SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Getting close to having to replace my timing belt.
Sooooooo i wanted to ask a few questions.

I drive my car hard. Like really hard, like everyday pedal to the metal hard... hard enough to get 18.1 MPG on average. Lol.

Is there any precautions i should take and do it sooner than usual? Only thing im afraid of is running it too long without a chain change and it popping off or something. Because if that happens im either going to sell the car for a stupid low amount, or drop a T5 motor in there. The car is paid for soooo it probably will be the later option.

Andddd that brings me to this question... When should i do my timing belt?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The manual says 120,000 miles or 192,000 km.

I'd recommend getting the kit when you're around 115,000 and get the water pump too

I did my timing belt at 210,000km for reference. I'm almost at 400,000 km and I'm thinking about doing the timing belt (pulley, etc.), as well as all of the belts and water pump again.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
You don't say how many miles you have...
I'd say do it at 90-100k. You'll have peace of mind & probably be all done with it for the rest of your ownership time.
IMHO skip the water pump, they are almost always good in excess of 200k. How many people with bad water pumps have you read about in this forum?
Definitely do the accessory belts.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i did not do water pump my first timing belt change (107k). i will be doing it with my next change in about 4 months.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As stated on another thread I work on volvos 60 hours a week and have seen enough tensioners and water pumps kill engines to know to spend the extra 50 $. At my shop we always change any volvo I5 at 100-105k with continental belts INA tensioners and volvo waterpumps we have never in 20 years had a timing belt kit we did kill an engine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts