SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
421 - 440 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
I like the side clips you've got too. I drive around like this..... more than I'd like to.

I've wondered if it could go on top of a basket for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 · (Edited)
Just put 300mi on the XC this weekend and the rack setup is solid with the canoe up to 75mph facing strong gusts. Only a one night trip, about a 2h paddle and across one portage. Rained and thundered like hell overnight, broke by the morning, but then we got caught in another storm on the way out. Thankfully the wind was at our backs and the weather was hot, the rain was welcome and the kids didn't seem to mind as they kept on fishing.

...this was a lifesaver!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just saw your post about your Carlisle camping trip. I didn't realize that you were camping at Poe Paddy. I've spent a lot of time on those mountain roads. My wife grew up about 10 minutes from there. And we currently only live about 45 minutes away. In-laws have a camp basically right next door. Maybe next year I could join you guys!

But did you find any of the old railroad tunnels while you were there?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 · (Edited)
Just saw your post about your Carlisle camping trip. I didn't realize that you were camping at Poe Paddy. I've spent a lot of time on those mountain roads. My wife grew up about 10 minutes from there. And we currently only live about 45 minutes away. In-laws have a camp basically right next door. Maybe next year I could join you guys!

But did you find any of the old railroad tunnels while you were there?
I was chatting with a few other campers on the last day that mentioned them, but we didn't have enough time. I will be planning another trip to Poe Paddy.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
Took some time today to install the turbo, also changed the oil and Installed a catch can 😎

As of today I'm at 3.7k mi (113724 mi) since install, and everything is running perfectly. The catch can is doing it's job, here's what has accumulated.

Not a lot, but enough. Still getting some accumulation at the connections, but the pipe is dry.

I'm quite happy with it's function.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
A bit ghetto, but fully functional. Mounted a tire to a spare thor wheel to have a full sized spare...then I roofed it

$55 tire, mounted, and balanced. It's a 235/55R17 Michelin X ice from 2815. While it's a different tire than my current BFG Comp2 AS, and it's a winter tire, it's a lot better than the donut. This will not be a permanent fixture on the XC, currently 6 hours into a 24 hour drive to Winnipeg, and then off to parts be beyond... I'll be covering something like 5,000mi and 100 hours driving over the next 3 weeks, figured $55 for a little insurance is well worth it.

Stay tuned! I'll try update as I go along.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
A bit ghetto, but fully functional. Mounted a tire to a spare thor wheel to have a full sized spare...then I roofed it

$55 tire, mounted, and balanced. It's a 235/55R17 Michelin X ice from 2815. While it's a different tire than my current BFG Comp2 AS, and it's a winter tire, it's a lot better than the donut. This will not be a permanent fixture on the XC, currently 6 hours into a 24 hour drive to Winnipeg, and then off to parts be beyond... I'll be covering something like 5,000mi and 100 hours driving over the next 3 weeks, figured $55 for a little insurance is well worth it.

Stay tuned! I'll try update as I go along.
Have a great drive man. Enjoy the trip! Tyre On the roof not ghetto at all. Very adventure like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Good call--It kinda looked wrong without it. Haha. Sounds like an epic adventure. Some of you Volvo dads make me feel like an underachiever. You are a brace soul...and I'm sure a very fun dad.

·
Registered
785 Posts
...it's a lot better than the donut. This will not be a permanent fixture on the XC, currently 6 hours into a 24 hour drive to Winnipeg, and then off to parts be beyond... I'll be covering something like 5,000mi and 100 hours driving over the next 3 weeks, figured $55 for a little insurance is well worth it.
I hear you. After my episode the other week I sourced another Mimas and it just fits in the wheel well. Not using that dumb spacesaver again.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Currently 1300mi into this trip and I still haven't reached Winnipeg. Driving through sunshiney North Dakota...roads for miles.

On my way up through Minneapolis last night I gave MN-TURBOR a shout to see if he was up for a quick meet. A few messages back and forth, and when I arrived at 1 a.m., MN-TURBOR and company organized a midnight meet up.

Pretty awesome. I'm really glad it worked out the way it did, talk Volvos with some local enthusiast and stretch the legs out for a little bit, also got some goodies

The trip so far has been going okay. I had to get a boost when I drain the battery in the parking lot, and I hit Chicago yesterday during rush hour traffic which was brutal. Oh and my fuel economy sucks. Currently averaging 15-16 MPG or 240 - 260 miles per tank, also pretty much running at 5 PSI constantly... wish me luck

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
That's a cool decal

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
You take such great trips. Awesome- a midnight meet for you!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That's awesome man! All of it...except the mileage I suppose. Which way did you go thru Chicago? Betting you weren't far from where we used to live. Hope you're having fun along the way...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
nice meeting up with ya!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
That's awesome man! All of it...except the mileage I suppose. Which way did you go thru Chicago? Betting you weren't far from where we used to live. Hope you're having fun along the way...

Going from East to west 90>294>290>90

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Going from East to west 90>294>290>90
Ahhhh yes, that would've been no fun anywhere near rush hour. We lived about an mile and a half from where 290 and 294 come together in a city called Elmhurst. I would've gladly offered cold beer, warm hospitality, Volvo conversation and playmates for your kids…but alas, life called us elsewhere. If your journeys ever take you down to the "heart of Dixie," the offer stands…

421 - 440 of 1289 Posts