SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my V70R for coming up on 2 years now. I'm in Internet Sales at a Buick GMC dealer. One day in December of 2010 while walking through the trade in lot, I see the nose of this Volvo sticking out from a line of cars. I immediately notice the big brakes and go grab the keys from the salesman who took it in as a trade. 3 days later it was mine (for an offensively good deal) and I haven't looked back since. It's pretty rough the way it sits, but runs strong. I feel S4 Avants and E39 M5s beckoning my name daily, so the question pops up every once and again. "I wonder what could I get for the R?...."

Prepare for the most honest description of a car you have ever read.

First things first: This is a 2004 V70R in Sapphire Black with Gobi interior. Sunroof, broken six disc changer. It's a manual car, no mods other than resonator removal.

117,000 miles and ticking.

Now here is some full disclosure for your asses.

- The car was bingo'd hard. From what it looks like, it was t-boned on the passenger side at some point in it's life. The entire roof panel had been replaced.
- The driver's fender has a baseball sized dent in it.
- It is riddled with door dings.
- The front has highway rock chips everywhere.
- 2 of the 4 shocks are on their way out and ride height is lower than stock as a result.
- As you all know, the soft leather shows it's age quite poorly. Nothing shocking, but the driver's seat looks like it's had an ass in it for the past 9 years.

All that said, the engine runs strong, trans shifts smooth, and the 4C does still work. I've replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner, along with all the fluids in the car. For what I paid for it, it has been absolutely incredible. It drives great. I've never experienced any "side hop" or anything like that.

So, knowing what you guys know as aficionados of these cars. What would you pay me for my R?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How many miles? Pics?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
see above
need pics

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Miles added, no pictures at the moment. I'm not going to take any numbers to the bank here guys, I'm just looking for a ballpark.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
8k max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I personally wouldn't spend $8k on it though from your description.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just bought a nearly flawless interior and exteriored without blown shocks and dents that hasn't been beaten on S60R with 104K miles for $8300.

I wouldn't pay more than $6500 or $7000 for yours from the description. Not to say you can't get more, but that's what I would have tried to pay.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always guessed around the $8,000 mark. The previous owners had obviously not really treated it well but I've taken good care of it. All damage/blemishes on it were done before I purchased it. I'd agree that $6500 or $7000 would be fair for an S60R in this condition, but it seems the manual wagons are much more sought after, and probably worth a bit more.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I passed up a number of 6MT wagons while looking (my wife didn't want two Volvo wagons), and the prices seemed to be pretty comparable to the SR. Maybe about $500 more.

Like I said, I wouldn't pay more than MAYBE $7000 for it.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
if the AWD works I'll take it off your hands sight unseen for an offensively good deal.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
wow...mega miles on that 06...8k tops assuming the shocks are not leaking yet and the t-belt/pump was done.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yeah, like I said, I looked at it, shocks seemed fine, T-Belt was done, don't remember when, but it was a before 120K.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
709 Posts
Since you work at a dealer, why not ask your dent guy to pop out the dents and dings on it ? I know DentDoctor USA does the rounds for all big dealers here, as well as mobile wheel touch up guys, etc.... Seems like they'd want your business and would be willing to cut you a decent rate on smoothing out the sheet metal on the R.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've thought about it, but I wasn't sure it'd be worth the money/If they do a really nice job. I feel like finding a really good body shop is harder than finding a good mechanic.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've thought about it, but I wasn't sure it'd be worth the money/If they do a really nice job. I feel like finding a really good body shop is harder than finding a good mechanic.
Prices have dropped significantly over the past 5-7 years. $300 max could clean up the car a lot and really help it show better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, it might be worth looking into. Unfortunately my body shop is great with body work but not so hot with paint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts