SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know there are many threads for tire suggestions, but I have some specific questions here. I am in need of my 4th set of 18's after only 92,000 miles on my '04. In addition I had 17" winter tires for 4 winters, and have replaced 2 more tires due to bubbled side walls, to go along with three bent rims repaired.

At this point I'm just looking for an 18" tire that will last over 30K that doesn't have such soft sidewalls that I cringe everytime I hit a break in the pavement. Performance is now well down on my list of needs (along with tread life & side wall I'd add in smooth/quiet ride, price, then performance). My current Yokohamas have been crap & need replacing after only 22k miles.

Any suggestions? Should I change size to help with the sidewall strength? I'd like to keep it under $200 each if possible, the lower the better as long as they aren't junk.

Also, my right side looks to be much more worn than my left on both tires. Could there be an alignment or other issue that would cause that?

·
Banned
170 Posts
I can't comment on tires mainly because I don't know what's available in these sizes yet... The car I just purchased has Goodyear F1' (an all-season variety I believe) and while I like them for ride/performance, I'm not a Goodyear fan to begin with...

I can say that I've used Yokohama's before to well over 80,000 miles on other vehicles, so I have reason to suspect that something else is "eating" your tires - either your driving habits, or the maintenance of your vehicle.

I managed a Goodyear Auto Service Center (yeah, and I'm not a fan - you read that right) and can tell you that uneven tire wear on the outer edge especially is an alignment issue - those wheels are likely toed-in too far. However, the fact that it's both tires on one side does cause some concern - almost as if the vehicle is tracking incorrectly. I wonder if - when driving straight - your rear tires are not directly behind your front tires. In otherwords, you're actually driving slightly sideways. This is commonly called thrust angle and is more of an issue in trucks, but it COULD be present here.

Also, worn suspension components (balljoints, end-links, or control-arm bushings) can cause unusual and even unpredictable tire wear. Honestly, I've seen it all.

If you were at my shop I'd obviously start with new tires, then do a complete, 4-wheel alignment while checking for suspension/steering wear. Even worn coil springs can cause tire wear, though it's usually what's referred to as "cupping" - not wear on a particular side.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
You need at least "Y95 XL" rated tires and good pressure to help the tire.
I run 42psi in the front and 38 in the back. perfect even wear. Never had a single tire failure with the S60R +114K(KM) Pzero Rosso's and nor with my 850 +170K(km) Pzero asymetricos

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dont feel bad, I left the dealer lot with my R with the hairs/lines still in the tires about 28 days ago, I just replaced them cause they were bald as hell haha (im a very spirited driver and i live 50 miles into the mountains)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
So I've been using Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas for the past two summer seasons. Well, more than just the summer. I was on my first set for a fair amount of time, I think in the ballpark of 30k.

My current set, I had from Summer last year, well into November, when I finally tossed my snows on. Then in March the Vreds came back on and have been on ever since. I have no idea how many miles I've put on them, but it's been quite a lot.

They have strong sidewalls, with rimguards built in. They are a fully summertime tire, I've driven with them in light snow and it's sketchy to say the least.

My last set was $205 a tire(Thanks again George!)

They're not Max performance tires, but rather ultra? So not the absolutely highest tier of street performance tire, but they're up there.

They also look damn cool:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have noticed a significant difference in ride between my Continental DWS tires and my new Bridgestone RE970AS tires. The new tires don't shudder over most bumps and I have noticed a significant change in ride quality for the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts