SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the car it had Cooper all seasons. I changed rims and had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. The coopers outperform them hands down IMO. Also, the Coopers have MUCH wider shoulders; rub is worse but the stance is just so nice.<p>The Pilot Sports made it look like a regular S60 from behind - the Coopers make it look like a performance car. So I'm over the rubbing. What other moderately priced, good performance a/s's have nice wide shoulders? <p>The Conti's and Yokohama's are top on my list. I just want to make sure the stance stays as sexy.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: Another tire question... (imageomega)

On tirerack.com you can compare section widths by using the sorting tools for various brands

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I want is treadwidth?<p>But, from tirerack:<br>1) there is no industry standard pertaining to "how much" of the rounded shoulders should be included in the tread width measurement.<p>2) Several tire manufacturers have chosen not to publish tread width dimensions.<p>Treadwidths vary on tirerack by nearly 2", and section widths are all within about .5". These are not going to accurately tell me how early the shoulder rounds out.<p><br>For reference - I measured a 2.2" difference, on whats TOUCHING the ground, while on the car, from the Coopers to the Michelins. I'm telling you, the Coopers LOOK MEAN in comparison.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (imageomega)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>imageomega</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think what I want is treadwidth?<p>But, from tirerack:<br>1) there is no industry standard pertaining to "how much" of the rounded shoulders should be included in the tread width measurement.<p>2) Several tire manufacturers have chosen not to publish tread width dimensions.<p>Treadwidths vary on tirerack by nearly 2", and section widths are all within about .5". These are not going to accurately tell me how early the shoulder rounds out.<p><br>For reference - I measured a 2.2" difference, on whats TOUCHING the ground, while on the car, from the Coopers to the Michelins. I'm telling you, the Coopers LOOK MEAN in comparison.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>THat should not be the case with the same width tires. That is a lot of variation.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post a pic when it stops raining. (and needs, thats 2.2" for the rear. 1.1" each tire. but 2.2" of contact in each f/r is a lot of traction.... seemingly)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: (imageomega)

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S!! Nice square shoulder - phenominal tire. One of the best I have tried in 20+ years. Handling is great and the wet/dry/snow performance is fantastic. The 235/40-18's were about $160 each.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: (jrgoffin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jrgoffin</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S!! Nice square shoulder - phenominal tire. One of the best I have tried in 20+ years. Handling is great and the wet/dry/snow performance is fantastic. The 235/40-18's were about $160 each.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>+1 F1 A/S great tires but rub like mofo

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: (s140s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>s140s</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>+1 F1 A/S great tires but rub like mofo</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Put a few washers under each steering stop and pull out the metal plates in the fender well and problem solved! Even with the rubbing, still worth it - an awesome tire!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts