SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a 2001 v70 t5, (I know Crazy, but its really cheap and has a ton of maintenance records including $1500 of recent service including new tires etc...), i have some mechanical skills, and i know changing these transmissions is not a big job (All Data lists this as a 4 hr job, which means it will take me 4 days) i did a search, and other than a lot of manual swap stuff (Which i might do) i was wondering what year auto transmissions would work here, and from what cars (IE s60, v70 etc...) thanks ss

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
It's 9 hours to swap a transmission. That's with a lift.

·
Registered
16,855 Posts
Schwabe68 said, "All Data lists this as a 4 hr job, which means it will take me 4 days." I LOVE THAT - so hilarious! This is typically what happens to me, with everything. Kudos to you for giving it a shot. Let us know what happens, and send some pics!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just posted a DIY on volvospeed for AW55-50/51 repair. Unfortunately VS is down for maitenance right now or I would link over.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You're reading the wrong thing or it's just wrong
Flat rate is 10 hours for an AWD, 9 for a FWD

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Need details: Is this the original trans? How many miles? Its possible that its a good one and that he might get a real lifetime out of it. There are people who have put 300K on their original Dodge or Honda minivan transmissions too. Its just the broken ones get the press.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need details: Is this the original trans? How many miles? Its possible that its a good one and that he might get a real lifetime out of it. There are people who have put 300K on their original Dodge or Honda minivan transmissions too. Its just the broken ones get the press.
I do not know if this is an original trans, no trans service in the huge stack of maintenance records, which i think is the problem, as to the job, i do have a lift and am looking forward to taking this on, just wondering what transmissions will fit on these, by the way my local shop was the one who quoted me 3-5 hours of labor as per All Data, and they have done a few of these.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If it's a low mileage T5 then the trans could be fine and you can correct what went wrong with the 01 before getting a whole new tranny. B4 servo and software, upgrade them both to the latest equipment and software and the care shouldn't have any issues other than regular maintenance.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's a low mileage T5 then the trans could be fine and you can correct what went wrong with the 01 before getting a whole new tranny. B4 servo and software, upgrade them both to the latest equipment and software and the care shouldn't have any issues other than regular maintenance.
The car has 170K, is 350.00 car, so i have some room to play, any idea on what trans would work here (Year ranges. models?????)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would still be interested in knowing why the immediate tranny swap. could be taking a perfect transmission out for no reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, any AW55 won't work. After 03 you cannot swap into 01-02. Anyways, VS is back up here is my write up.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/171009-project-aw55-5051/
Do you know why the 03 and up transmission will not work in the older cars? I ask because I just purchased an 01 xc that needs a trans. and my boss gave me a good trans. out of an 04 for free. I have read a lot of posts saying this swap is not possible but nobody has a reason as to why.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Do you know why the 03 and up transmission will not work in the older cars? I ask because I just purchased an 01 xc that needs a trans. and my boss gave me a good trans. out of an 04 for free. I have read a lot of posts saying this swap is not possible but nobody has a reason as to why.
Pretty sure its because your car's ECU won't accept the 04 trans, and that you can't use the 04 ECU b/c it won't plug 'n play with modules designed pre-refresh.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have never sat down and looked at both wiring diagrams, but I have swapped an 04 trans into an 01 at a used car dealers request and it shifted horribly. The trans was taken out of a perfectly fine 04. We then swapped in ANOTHER trans from an 01 and it shifted like any other 01. I know that's pretty vague, but I advised the used car dealer it was a bad idea and he said do it anyways. Never had the time to inspect the differences between the two. The 03+ has a much different valve body and my guess would be the software programming in the TCM for the 01-02 cannot properly control pressures in the later models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have compared the signal specs in VIDA for both cars and all the TCM signals are the same voltage on the same terminals, so I figured it was something inside the valve body or solenoids. Unfortunately my trans is completely burned up and the car won't move or else I would just buy a valve body. I may try using the trans go kit to rebuild my solenoids and install the shift kit in my 01 valve body and see if that will work in this 04 trans.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have compared the signal specs in VIDA for both cars and all the TCM signals are the same voltage on the same terminals, so I figured it was something inside the valve body or solenoids. Unfortunately my trans is completely burned up and the car won't move or else I would just buy a valve body. I may try using the trans go kit to rebuild my solenoids and install the shift kit in my 01 valve body and see if that will work in this 04 trans.
I have also wondered the same, if you put an early valve body with the updated solenoids into an 03+ transmission. If you decide to do this swap please let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be trying to make this work somehow, and I'll post back if it works or not. I may not get around to working on it for a couple of weeks though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts