SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
461 - 480 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kudos to Family Antherzoll for a remarkable journey! It's been decades since I did anything (remotely) similar- but the memories of this great country will be with your children for life. Well done.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
We've got a trip to Devon on Friday.

Over here we consider this "an epic trip" :D I think Shackleton took less stuff with him to the Antarctic.
HAHAHA.......I'm working with a girl from Ireland for the summer and she was having a hard time comprehending that I drove 900 miles to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina. Really is a different mindset. I see it sometimes in Rhode Island, too lol.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Kudos to Family Antherzoll for a remarkable journey!
Indeed. And with the kids I think some sort of medal is in order :D

HAHAHA.......I'm working with a girl from Ireland for the summer and she was having a hard time comprehending that I drove 900 miles to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina. Really is a different mindset.
Not long after we were married the wife and I did Sheffield to Nice which is more or less 1000 miles door to door. I think the drive was the best bit of the holiday. The autoroutes du Soleil were something else.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not long after we were married the wife and I did Sheffield to Nice which is more or less 1000 miles door to door. I think the drive was the best bit of the holiday. The autoroutes du Soleil were something else.
I've done 900 miles in one day. Granted not with kids. But driving wide open 80mph across the midwest, you can cover a lot of territory in a day.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
I've done 900 miles in one day. Granted not with kids. But driving wide open 80mph across the Midwest, you can cover a lot of territory in a day.
I've done that (Phila to So. Fl in one non stop shot) but not in over 20 years. Those last 4-5 hours is tough!!

Now, I can't drive much more than 30 minutes before I get some serious pain.
My major driving days are over...:(

Heck, I drove from Phila to LA in 49 hours and I SLEPT for 8-9 hours about half way into the trip!
Helps when you're 24 years old!

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
I've done 900 miles in one day. Granted not with kids. But driving wide open 80mph across the midwest, you can cover a lot of territory in a day.
Yeah that really helps. I did 700 miles from Roanoke to Boston a couple weeks ago and that last hour home from Providence was tough. Man the time really adds up fast when you're spending most of your day at 55 mph because VA and NYC.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Helps when you're 24 years old!
...and Cocaine

Thanks for all the replys guys, finally got the trailer unpacked and parked, the XC has been relieved of it's burden. It's good to be home, but I'm already planning another trip, likely with the canoe this time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
...and Cocaine
Eh, whatever! :rolleyes:
Actually the Phila to LA shot was more or less done straight, maybe a couple of joints on the lonely Rt. 66 out West back in the day. It was in a 912 Porsche Targa, groaning all the way when going up in altitude!:facepalm:
At 4000 ft and I think it may have had all of 80 HP!

Those were the days you could drive for miles and not see another car going in either direction, the OLD West!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Eh, whatever! :rolleyes:
Actually the Phila to LA shot was more or less done straight, maybe a couple of joints on the lonely Rt. 66 out West back in the day. It was in a 912 Porsche Targa, groaning all the way when going up in altitude!:facepalm:
At 4000 ft and I think it may have had all of 80 HP!

Those were the days you could drive for miles and not see another car going in either direction, the OLD West!
Holly crap JRL, are you on of the mystical immortals? How old are you? What do you mean there were no cars back then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did 920ish miles from Madison, WI to Northern NJ in one shot in 2015.

I left Madison at midnight Central time, and pulled in my driveway around 4pm the same day EDT.

I hit traffic in Chicago at around 2am, other than that it was 80mph on a straigh highway for the rest of the trip. I snoozed for about a half hour at a rest stop in Ohio just after sunrise.

I did it in a NA 2005 Subaru Legacy. Fully loaded, averaged 29.7 mpg. On the way out, I averaged 32.1 mpg. (Downhill coming out of the Appalachians vs uphill coming back is one thing I attribute it to.)

It was truly a feat, I slept for 14 hours straight afterwards. I miss doing trips over 6 hours. It's been awhile.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Holly crap JRL, are you on of the mystical immortals? How old are you? What do you mean there were no cars back then?
In the 1960s you could be driving on Rt.66, last TX, literally for an hour before seeing another car!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 · (Edited)
Canoe camping with the family this weekend in the Halliburton Highlands. This is one of our favourite spots to camp as it is not too well known so the sites aren't overused. With a little boat in boat action and the vehicle loaded up we set off.

Access to the lake is down a logging road, nothing special but I pieced together a video leading out from the launch back to the main road that I will post below.

It was raining pretty hard for most of the weekend, but there were some nice breaks in between storms.

Got hit hard by a storm cloud on the way out.

...beats being at home

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip on the campground
Nice photos ... glad you didn't get that tornado as some others did.

I'm not telling you which lake or site

Tornado? Where? The sky definitely looked scary enough for one. We were camping amongst 30-40m white pines and at some point we heard one come crashing down.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The pic in the canoe in the pouring rain....... was an intense flashback to my childhood. My dad would have passionately approved of your travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm not telling you which lake or site

Tornado? Where? The sky definitely looked scary enough for one. We were camping amongst 30-40m white pines and at some point we heard one come crashing down.
Challenge accepted! On the tornado, it was in Huntsville. Possibly two of them. Also a huge storm rolled through Perry Sound the same time you were up north.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 · (Edited)
Challenge accepted! On the tornado, it was in Huntsville. Possibly two of them. Also a huge storm rolled through Perry Sound the same time you were up north.

Damn!

Family owns a cottage around those parts, I've spent a lot of time in that area growing up camping, on the water, and on the trails in all seasons, Georgian Bay can throw up some crazy storms. We've been hit by some serious storms like white caps on big lakes and blowing over our tent in the middle of the night... not fun but all part of the adventure. I've been know to chance it with dodgy weather like this weekend cause it keeps the bugs and tourists away and too often the forecast is wrong and you end up with a decent weekend. Since we've had kids we generally keep away from big lakes and stick to flat water, paddle close to shore, and camp back in the woods for shelter, and are never too far from the car. We have bailed on a few weekends, and this weekend was almost one of them, but we were all set to go. Luckily we were quite a bit south from the major storms, a canoe and a tent is no match for a tornado . Scary stuff, will likely change the way I plan my weekends... or not

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Saddened that I am not as adventurous as you. My kids have been deprived! This was really nice to see and to read.
I did 850 miles back in the late 80s to Daytona beach to see a friend who had moved to attend embry riddle and stay to work after. My friend and I left north of D.C. Here after work on a Friday evening and we drove through the night in under 10 hours. I'm amazed that we lived, didn't get a ticket and that we lived. Yes, I mention lived twice- at 430 in the morning I just couldn't keep my eyes open any more and slowly drifted into the median and then woke up. I pulled over at the next exit and had my friend wake up so he could finish the drive and we were one exit away...
At one point when we were both awake- probably midnight, we were cruising around 90-95 or so (limit then was still 55) and we were passed by a trans am going north of 140. We were in shock as we had never seen it coming and it quickly disappeared... on the parallel side road to 95!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Damn!

Family owns a cottage around those parts, I've spent a lot of time in that area growing up camping, on the water, and on the trails in all seasons, Georgian Bay can throw up some crazy storms. We've been hit by some serious storms like white caps on big lakes and blowing over our tent in the middle of the night... not fun but all part of the adventure. I've been know to chance it with dodgy weather like this weekend cause it keeps the bugs and tourists away and too often the forecast is wrong and you end up with a decent weekend. Since we've had kids we generally keep away from big lakes and stick to flat water, paddle close to shore, and camp back in the woods for shelter, and are never too far from the car. We have bailed on a few weekends, and this weekend was almost one of them, but we were all set to go. Luckily we were quite a bit south from the major storms, a canoe and a tent is no match for a tornado . Scary stuff, will likely change the way I plan my weekends... or not
I hear you. Once in Restoule, in a camp, had to sleep under the bed due to storm rolling through. Later in the am, heard that a early in the evening the same storm, tornado F1 picked up 3 fishermen from the bed and deposited them in the middle of the lake. Needless to say... .

Love the rain tho, specially in the tent.

461 - 480 of 1289 Posts