SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Past weekend i've had the time to debadge my xc90 volvo letters and space them apart like the newer models have, so i've decided to share how i did it.
Letters came off quite easily, i used hair dryer to heat the surface but checking with my finger all the time so the heat didnt damage the paint. After the glue became soft (the letters should be easily jiggled with fingers) i used dental floss wrapped around my fingers and slowly sawing through between the letters and the car but remember to pull the floss away from the paint so you wont damage it.
I did this letter to letter only leaving the L letter glued which i later used as ma centre point for the spacing.
After that was done the only thing left was to clean the area of the remaining glue that was left on the paint.. I used some paper towels and some basic kitchen cleaning produtcs, anything will do just be careful that you dont use something too agressive that will eat or fade the paint.
After just polish the area so the ghost of volvo isnt seen no more ( do this slowly and in circulal motion.
Then you need to clean the back of the letters that were removed of the remaining glue, you can use a knife, isothropic alcohol and hair dryer to soften the glue ( i comes of quite nice ). Then you need 3M double sided tape, glue it to the back of the letters and carve the tape around the letters so it gets proper V or O shape.
For the spacing i used measuring tape ( helps if you use soft one ) and some crap tape to make straight lines on the trunk. Then i spaced the letters 8,9cm apart which i believe is around 3,5inches and just taped the letters.
That is all, hope anyone finds this helpful. If anyone have suggestions of how this should be even easier or less complicated feel free to leave a comment below.
Also if there is any other mods you've done feel free to describe how you did it.
Before i started

and the end result (maybe the O is a bit sideways, will need to repair this one day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking at a 2009, so Id like to do this as well I think. It is more ascetically pleasing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at a 2009, so Id like to do this as well I think. It is more ascetically pleasing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah it definetely freshens up the rear end of the car, I'm also thinking about getting 07+ rear bumper and taillights, but first i'm searching for chrome trim under the volvo letters, been searching it on ebay but costs almost a fortune (about 90 dollars) which is way too much even for OEM part.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow optical illusion... the V O L V O setup makes the letters look a lot larger. Is it the same size for the newer XC90s?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah came to my surprise as well as i was eying volvo letters on ebay which cost quote a bit, when my friend bought xc60 which has new style v o l v o emblem on the back so i took a measuring tape and found out that the letters are exactly the same.. Quite an ilusion indeed :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I found spaced letters on eBay for $33. Not to bad considering it's a European car. Took the easy way out, but now we have a template for possibly spacing and moving the letters on our V70XC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts