SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my story... after replacing virtually all of the front end parts bearing axles, control arms etc...
after the engine replacement in July,
I was hoping to get at least another year out of my 2005 V50 AWD. Yesterday on the rainy pavement I was spinning my front tires. So now the AWD isn't working.
I have noticed that:
  • I need a rear bearing.
  • The pump sound which I will describe as whoop, whoop whoop that you hear at startup and other times is missing.
  • There now seems to be another constant higher pitched steady sound coming from the front (do you listen to your car constantly and pray?)
  • There was no slip light on the dash when the tires spin.
  • No codes from my Amazon wifi OMD11

Any ideas for solutions, which won't break the bank?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mechanic's son is interested, but I think he is thinking $1500. The new engine was twice that, that's why I want another year.
Can I go without AWD?

·
Registered
301 Posts
As terrific as AWD is when it is working, it is really expensive in the long run and a not really necessary feature on a car. Volvo made non AWD cars for decades that were awesome, so I have never really understood the need the mass manufacture the AWD models, but my guess is it has to do with some kind of market analysis for sales in colder climates, much like the Subaru thing. I have never really understood that Subaru thing, and also that they all sound like lawnmowers too. In any case Consumer Reports did some study that showed that overall a 2 wheel drive car with snow tires is actually better than an AWD with regular tires, and almost no AWD car owners swap tires either, maybe more AWD Volvo owners swap seasonal tires.

So Torrens, put snow tires on it and keep on driving....

·
Registered
838 Posts
Brad, I've owned five Subarus. I lived in the north east (Hudson Valley) where there were plenty of hills. I had separate winter and summer wheels. The AWD felt very hunkered down, I think it was a great benefit not only in the snow but in the rain also. My 2012 S60 is my first Volvo, it does feel like a tank, but most FWD cars feel very tail happy and insecure in bad weather. I've been able to get in and out of parking spots with a foot or two of snow without any slipping or drama with my Subaru's I don't think it would be the same with a FWD car. I like the AWD I wish my S60 had it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you both, this weekend the snow tires were going to go on anyways. This car has been a money pit, and my wife is ready to dump it, and she has decided that the next car will be a red Impreza.

Are there any things I should try to get the AWD back? Is the DSTC gone?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Ry, ya know I would probably want the AWD if I still lived in Colorado where I grew up, but now in Texas, so occasionally we get some ice, but not much snow. And the 850T works just fine in the rain with good tires. We have a lot of people driving AWD SUV and such here, I think in warm states it is total salesmanship by the dealers. I see you are up there in Ontario - that makes sense up there - my mom' family was from up that way.

Torrens, Yeah I understand what your wife is saying, but ironically, the worst time to get rid of car is right after your poured a bunch of money in it. I cannot speak to the repairs part on the AWD specifically. But even if you choose to repair it and drop 2 or 3 K in it you could probably drive that car another 10 years with very minor repair costs as long as the engine is solid. The Volvo can be a expensive car to repair, but over the long haul it more than pays you back - in love and reliability. I think financially you come out better than even on a Volvo, if you view like a long term relationship - but of course your wife might get jealous :)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Ok, I wouldn't necessarily give up on it (yet) - pump, not too expensive and wheel bearings aren't too bad either. Whatever used car you buy will need maintenance, so it's just a matter of which one you want to put money into.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Ok, I wouldn't necessarily give up on it (yet) - pump, not too expensive and wheel bearings aren't too bad either. Whatever used car you buy will need maintenance, so it's just a matter of which one you want to put money into.
+1

but ironically, the worst time to get rid of car is right after your poured a bunch of money in it.
So true

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can anyone give me some information on the pump. My Google search yields a $1100 part. Tell me this can't be right, please.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mercdude, Thank you! this is added to my Ebay watch list. Last night we had wet roads and leaves, and I couldn't get it to slip. AWD is back? I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe the pump is on its way out.
Should you be able to hear working, or not?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
No, it's an active-on-demand (AOD) coupler. (In case you don't already know) The pump operates only when wheel slip is detected and that pump, hydraulically, tightens a clutch that then activates your rear wheels. Keep an eye on it, keep testing it. If it's not working too often then it could be the fluid, filter, or pump isn't working. Have you serviced it? Btw, the only pump that would be working non-stop is your fuel pump, but you shouldn't be hearing that much either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. No have no knowledge of how the AWD and back end work. All of my problems to date have been in the front end.
What exactly is the coupler? and could it be replaced? Would a fluid change help anything?
So many questions?
As I was installing my snow tires this weekend I peered up and saw the Haldex unit. My driveway slopes, so I'm always fearful of it slipping down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts