SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the car it had Cooper all seasons. I changed rims and had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. The coopers outperform them hands down IMO. Also, the Coopers have MUCH wider shoulders; rub is worse but the stance is just so nice.

The Pilot Sports made it look like a regular S60 from behind - the Coopers make it look like a performance car. So I'm over the rubbing. What other moderately priced, good performance a/s's have nice wide shoulders?

The Conti's and Yokohama's are top on my list. I just want to make sure the stance stays as sexy.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I want is treadwidth?

But, from tirerack:
1) there is no industry standard pertaining to "how much" of the rounded shoulders should be included in the tread width measurement.

2) Several tire manufacturers have chosen not to publish tread width dimensions.

Treadwidths vary on tirerack by nearly 2", and section widths are all within about .5". These are not going to accurately tell me how early the shoulder rounds out.

For reference - I measured a 2.2" difference, on whats TOUCHING the ground, while on the car, from the Coopers to the Michelins. I'm telling you, the Coopers LOOK MEAN in comparison.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (imageomega)

Quote, originally posted by imageomega »
I think what I want is treadwidth?

But, from tirerack:
1) there is no industry standard pertaining to "how much" of the rounded shoulders should be included in the tread width measurement.

2) Several tire manufacturers have chosen not to publish tread width dimensions.

Treadwidths vary on tirerack by nearly 2", and section widths are all within about .5". These are not going to accurately tell me how early the shoulder rounds out.

For reference - I measured a 2.2" difference, on whats TOUCHING the ground, while on the car, from the Coopers to the Michelins. I'm telling you, the Coopers LOOK MEAN in comparison.

THat should not be the case with the same width tires. That is a lot of variation.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: (imageomega)

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S!! Nice square shoulder - phenominal tire. One of the best I have tried in 20+ years. Handling is great and the wet/dry/snow performance is fantastic. The 235/40-18's were about $160 each.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: (jrgoffin)

Quote, originally posted by jrgoffin »
Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S!! Nice square shoulder - phenominal tire. One of the best I have tried in 20+ years. Handling is great and the wet/dry/snow performance is fantastic. The 235/40-18's were about $160 each.

+1 F1 A/S great tires but rub like mofo

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: (s140s)

Quote, originally posted by s140s »

+1 F1 A/S great tires but rub like mofo

Put a few washers under each steering stop and pull out the metal plates in the fender well and problem solved! Even with the rubbing, still worth it - an awesome tire!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.