Registered
2,423 Posts

HDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

Wishing you many many miles of Heavy Duty, High Definition travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Love seeing the progress over time. I have a quick question for you. I am in the process of upgrading my V70, and I would like to upgrade to 12" front rotors. I have searched without much success, so I was hoping you could fill me in on exactly what is needed. I think it's just rotors and caliper mounts, right? Do you happen to know the part number of the brackets? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Love seeing the progress over time. I have a quick question for you. I am in the process of upgrading my V70, and I would like to upgrade to 12" front rotors. I have searched without much success, so I was hoping you could fill me in on exactly what is needed. I think it's just rotors and caliper mounts, right? Do you happen to know the part number of the brackets? Thanks!
Here you go!

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?19259-Upgrading-from-11-quot-to-12-quot-front-rotors

Check Rockauto, they tend to carry the caliper carriers for cheap. Let me know if you need more information. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Awesome, thanks a bunch. One more question for you. Was the stage 3 tune from Hilton your choice, or did Hilton require you to purchase a 3 based on your mods? Seems to me that your car is very similar to a stock T5 now, tune shouldn't really be that far off a T5 tune. Just curious, as I am considering going with Hilton, and I am wondering what my initial investment is going to be. I probably just need to reach out to Hilton myself, but I haven't gotten there yet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 · (Edited)
I had myself a productive day.

That's right kids. XC90 front and rear brakes.

Rotors are Wagner Premium E-Coated, Pads are Pagid.

The calipers were a generous donation from a friend and fellow SS member , they were well used and were in need of a spa treatment. Once fully disassembled and the pistons ejected they went for a nice vinegar/brine soak to melt the rust away.

... much better.

Now some people at this point would decide on some radical colour to paint their fresh caliper for that ultimate effect behind the wheel. Me being me, I went with the best... Tremclad High Heat Enamel in Flat Black

Also rebuilt the calipers with new boots, seals, pin guides, and hoses.

Install was straight forward like any brake job with the exception of the larger caliper mounting bolts for the fronts, and the dust shield for the rears. To mount the front calipers to the spindle the bolt holes had to be enlarged enough for the M14 bolt. I used a 13.5mm or 17/32" drill bit then reamed out the hole to 14mm finish with an adjustable reamer.

Bleed it.

Slap the wheels on.

...and take it for a spin.

Initial thoughts, they are not as grabby as the other brakes but there is a noticeable difference in brake force. I can also feel the additional weight of the calipers/rotors in the steering wheel.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Well done! Ale is deserved (with 'ass kicking' logo).

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Damn that looks so good! The payoff for months of hard work! Enjoy the increased stopping power; perhaps it will keep you out of trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Nice work! Aside from the enlarged mounting holes and the brake shields, it all bolts right up and works good with OEM brake hoses and whatnot? They will fit behind OEM 17" wheels? Considering this myself, really wanna do my homework, as I really hate brake work.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 · (Edited)
Nice work! Aside from the enlarged mounting holes and the brake shields, it all bolts right up and works good with OEM brake hoses and whatnot? They will fit behind OEM 17" wheels? Considering this myself, really wanna do my homework, as I really hate brake work.
Well, right now I have XC90 wheels and of course they fit. I'll test fit my Thors when I get a chance.

Yes, beside what was stated it is 100% bolt-on on a XC70 because there is no steering limiter. For S60/V70s you'll need to enlarge the hole for the steering limiter and mount then with a longer M14x1.5 bolt as the original M14 from the XC90 calipers is not long enough with the steering limiter installed. I installed new XC70 hoses and they work. From my reading, others who have installed XC90 brakes on to S60/V70s were able to use their stock hoses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Awesome! Yeah, I was aware of the longer bolts, but not that the steering limiter had anything to do with it. Ofc, when I think about it it's logical, but the P80s had the limiter cast as part of the hub housing, not as a separate bracket like on the P2 Vs. Thanks, really appreciate it, just need to find four calipers and new discs now. You went with 336s?

301 - 320 of 1289 Posts