SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
241 - 260 of 1289 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 · (Edited)
As you guys may have guessed I was able to replace the collar sleeve today along with the transmission seal, axle seal, angle gear input seal, and I changed the AG fluid while it was out. The job was pretty straight forward, just like anything it's a process.

Ohhh, that's nasty. Getting up to this point was quite easy, pretty much just nut and bolt with a bit of lifting once the angle gear comes free.

Clean Up Clean Up. Splines on the angle gear look good to me, haven't seen a new one in person so I don't have anything to judge by.

Next up was tackling the collar sleeve. I've been pondering this for a while and kind of had an idea of how I was going to do it. Once the AG was removed I was laying on the ground with a few tools so I decided to give it a shot with what I had around, this is what I came up with.

Shade tree mechanic extraordinaire! I had to really hammer it but it came out with relative ease compared to what others have described.

For the seals a good pic set and a flat head works well to remove them. Trade size 2" ABS to push in the transmission seal and 1.75" for the angle gear, and the shaft seal in the collar sleeve can be done by hand.

Ohh la la.

Drained the AG, filled it with 75W90 GL-5, and as always, install is opposite of removal. Clean up, top off the ATF, pack up the site, and after a test run no leaks and all is well.

Including lunch break, setup and take down, it took me approx. 7h. A day well spent, and boy am I glad that I got arroud to changing out that collar sleeve, looks like it was ready to let go.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You never fail to impress with your shade tree antics! Good job man

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
You never fail to impress with your shade tree antics! Good job man
Hahaha, thanks man.

Ball end hex drivers are your friend on an AG job.
Well for removing the driveshaft flange from the angle gear. I have a set in 1/4" drive and use my driver drill to run them down, finish with the ratchet.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
That slide hammer is awesome! How long did it take to create it?

Haha, the difference between ghetto and brilliant is a very thin line, but I don't see any tape was used, so I think it's brilliant!

-------------

On a side note: I'm told another go way to remove the sleeve is to cut a slice in one side. It releases tension and it pops right out. Obviously that's most easily done with a grinder of some kind.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 · (Edited)
That slide hammer is awesome! How long did it take to create it?

Haha, the difference between ghetto and brilliant is a very thin line, but I don't see any tape was used, so I think it's brilliant!

-------------

On a side note: I'm told another go way to remove the sleeve is to cut a slice in one side. It releases tension and it pops right out. Obviously that's most easily done with a grinder of some kind.
In the moment I'm not sure how long it took. I took my time drilling using oil and stepping trying not to burn out the drill bit. I had my miscellaneous took bag close by, that's why there is an interesting assortment of tools, the long bolt is part of my disassembled spring compressor. If I were to do it agian I'd assemble the proper hardware instead of butchering my tools, but I'm hoping that won't have to be for a while :D.

I don't see how cutting into it would relieve tension, you'd need to cut it along it's whole length and there is only so far you can cut into before you're cutting into the transmission. I think that the angle grinder will heat up the collar sleeve causing it to expand and allowing for easier removal. I had ponder this as well and was going to hit it with a torch before tackeling it but drilling heated it up enough. Word of advise when drilling, safety glasses, gloves, and long sleeves, the shavings can be hot and will burn welts. The metal is fairly soft, no problems using a black oxide drill bit and it's still sharp.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 · (Edited)
Camping, toddlers, and car mods weekend in New York State with Young Satchel.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...y-XC70-Build&p=3803953&viewfull=1#post3803953

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...y-XC70-Build&p=3804049&viewfull=1#post3804049

Left the wife at home and took the boys (1y10mo and 3yo9mo) on 5 day/4 night camping/road trip. Launched off at 5am Friday morning.

Destination Devil's Tombstone Campground

Border crossing, gas and groceries, and a lunch stop, 9.5h later we arrived.

As you all can imagine, it was a busy keeping on top of Thing 1 and Thing 2 while maintaining a campsite. I should have taken more pictures, but whenever I had a moment I enjoyed the silence. I did take the boys on a few small hikes, and the campground had a very rustic playground that allowed for a nice break.

No cell phone service for miles, I had to drive approx. 10mins to get reception. It's a great feeling being disconnected from the electronic world.

(road side photo of my phone home stop)

Anyway, we camped out the first night by ourselves, Satchel and his flock joined the group the following day and stayed the night (more on Satchel's thread).

Thank goodness for Satchel's photography or else I wouln't have a single photo of our campout. Busy, busy. We got some time after the kids went down to enjoy a bonfire, some local brews, and good conversation. It's nice to meet up with someone and realise that they are a genuine person .

Sunday was moving day. Myself, I get bored if I stay in one spot for too long, too long usually being 2 nights. After breakfast and packing up, Satchel led us to the next campground then took off for home.

Woodland Vally Campground.

I really love this campground. Being a Monday/Tuesday stay it was practically empty. We stayed at site 16 and it was gorgeous. Again, no cell phone service.

Having the stream right in our campsite was a blessing. The kids played in the gravel and threw stones in the stream while I was able to setup and unwind.

(I'm not the greatest guitar player, I just like making it sound nice )

...also went for a few short hikes

Next day (Monday) was mods day . I shot the idea to Satchel a while back that if my adventures ever led me in his direction I'd help him install the lift kit. Well, my adventures did bring me and my "Impact Wrench of Thor" local to help "elevate" Satchel's build to the next level. Hopefully the lift will provide the needed support to get more dirty adventure pics . (more on Satchel's thread)

My boys loved terrorising his house while we worked away at the suspension. Besides some minor hicupps the install was pretty straight forward. I didn't get much of a test drive after the install (my kids would freak if they knew I left them), just enough to get it around to see if everything is tight, but man does it feel much higher than mine. Just getting in and out of the seat is more of a "jump" (although I'm 6'2") and "line of site" on the road is also increased. As mentioned, it does bob a bit more in the turns, but that is to be expected. A very nice upgrade for anyone considering a lift for their XC (almost makes me want to lift mine). XC70liftkit gets my

This weekend wasn't without some mods on my vehicle. IPD has owed me credit for a while on the return of a set of HD endlink (started clicking within 10k mi, replaced with Meyle HD no issues). So taking adavantage of free shipping to Satchel's house, I used up my credit and purchased...

...ain't nothing like fire side installs.

Tuesday was the opposite of removal as they say...

Was able to get the kids fed, washed up, the site packed, and on the road by 9:30am, made it back to T-Dot at 6pm with a few stops, tanked up before crossing the border, and a stop at the duty free.

Was a great trip and I'd like to explore more of NY state in the future. The main purpose of this trip was to see if I could handle a "Boys Trip" without the wife, planning it in NY and meeting up with Satchel was all a bonus. I'm glad that it worked out so well and the weather was great. Satchel, we are all expecting more adventure pics . I'm beat, still need to unpack, may leave it until the weekend, and writing up this post has taken up to much of my energy.

Anyways here's some random pics.

Cheers

My next trip

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Such a rad trip and a great trip report and photos! Was a pleasure to host you in my backyard.

I'd really encourage anyone contemplating doing something like this to take the plunge. I suppose it's a bit of a leap of faith (which we both took like pros ) but well worth it when the results are as fun as ours were.

This is only my second swedespeed meet up (first being with E-Rock a few moths ago) and both were really chill experiences. I had one or both kids with me for both, and it's a testament to the overall integrity of our membership that I felt comfortable doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
Ran out of time. I'm not proud of this but it'll do for the weekend until I can get back in there and fix it up.

(LOL Didn't realize I tied the wire)

Space is tight due to the splash gaurd. Thermostat is currently tied to the radiator support. Hoses are bent too sharply for my liking. I'd hate to use 3/8" 90*s but I may have to.

FYI:
Mounting bolts for the thermostat are 1/4" 20.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 · (Edited)
Well, looking at this picture again, think I plumbed the thermostat in reverse :facepalm:. No biggie, due to the design of the thermostat fluid flow is maintained, but the cooler outlet flows directly on the thermostat, meaning that coolant outlet temperature actuates the thermostat :facepalm::facepalm:.

Was a long day, tried to rush this in. One step forward, two steps back.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 · (Edited)
Had time to fix up the hose connections quick, would like to install a 45*s on the cooler side to relieve some of the bend. Anyways, for what it's worth, I went out for a drive last night (with the incorrectly mounted thermostat) and really gave'r hell by launching it multiple times from 1-3 (TC unlocked) without any cool down. 11*C-15*C ambient trans temp peaked at 100*C, then went for a highway cruise at 100km/h, took the temp 15mins to drop down to 80*C. Let it idle, temp slowly rose to 87*C then quickly dropped down to 77*C when the fan kicked on. The cooler was hot to the touch so it was cooling some fluid, will be interesting to see how it performs with a properly connect thermostat :p. Might try connecting the cooler straight up without the thermostat and logging the results.

241 - 260 of 1289 Posts