SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bougth an S60 AWD and I am getting ready to tow a couple of dirt bikes on a utility trailer. The trailer weighs 780 lbs. and the bike weigh about 300 lbs each. So the total comes to around 1380 lbs. I bought the Volvo trailer hitch because the quality seemed to be there, but a few of the guys on the forum mentioned that a tranny cooler would be good for another guy who was looking to buy an older Volvo to tow a boat with. What do you guys think about the S60 for my purpose. Do you see the need for a tranny cooler or trailer brakes?<P>

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shanbrom:<BR><B>I just bougth an S60 AWD and I am getting ready to tow a couple of dirt bikes on a utility trailer. The trailer weighs 780 lbs. and the bike weigh about 300 lbs each. So the total comes to around 1380 lbs. I bought the Volvo trailer hitch because the quality seemed to be there, but a few of the guys on the forum mentioned that a tranny cooler would be good for another guy who was looking to buy an older Volvo to tow a boat with. What do you guys think about the S60 for my purpose. Do you see the need for a tranny cooler or trailer brakes?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Don't even bother! Your car is rated to tow up to 3,300 lbs. So, pulling less than 1/2 of that does not require such an addition.<P>Yannis<BR><P>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,<BR>but how do you know its all right? Also, what about the synthetic oil and tung weight issues?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shanbrom:<BR><B>Thanks,<BR>but how do you know its all right? Also, what about the synthetic oil and tung weight issues?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What do you mean "how do I know it's alright"??? I just told you that your car is rated to tow up to 3,300 lbs. and you want to two 1,300-something...do the math!<P>Synthetic oil is highly recommended, I am sure that 99% of the people here would agree with me.<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I mean by "how do you know?" is at what point does a transmission cooler become a useful addition for towing. The point is that I don't know what calculations the engineers use to determine these things and that is why I'm asking. I never implied that your answer was wrong, I only asked how you came to your conclusion. The answer you gave may be right, but I am just as capable of making that type of assumption as you are. Give me some more info on transmission coolers or how much loads affection transmission tempertures in an S60 Trany and I will be more convinced. I already knew what towing capacity rating the car has, but that was not my question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts