next trip we have planned is Kawartha Lakes for a few nights, we've been going there quite often as it has great access and the sites are nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Next trip we have planned is Kawartha Lakes for a few nights, we've been going there quite often as it has great access and the sites are nice.
I've lived here 15 years and can't get enough of it, so much to paddle and explore. My boys are starting to "get it" so it's even more fun. If you need anything, let me know.

Btw, cashing out would not be a bad idea, as real estate is set to go through the roof once the 407 extension is opened. You can get a lot for $500K in rural Peterborough, the price of a condo in Toronto. Food for thought.

RC

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Ohhhhh Nooooo!

I butchered up my IPD Throttle Inlet Pipe

I've relocated the BPS/IAT and the WMI nozzle so that the WMI nozzle now sprays 12" upstream of the IAT. Intercooler outlet temp are not that high on normal runs, but on sustained boost while towing/hauling I have noticed the affects of heat soak, or at least the IAT is registering heatsoak and WMI downstream is able to keep the temps down. Will take some logs when I get the VIDA/DiCE plugged in with and without the WMI for a comparison.

Also, noticed that the nozzle was partially clogged with what looked like an oil/watermix, thinking this is caused by accumulation from oil in the intake pipes. Nothing too serious and was easy to clean, but I should inspect the nozzle more often.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #493 ·
Ohhhhh Nooooo!

I butchered up my IPD Throttle Inlet Pipe

Wasn't too happy with the way the WMI pipe/bung was setup, and I damged the pipe because I didn't have good hose clamps which caused a boost leak, so I fixed it up with a new pipe and bung, and with proper T-bolt clamps.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
"Adventure Protection"

Got under the XC today to check out a few things. Had a rattle that was coming from a loose brake line, retrieved a 13mm I lost months ago, and noticed a bit of oil collecting on the skid plate that looks like it's the turbo oil drain leaking...again , just going to ignore that for now. Also noticed that the engine and transmission has been making some contact with the skid plate.

There's no contact when it's on the ground, must be from hard use such as puddle jumping. Just bent down the tabs a bit and reinstalled the plate.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Or the lower mount is failing

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 · (Edited)
Nothing too exciting recently.

Had a rear rotor "warp" which caused an annoying vibration at high speed braking. Replaced both with centric high carbon rotors and that fixed the issue.

Also, since the temps have dropped the XC has been having a harder time starting. Left the wife stranded with the kiddos, and I had to jump it before work this morning... Installed an H8 battery today. I shouldn't have any more problems .

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Nice score. My mom wants me to do upgrade her audio too.

481 - 500 of 1289 Posts