·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Came off 850R...it's apart atm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I was under the same impression, and from my understanding Kinugawa is supposed to be a good brand.

I'm unsure where I could purchase a new OE hot side with out purchasing a whole turbo, and buying a used turbo just for the hot side seems wasteful.

I'm unsure what would be different on a D5, but it's not that bad and can be done without removing the angle gear if you have a bit of an imagination and a sense of humor. If you check the first page on this thread there's a "How To" on turbo removal. This time I fished it up and removed it through the top.

I found a place in Buffalo that remans turbos. They are called D&W and you may find parts you need. They do Mitsu and other turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·

New housing has arrived, that was fast. The casting looks identical, but it's hard to determine the quality. My best assumption is that this is an identical part to what was previously installed. I'll hang onto it for now, if I'm unable to source an OE 7cm2 housing I'll just run what I got and IRAN...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If it's the stock 16T off an 850R manual, then it's a straight flange.
I was mistaken, 98 VR

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Then it might be an angled flange, provided spec was the same for US and european markets in that department. Angled came about the same time as the ETM and updated electronics on the P80s.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
99 is angle flange

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 · (Edited)
Well did I not luck out!

Stock 16T with a 7cm2 exhaust housing for $160. Bought it off a guy who had it in storage for over a year. Came off of a 2002 S60 T5 with 140k km. The shaft is a little bit loose, and it can use a bit of a cleaning, but that's not why I bought it.

There are subtle differences between the two castings, but the OE housing feels like it is made of a better alloy and just looks like a better casting. Going to return this other housing ASAP!

·
Registered
19,392 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
I contacted ARD to inform them of my issues with the exhaust housing. I had stated that I was not looking​ for an apology​ or compensation for the part, I felt like it was important to inform them of the issue so they could be aware of the defects with this product. Well, in talking with Michele from ARD she had thanked me for contacting them and bringing this issue to their attention. She then offered to pay for shipping the part back to ARD for their own analysis and also extended a $100 USD compensation payment for my troubles. I say good on them for taking this issue seriously!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I contacted ARD to inform them of my issues with the exhaust housing. I had stated that I was not looking for an apology or compensation for the part, I felt like it was important to inform them of the issue so they could be aware of the defects with this product. Well, in talking with Michele from ARD she had thanked me for contacting them and bringing this issue to their attention. She then offered to pay for shipping the part back to ARD for their own analysis and also extended a $100 USD compensation payment for my troubles. I say good on them for taking this issue seriously!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nice!!!! I've always heard mixed reviews but lately it all is sounding positive! Good for them

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 · (Edited)
Took some time today to install the turbo, also changed the oil and Installed a catch can ?

Thought it was a good idea to install one while I had everything apart. Been having issues with oil getting under the hose connection and blowing off. Hopefully this will help. This is just some generic catch can off eBay, I ditched the fittings it came with then drilled and tapped a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" barb for a proper 5/8" hose to the PCV/PTC.

For the oil change I decided to change it up with Motomaster Formula 1 5w40 Synthetic. No real reason for the switch. It's ACEA A3, meets Prosche A40, and it was on sale

After everything was done the XC started up perfectly. Ran it around for a bit then it tripped a CEL and I was only able to make 7psi boost. Got it home, VIDA pulled up ECM-125C Boost Pressure Signal too high. Previous too all this work I had washed the engine bay with a pressure washer and shortly after the XC died at a stoplight, but then started up fine so I didn't think much of it. I had scanned it at the time and it set the same code, turns out my BPS got fried somehow from washing. Fortunately I have spares and swapped one in this afternoon, but that cut the test drive short and I was not able to test a WOT, that will have to wait for tomorrow

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
Porsche A40 isn't a very stringent spec, why not use a Mercedes 229.5 qualified oil like Castrol 0w40?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 · (Edited)
XC90 Brakes

Since I wrote up a review, on McShake's thread here's the Copy/Paste.

Going from Hawk HPS and 305mm Slotted Rotors to the 336mm XC90 blanks with OEM pads I'd say the new brakes lack the initial bite that the old setup had and what I was used to. In light braking it almost feels like nothing, but once you give it more pedal it bites well with noticeably more force. While the initial bite is less with the pagid pad, I feel like brake modulation is improved. Since the Hawk HPS pads are so aggressive they would chatter when coming up to a full stop or while inching, the pagid pads are quiet and are easier to control. Both are great pads, and I very much enjoyed the Hawk pads, I would recommend them. I was thinking of ECB yellows with this setup, but $250+ for pads front and rear was a bit steep.

I have logged ghetto 60-0 times using torque app with the old setup and I've been meaning to log times with this setup too see if they fair better with panic stopping, but yeah, warm weather is around the corner and soon it's time to get the trailer out and dust off the paddles so I don't know when I'll get around to it.

Will be interesting to see how these brakes handle the summer trips with a loaded XC. While I have not had any performance issues with the 305s I felt like I could have used more stopping power in certain situations. I have a 8k-10k km trip planned across Canada with the trailer, a bunch more around Ontario, and maybe a trip into Trump's America . Should be a fun camping season!

341 - 360 of 1289 Posts